Mikrokopter Hunting down RFI problems

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yesterday I took the AD6 off the shelf where its been parked while I've been playing around witrh the WKM hex, wanted to give it a test flight and make sure everything is good to go before putting the Nex 5N on it. Got off the ground and first thing I noticed was a strong tendency to yaw back and forth. A tiny bit of either left or right on the rudder held it better but still not right. Climbed to treetop level and clicked into GPS, bad toilet bowl circling, hmmm...

To cut to the chase here, it appears that all of a sudden there is an RFI problem with the AD6. If I disconnect the Navi from the F/C and fly just with the F/C it doesn't yaw, reconnect and it starts the crazy stuff again. Took the Navi setup out and after a test flight to verify the standard hexa was flying right I swapped its Nav setup with the one from the AD6, no yawing, good GPS hold so its not a problem with the Nav boards on the AD6.

Swapped the spare Nav boards onto the AD6 and did a test flight, slightly better but still doing the yaw and TBE in position hold. I know this set of Nav boards work well, they've been on the MK quad test bed frame and flying with one of the spare Mk flight controllers and I2C converter. So somehow the AD6 has developed an RFI problem where none existed before. The only thing different about the AD6 and the standard Hexa is the I2C isolation board that lives in the stack of the AD directly above the Navi board. I suspect that may be the source of the RFI but to test that theory I'd have to do a fair bit of work removing the servo leads from the BL's and reconnect the PDB I2C connections.

I did have the boards off the stack of the AD6 a while ago and after putting them back there's nothing different now than before but suddenly the RFI is a problem where it wasn't before and that worries me. Next I think I'll try putting a bit more distance between the isolator and Navi but I can't go all that far due to cable limitations as well as still have the dome fit over all of it. Lesson learned, if things are working well, don't take the thing apart for any reason unless absolutely necessary!!!

Ken

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have mounted the I2C isolator board slightly below the PDB, which is mounted higher than normal, with the rest of the FC/NV/GPS stack sitting above and there is still ample space for one more board under the dome with fairly generous stand-offs used. Apparently everything seems to be getting along - so far - touch wood - etc. etc

Apart from the compass calibration and sub-trim session the new AD-8 has had just four flights to determine battery autonomy. 8':53" with a 5000mah and 12':15" with a 6600mah. Then a 1650g dummy weight (6600mah-07':07") and finally with the 5D (6600mah-08':12"). The AD-8 and the MK Octo have both been loaded with FW 086/026. The little Octo is spectacularly stable when left in a PH hover. The AD-8 bobs and strains at the bit until it is weighed down with a camera.

I'll get pics and vid organised sometime.

Crash

Defies Psychics
Ken, I'm sure you twisted the wires. One thing I didn't realize until I saw Holger's EMI video is that some batteries can cause EMI. Also, do a motor test one by one and see how the compass reacts.

recce2

Ken,

I had the same thing happen awhile back with and okto. I thought for sure it was RFI. I did a parameter reset, manually entered the parameters again, did new calibrations and it started flying fine again.

Dennis