Aeronavics / Droidworx Angle play in Skyjib X4 QR arms

iconflyer

Hey Guys,
I just finished reassembling my SJX4 QR with new U7 motors. I notice there is more play now in the rotation of the arms than before(with force I can twist the arms 2-3 degrees). Is this normal? The main holes in the arms seem to be intact so it's not a wear and tear issue, it was probably there before with the older motors but I only noticed it now. How much should the motor mounts and the main arm bolts be tightened?

Regards,
Ihab Ali

kloner

Aerial DP
that won't work having them anything but perfectly straight and tight..... it sounds like it's a)not tight on one end, b) you lost the registration between mount and boom or c) they don't use the registration and need to be tighter......

kloner

Aerial DP
the pins on the motor mounts and the holes in the booms... that is called registration, makes the motor sit straight

iconflyer

oh cool...that's good to know. Yeah, so basically what I was asking if other SJ or SJ QR owners observed similar tolerance levels of the registration. I assume that do have to tighten the inner bolt of the arm to allow for the arms to fold without having to loosen the bolt every time and that the QR clips would take care of the motor which they do but they have to be really tight(almost too tight to close). There is also some play on the motor mount side, like maybe .5-.7 degrees and since this is my first Droidworx/Aeronavics frame I don't know if this is normal or is I have bad motor arms.

kloner

Aerial DP
with that inner bolt tight the arms still pivot fine.... mines a flat 8, but what your asking minus the motor mounts is the same.

the motors have to be really tight, on flat 8 the carbon fibers all bent, makes that vibe iso grommets they have in there come together so the motors tight but not overly tight where your snapping bolts off

kloner

Aerial DP
to make that clearer, the carbon fiber plate on the bottom of the flat 8 mounts is bent from the bolts being tight enough, that angle needs to be .0 on any multi, .5, .7, way too far off and motors will fight motors, it'll fly like crap, do alot of excessive reving to keep a heading and will be incredibly inneficient

iconflyer

So you're basically saying the registration do have some play in them and the only way to get things straight is to tighten...so basically the QR system is not as QR as it seems to be.

henrysj

Yeah I have a few degrees play in mine too - I use a flat steel bar to get it perfectly level with the opposite motor then tighten the crap out of it so it cant move anywhere. Haven't had an issues with them moving once tightened up properly but I am only using U5's

iconflyer

well the angle variances are so little I never actually noticed any bad flight behaviour with the U5 motors before I upgraded. So are you guys realigning the motors everytime you fold and unfold the frame?