Sub 7kg with Movi M5

jes1111

I think some confusion has arisen in this thread because I started out by criticizing the CAA's "batteries are not fuel" ruling but subsequently changed my standpoint. I now believe that it's correct to count batteries within the allowable weight - the problem is to not count liquid fuel.

First, we should all agree that the weight categories must be based on some sort of safety case, i.e. we don't want arbitrary weight divisions. The CAA has demonstrated that, historically, the divisions were indeed based on Operating Mass (therefore including fuel). At some point they changed to defining the weight limits without fuel. Thus an electric craft will be absolutely limited to (for example) 7kg whereas the Operating Mass of a fuel-powered aircraft could be double that weight (or even more) whilst still "complying" with the 7kg limit. That's wrong and needs to be corrected.

Furthermore I'm suggesting that, in correcting this situation, it would more logical and fairer to raise the current 7kg figure to, say, 8kg (as explained in my post above). Thus the "new" regulations might read:
  • Fuel-powered aircraft: 8kg including fuel
  • Electric aircraft: 8kg including batteries