First post AR.Drone 2.0 GPS Edition discontinued

WacoJohn

Awaiting delivery on my first quad. Rough experience ... first I ordered AR.Drone 2.0 GPS Edition .. and it never came .. at the time of the order, said one was in stock ... after about a month, I called and was told they were out of them. Cancelled the order .... ordered again from a different source ... same thing AGAIN, except they phoned me to say the product has been discontinued ... BUT .. if I agreed, they would fill the order with different inventory items which will end up being the same thing (huh?) In other words, substitute with a Parrot AR. Drone 2.0 Elite Edition in one box and the Flight Recorder in another. They would eat the difference in price. I said OK. I got an email the Drone shipped Friday .. no mention of flight recorder. I emailed 'em on that .. no reply yet.

Anyway ... hope to soon have my products and learn from this forum.

Anyone else have similar experience ...
AR.Drone 2.0 GPS Edition discontinued????

FlyGirl

I'm not sure how much you will actually learn on it due to it being controlled by a device other than a traditional Tx/Rx system. I suppose you could grasp the basics of how a quad flies with it... Wish I could be more help... :)

WacoJohn

You are very kind to reply at all. As I have not received the product, don't know how much here applies to it . but there is no doubt I will gain valuable knowledge from here. Already learned a LOT from the LiPo battery sticky. The good news is the shipper emailed me ... BOTH the copter and flight recorder are indeed in the same shipment .which is scheduled to be here Tuesday. Unless owners of this product are not suitable for this forum, .. I am sure I will be back. Perhaps there is a more suitable forum for me that you would know of? I am very new to all this. Thank you for your attention.

FlyGirl

You are very kind to reply at all. As I have not received the product, don't know how much here applies to it . but there is no doubt I will gain valuable knowledge from here. Already learned a LOT from the LiPo battery sticky. The good news is the shipper emailed me ... BOTH the copter and flight recorder are indeed in the same shipment .which is scheduled to be here Tuesday. Unless owners of this product are not suitable for this forum, .. I am sure I will be back. Perhaps there is a more suitable forum for me that you would know of? I am very new to all this. Thank you for your attention.

Oh heck no! Stick around....! We all started somewhere! Mine was a Syma X-1 for $35! It helped me out immensely! Welcome John.... :)

cootertwo

Heck yea, don't go nowhere. The AR drone was my first quad, and what got me hooked. They are really amazing, for what they are. I too bought the GPS thing separate, over $100 from what I remember. I was interested in the way point thing, but it was only for I-phone or I-pad, and they were "SUPPOSED" to come out with a version for android. Never happened. My poor AR drone hasn't been out of it's box in months. Got batteries, props, on and on. I wonder why no one else has copied the IR sensor thing. Pretty neat when you just hit "takeoff" and she jumps into a perfect 3 foot hover. I think some people have converted theirs to use a regular TX and RX, but I think you loose the IR function when you do. Going to go jump on their site right now, and see if there is any updates.

WacoJohn

At the moment, I am a little overwhelmed. Pkg arrived a couple of hours ago. I have managed to safely/properly charge battery .. bound to my Android tablet, and did a couple of 3 meter take offs and landings. I watched the power indicator go down VERY FAST 4-5 minutes) to 30-35% ... and from reading the sticky, I think I was to shut her down and recharge. At least that is what I think it said. Thing is .. this is not a 'smart charger' .... and if it is not actually discharged that much, .. then I think it's bad to recharge too soon.

The other problem is I cold only get it to cliimb, drop, and hover. I have to learn more about the ap. I have a LOT to do ... obtain spare blades, battery(ies), rotor bearings ...a few things I think are very advisable.

There are youtubes on modifying ... using a schmanzy controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Fihld3pq0

installing a wifi extender, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDU9FVMgXUA

Just like everyone, .. need more flight time and more range .... just have to figure the best ways to go.

Thank you all for the friendliness.