What's better then a gopro?

haha49

I want something better then a gopro hero 3 black for filming on my DJI F550. The quality of the video is ok I want something that can take it up a notch with a gimbal I currently use a tarot 2d gimbal with a gopro hero 3 to film and use as the FPV camera. So what can give me a better sharper image which isn't a huge increase in weight as I will need a new gimbal and camera. I also want to be able to see my video through it so I can line the shot up wide angle is ok I want something that doesn't make everything so tiny like the gopro does and I really like sharpness. I see some people are using the sony nex7 which seems like a good option. So anyone out there use another type of camera and like it?

kloner

Aerial DP
the steps are hero black, gh3 or gh4, canon 5d, red epic.....

nex 5r is the big video sony, nex7 is the image one, but they both deserve to skipped past IMO.... the lenses are not sealed so you get alot of dust on the sensor, the glass is sub optimal, i'd skip sony nex anything if i did it over again. It is also the wall that'll make your 550 not so powerful anymore, needs more like an s800.... at that point gh3 still

haha49

the steps are hero black, gh3 or gh4, canon 5d, red epic.....

nex 5r is the big video sony, nex7 is the image one, but they both deserve to skipped past IMO.... the lenses are not sealed so you get alot of dust on the sensor, the glass is sub optimal, i'd skip sony nex anything if i did it over again. It is also the wall that'll make your 550 not so powerful anymore, needs more like an s800.... at that point gh3 still

The red epic is a little out of my price range it's only $50,000....

The canon 5d is a DSLR I got a Nikon D800 but it's to heavy to fly (would kill flight time) I also don't like the idea of flying with a 3,000 lense on top of the camera price.

The other problem is with DSLR many don't auto focus when filming you have to push the button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

You should never use autofocus with AP anyway, or auto anything for that matter. Maybe Auto ISO if your in a challenging high contrast situation.

I think the NEX's are much better than the GoPro and still small enough to fly with a quad, though with a 3-axis gimbal you'd be better off with Hex or Y6.

People have had great success flying the GH3 and it looks like the GH4 is going to be equally as popular. At $1600 it kind of depends on if you can afford to lose that if your motor and ESC has a timing issue...

haha49

You should never use autofocus with AP anyway, or auto anything for that matter. Maybe Auto ISO if your in a challenging high contrast situation.

I think the NEX's are much better than the GoPro and still small enough to fly with a quad, though with a 3-axis gimbal you'd be better off with Hex or Y6.

People have had great success flying the GH3 and it looks like the GH4 is going to be equally as popular. At $1600 it kind of depends on if you can afford to lose that if your motor and ESC has a timing issue...

well you set the camera but once it moves you have to refocus it with the DSLR most of the time it's a button. When trying to capture something moving it can be hard as it can leave the focus point. I'm flying a DJI F550

Big hexa like the tarot 680 is to big for the area

I like 2 axis gimbals just for up and down. I also want something that can do video out so when I fly I can just use it to line the shot up. I fly with 1 person so I use the craft to turn works fine.

At the start you can see about 12 ft of room to fly in. It was very tight with the f550 the Tarot 680 with 12 inch props is to big for that space. I was trimming tree branchs with the F550 since it was so tight. Bigger isn't always better.
http://youtu.be/Gs0pyu7gsb0

Stacky

I want something better then a gopro hero 3 black for filming on my DJI F550. The quality of the video is ok I want something that can take it up a notch with a gimbal I currently use a tarot 2d gimbal with a gopro hero 3 to film and use as the FPV camera. So what can give me a better sharper image which isn't a huge increase in weight as I will need a new gimbal and camera. I also want to be able to see my video through it so I can line the shot up wide angle is ok I want something that doesn't make everything so tiny like the gopro does and I really like sharpness. I see some people are using the sony nex7 which seems like a good option. So anyone out there use another type of camera and like it?

You are using your gopro in wide mode. Switch it to medium or narrow mode and you will get a better perspective. Shot at 1080p and 60fps in protune at medium mode and you will like it a lot more than how you currently shoot in wide mode.
the jump up to a GH3 means you will need a much bigger multi. If you are shooting in the wilderness etc such as Squamish you will then be carrying a bigger multi in to those areas.
BTW do you know Zamon Kingi in Squamish?. He is heavily into rock climbing and white water kayaking.

Av8Chuck

You can set a higher ISO so you can shoot at f./8 or more and focus to infinity. In your case where your close you will have to guesstimate the focal distance, but having a higher f-stop will give you a much greater DOF.

I just shot with a 7D on a large quad at an airport so I could not go above 40' and had to stay within about an 8' box. Admittedly I wasn't constrained by objects close to me but by the end of the day I was more confident and got pretty close to my subject, not so close that if I had a failure it would hit anyone but it certainly would have fallen on the B24 also I didn't have a lot of room for error. Also this quad had a powered tether.

haha49

You are using your gopro in wide mode. Switch it to medium or narrow mode and you will get a better perspective. Shot at 1080p and 60fps in protune at medium mode and you will like it a lot more than how you currently shoot in wide mode.
the jump up to a GH3 means you will need a much bigger multi. If you are shooting in the wilderness etc such as Squamish you will then be carrying a bigger multi in to those areas.
BTW do you know Zamon Kingi in Squamish?. He is heavily into rock climbing and white water kayaking.

I done narrow and medium (that was medium) Protune crashes the camera (well known bug)

Don't know Zamon Kingi might have to track him down :p

kloner

Aerial DP
you don't focus much using normal primes on any dslr,,,, infinite at 2.8 on most glass is gonna be 10 feet and beyond, to compare it go pro is fixed manual focus set to infinite.... you do the same with any camera up to and beyond reds....

we fly gh3 professionaly, now gh4, there money

haha49

you don't focus much using normal primes on any dslr,,,, infinite at 2.8 on most glass is gonna be 10 feet and beyond, to compare it go pro is fixed manual focus set to infinite.... you do the same with any camera up to and beyond reds....

we fly gh3 professionaly, now gh4, there money

Can it record and output at the same time and what gimbal do you use?

kloner

Aerial DP
yep, several different gimbals, hexacrafter, aerial mob,,,alexmos type, all our footage in the last year is gh3 or epic all from the same gimbal,,, skyjib heavy lifter

Stacky

Which camera do you have? I have the gopro 3+ and have never had a camera crash, to be honest its the first I heard of it.

I done narrow and medium (that was medium) Protune crashes the camera (well known bug)

Don't know Zamon Kingi might have to track him down :p

kloner

Aerial DP
when you either get a hold of a counterfeit memory or just a sub par rated one will make it crash when it bottlenecks. there was a firmware update a while back that addressed the recording rates and they were pretty relaxed. on the same memory i run in my heros gh4 can record at 200mbs... think the hero is at 35mbs, cant remember specifics. Hero black is a great camera, just gotta get the right stuff for it and set it up right. Raw pro tune with raw white balance in wide and 2.7k is my favorite, can pull it into premier and crop my shots, use go pro cinestudio to color grade the footage ad up convert.

tombrown1

Check out the just-released Sony RX100 III. It looks pretty amazing for the price. Shoots 50mbps (same as GH3) and has stabilization built in. Also uses a new technology that reads EVERY pixel when it compresses. $800 I think and you don't need to buy a lens. Somewhere between 200 and 300 grams.

haha49

I just sent an email to black magic to see if the 1080p camera can do video out while recording for the size weight and shooting raw I think that might be a better option.

jappie911

About the new rx100 mk3, I am trying to find more info on it, because i'm interested to use on a smaller mk hexa.. I read about 5way stabilisation.. But I can not find more info on that. It is not the same as "the visible moving lens" type as on the Sony camcorders or is it? Because that works great for me.. On a pj980. On a rx100 mk3 it says 5 way also, but will it be same?