Seeking help from Multi-Rotor Experts for (overly?) ambitious project!

Dr Flux

Hi, I’m writing from a small design studio ( www.superflux.in ) based in London. We are currently working on an ambitious project using multi-rotors.
It is a performance event happening in early September at a high profile London museum, where (the plan is) 5+ multi-rotors will fly autonomously in the museum’s courtyard.

While we have experience of working with a wide range of technologies and are already working with some talented designers and technologists, none of us has any real experience of building, configuring and flying multi-rotors. Currently we’re testing with an F450 clone and an OpenPilot Revo board, but we also have a 3DR/PX4 PixHawk board to test.

However we’re running into quite a lot of unexpected problems:

1. Stabilisation problem

Our first multi-rotor with OP Revo hasn’t flown stably yet. It flies, but it’s extremely difficult to control with a transmitter (Turnigy 9XR) or with external software which mimics a transmitter. When it’s in Altitude Hold, it oscillates even though the parameters are quite ‘mild'. It also drifts quite a lot.

As this is our first time building our own multi-rotor, we’ve been doing lots research, reading how to’s, forum posts etc. but our only real reference points for how it should/could be flying are YouTube videos and after weeks trying (and going though countless props and arms) we’re still nowhere near.

It would be amazing if someone would be willing to take a look at where we’re at either via videos / skype or by coming into our studio in Bermondsey, London.
Ideally we’re looking for someone familiar with either PX4/Pixhawk or OpenPilot. And even more ideal if someone with that knowhow would willing to spend send a day or two with us doing a 101, helping us dial things in and pointing out any school boy errors we’re making. Whilst we don’t have a huge budget we would definitely want to compensate you for your time and expertise.

2. Positioning system

The second problem is a little more technical, and maybe outside of what most people in the community are doing, but...

As the performance is set outdoors, we’re thinking the best approach is to build a positioning system based on GPS.
We managed to get a set of Piksi RTK GPS modules ( http://swift-nav.com/piksi.html ), which claims centimetre accuracy. Although this is an application the units were built for, we haven’t managed to get it working with the multi-rotors yet. We think we need someone with a good knowledge of multi-rotor-friendly GPS and a programming skill preferably with multi-rotor systems.

Again, we’re happy to talk about ways in which we can remunerate anyone kind enough to help, for their time and expertise.

Please forgive me for posting this without taking time to properly introduce myself to the forum before asking for help but we’ve just been really busy trying to figure it all out on our own and now time is getting short and we’re realising we’re desperately in need of help so any comments, suggestions, advise would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rotorhawk

Hi Dr Flux unfortunately I can't offer any help I lack all of the essential skills your looking for :) however just thought I'd point out are you aware of civil aviation authority rules I think you may be looking at breaking a few of them ie flying in London, presumably with a crowd close by and more than 1 Multi being controlled by person / system.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Flying in London isn't necessarily a problem per se, but you do need to make sure you're not flying over people's heads and probably cordon off an area to keep people away, so they're not too close and in any danger if a multirotor crashes. You can also write to the CAA to get specific permission for this event, which you may have done already I guess.

Anyway, that aside, it seems you have an expensive GPS module but you're relying on cheap stuff like openpilot and clone 450 frames and turnigy radios. Are you trying to get them to fly in unison like on some of the American university videos? Or is your plan less complex than that?

You can let me know your details and precise setup via my website below if you like and I'll see if I can help. I have had others visit our office/studio before to help get their multirotor flying properly.

hexa

I could stop by and help but I only have experience with Dji and microkopter electronics