Maxamps – what do you think?

jhardway

For me I wanted to start this post to hear what people think of maxamps batteries.

For me it is one of buyer beware and I will explain why. In my case is a fairly straight forward situation, I purchased a maxamps 10,900 (6s)mha last June for my heavy lift Octo. Over the past year the battery has been very well care for, used about 30 times, max 40. I have never discharged the battery 80% of its capacity, and has been in a consistent temperature environment.

Last month when I went to fly my copter and noticed that the battery was starting to show signs of fatigue, I have notice a very little duration change but more importantly the battery is starting puff.
When I contacted the Maxamps customer service by email (clint) explaining my concerns I did not hear back from them. I waited two weeks and sent another mail and the same thing, I did not hear from them. So after another two weeks I call and talked with Evan, this was about three weeks ago. Per our phone call he asked me to take photos of the battery so he could see if it was safe for shipping, not sure 100% why but so be it.

I did that and email it to him that night, again after not hearing from them after about two weeks I resent the email and then got and response. In that response it started going into reasons why my duration may be dropping is because of the age of the battery and to me if that was the only sign of things then I would actually be ok with that.

My problem comes with the battery starting to puff, with very little use on it. In the past I have had all type of batteries some good and some bad but the once that stated puffing in a such a short usage (nanotech’s – AKA’s) I would deem bad and not really good to use with multirotors. I have had other batteries such as thunderpower and gensace that after 100 uses I am not seeing any of this type of behavior and they are working like they did when they were new.

I have two problems with Maxamps is one being the price of the battery, I could by 2 sets of batteries adding up to the same compactly and for the price of one Maxamps. The second is how they market the battery as being the best in the business with a money back guarantee. Now that I have been trying to tell them about my problems the efforts its taking me to get them to look at the battery is becoming very unimpressive, to a point I would tell people this.

Buyer beware and when it comes to batteries out there I would spend money elsewhere. To put it into prospective, when I bought my maxamps 10,900 I also purchased 2 Gensace 5300 mha, that I use in the rotation of a set of three. One of my sets of Gensace has over 100 cycles on it and they are running great with no signs of weakness. The set I purchased at the same time as the Maxamps, with the same amount of time on them are also doing great, MY MAXAMPS ----- PUFFING!!!

There is nothing like consistency and when you pay 2 times the amount for a battery one would hope consistency would not match that of customer service.
As I said in the beginning of this winded post I would like to hear from others out there and hear their results.

Best all Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting read.... as I have been considering buying MaxAmp batteries and/or ThunderPower..... In any case I was wondering what Power Supply and what Battery charger(s) you use with them. Also what did you last get for the internal resistance reading on each cell?

I will be using the iCharger 308Duo shortly as I have concerns about using my current elcheapo 4 port battery charger that does not provide me with internal resistance data etc.
I also use a rugged Dell PowerEdge Server NPS700AB that puts out 50 amps and has APFC to achieve better than 98% pf correction.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
My very first batteries for my Octo were Maxamps. They say they are rated at a genuine 40C or something like that. The problem with that though was that whilst every other manufacturer uses the constant discharge rate for their C ratings (sometimes both eg 25C/50c), Maxamps use the peak for rating their batteries. After about 4 flights on my Maxamps and not getting anything like good performance I got in contact with Maxamps as I had heard that this is how they were rating their batteries. The phone call with them confirmed the case and so I asked what their constant C rating was and was shocked to hear 3-4C !!!!!!! Funnily enough the batteries went straight back to my shop and they were exchanged. So, funnily enough, your batteries are puffing which, given what my experience, is exactly what I would expect from them due to their low constant C rating.

So, stay well clear of anything to do with Maxamps, they are simply not man enough for MRs

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have been using DesirePower and very happy with their performance over a long period of time. They are still performing well and have outlasted the GensAce I bought at the same time. I bought them because I could net get enough GensAce at the time. Very pleased with them

Dave

My preference is the maximum amount of energy to battery weight (energy density) over all other factors including price...... because the MR AUW is what matters most to me.....
Even battery recycle longevity is 2nd to the battery energy density IMHO.
So which are best from that perspective?

Energy density can be perceived two different ways:
1) amps per individual cell weight or
2) amps per individual cell size....

I am more concerned with cell weight.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Interesting question and definitely a solid approach to choosing a battery. However, Lipo chemistry is pretty much....lipo chemistry and I don't think you get much of a noticeable difference in energy density. You do definitely get a difference in quality of electrolyte, cathodes and anodes etc hence why some packs last longer than others. I am by no means a battery chemist so if I am wrong on this I am sure it wont take long for someone to point me in the right direction!

jhardway

that makes sense. it falls into what I feel is happening, It just gets me on how they are marketing it and I bought into it. Now that I am having issues I feel instead of being helpful they not being the most helpful. I am looking forward for the new Gensace Tuttu batteries about to be out, 10,000 - 16000, 22000

Thanks everyone for cherping in I really appreciate the feedback

My very first batteries for my Octo were Maxamps. They say they are rated at a genuine 40C or something like that. The problem with that though was that whilst every other manufacturer uses the constant discharge rate for their C ratings (sometimes both eg 25C/50c), Maxamps use the peak for rating their batteries. After about 4 flights on my Maxamps and not getting anything like good performance I got in contact with Maxamps as I had heard that this is how they were rating their batteries. The phone call with them confirmed the case and so I asked what their constant C rating was and was shocked to hear 3-4C !!!!!!! Funnily enough the batteries went straight back to my shop and they were exchanged. So, funnily enough, your batteries are puffing which, given what my experience, is exactly what I would expect from them due to their low constant C rating.

So, stay well clear of anything to do with Maxamps, they are simply not man enough for MRs

I have read other threads saying the same things about Maxamps claims of C-ratings. They might be the only manufacturer that "guarantees" their High C-rating but they never fail to tell you that it's peak and not constant. Very deceptive practice if you ask me. Once I found that out I no longer considered them for my battery choice.

I have a spread sheet that I made that includes most of the popular battery choices which breaks them down into milliamps vs. battery weight. I just wish I knew how to attach it

Electro 2

Interesting stuff. I have never considered any of these due to the price. With no in-use data, I just assumed they were truly excellent. Maybe not ! And, yes all LiPo chemistry is pretty much the same. It comes down to sorting and QC. Some battery packagers sort the cells and select the top 10% of these for incusion in their packs. The rejects are sold off to other users. In battery manufacturing, it's impossible to totally and precisely control cell consistancy and remain in the hobbyist price range. Aerospace grade cells are heavily QCed and the price shows it, as well. Zippy's are OK, I have several, but I'm having the best luck with China Hobby Line. Fabulous performance and reasonably priced. No puffers, consistant discharge curves, for 200+ flights, so far.