BNUC-s flight test

htotheunit

Hello all,

I am taking my BNUC-s flight test tomorrow, the chopper is working magically including all failsafe features etc but I have a couple of questions for someone who has done this before.

First of all, I'm doing my test at a location that appears to be a model airstrip. Now in terms of keeping the 'public' 30m away during takeoff/landing and 50m during flight is cordoning off the whole field (signs on entrances etc) sufficient or do they wan't to see what you would do if you were in a more congested area? (the kind of place you need to cordon off the landing area, and 50m for the public from the flight itself)

Secondly during the simulated incursion test do I just hover the aircraft in a safe position until the issue has been dealt with or land immediately/fly home and land? I'm just not quite sure which approach to take in these circumstances and I want to do my best so thought i'd ask!

Thank ya'll!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hello all,

I am taking my BNUC-s flight test tomorrow, the chopper is working magically including all failsafe features etc but I have a couple of questions for someone who has done this before.

First of all, I'm doing my test at a location that appears to be a model airstrip. Now in terms of keeping the 'public' 30m away during takeoff/landing and 50m during flight is cordoning off the whole field (signs on entrances etc) sufficient or do they wan't to see what you would do if you were in a more congested area? (the kind of place you need to cordon off the landing area, and 50m for the public from the flight itself)

Is the model club active that day? If not, you're fine. A simple sign on the entrance would do. Your observer will warn people not to approach the area.

Secondly during the simulated incursion test do I just hover the aircraft in a safe position until the issue has been dealt with or land immediately/fly home and land? I'm just not quite sure which approach to take in these circumstances and I want to do my best so thought i'd ask!

That depends what you put in your ops manual. I descend to a safe altitude personally.

Thank ya'll!

Does that help any?

Jetstuff

Jetstuff
It's great that you 'passed'....well done! but WHO are these people that have sprung up offering 'training and exams' at extortionate prices ? and using a model flying field....... have you heard of the BMFA? £32 per year......Inc. insurance....... I wish they could get involved and put a stop to this profiteering.
The BMFA is the National Governing Body for the sport of model flying. Its aims are to promote, protect, organise and encourage model flying within the UK. Typically there are around 780 affiliated clubs and a combined membership of over 36,000 members, all of whom have entered a partnership to ensure that model fliers have a voice and their rights are recognised by the authorities.

The mandate for the BMFA to do this comes from the Royal Aero Club, dating back to 1922, the Civil Aviation Authority and Sport UK.

The BMFA also represents the UK in the international forum through its recognition by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) and its model flying sub committee, Commission Internationale d'Aeromodelisme (CIAM).

Hi Jetstuff,

The BMFA do not want to be involved with the commercial operations, thats why we have paid for Ground School and Flight Tests.
We are not classed as hobbyist we are professional RPAS operators making money from a growing industry and most of us were and still are hobbyist for fun.
I agree to the extortionate prices but if you want to operate for money you have got to do the correct procedures or pay the price when the CAA come after you.

I am a member of the BMFA and will be every year as i like to have fun with other aircrafts not just multirotos.

Hope this helps you understand why we are paying good money over to Resource UAS and Eurousc, Insurance companies and the CAA

Jetstuff

Jetstuff
Hi Jimmy,

yes I know that the BMFA do not want to get involved with commercial operations, but as I said, I wish they could. Model fliers have been taking cameras aloft for many years, before the increasing regulations make a 'fly away' or prang a potential route to prosecution. From what I have seen, you may be in the minority that have taken the time (often years) to learn to fly model aircraft competently, of all types, before getting involved commercially. Others, after a few days 'training' suddenly being able to legally? contravene much of the CAA ANO, after having handed over a large amount of cash to the school and CAA.

Macsgrafs

Been a while since I posted on this forum, been a bit busy with living ;)

Firstly lets look at flying FPV in this country...1man started a group & got it mad legal, with a small fee of £18 I believe, so if h can do it...why can't we?

Secondly, it's all based on CAA orders!!!! So if they want m to follow an order, they are going to be billed. As a MAN & not a Person, no one has higher authority over me than myself, only slaves pay for freedom!

Ross

Hi Jetstuff,

I wish the BMFA were involved to mate it would make a lot safer as the pilots would have more experience on flying instead of just seeing something on youtube and saying I'm going to do that. A lot of camera man / pro photographer think they can do it just like that when we all know its not as easy as that, Ive crashed many time with my heli's, rebuilt them and learnt a lot before moving to multi rotors that cost a boom. But now we have phantom's for good or bad.
I used Phoenix sim first now people just get Phantoms first.
Believe me I didn't want to give Eurousc any money but I had to in the end.

I have bloody paid for 12 month but only get 10 month due to companies taking there time issuing permission, Ive also had a lot of arguments with them. lol (nice find on the video mate) cracked me maybe I should sent it to them lol.

Been a while since I posted on this forum, been a bit busy with living ;)

Firstly lets look at flying FPV in this country...1man started a group & got it mad legal, with a small fee of £18 I believe, so if h can do it...why can't we?

Secondly, it's all based on CAA orders!!!! So if they want m to follow an order, they are going to be billed. As a MAN & not a Person, no one has higher authority over me than myself, only slaves pay for freedom!

Ross

FREEMAN like your style but is it worth the aggro ? I would love someone to challenge them all and win it but its not for me as i don't know enough about it.
I don't like the system but its the way we have been programmed unfortunately.
Do you pay tax ? I bloody hate the tax man.
How much did that blender cost in the end lol

No disrespect to anyone who's done the BNUC-s flight test, but taking a picture of a shed and using fail safe is not a test.

Well done for passing anyway you have done what was asked and now its a waiting game for your permission.

Good luck

Jetstuff

Jetstuff
I've just been reading through the Euro USC candidate guide...and price list! As I build my own quadcopters and use two, with different cameras, it seems as though I would also be expected to pay an additional £1900, as it needs an 'assurance of airworthiness'.....is that for each?!....£700 + £350 + £350 + £175 + £95 + £1900 (1 or two?) + VAT..... £6500....yikes... If you chaps have done all that just to fly a fisheye GoPro.....well I hope you are getting lots of work to help offset the cost.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Wouldn't take long to pay that off really. 6 well paid shoots and you'd break even. Even for a cheap chap it would take maybe 12 shoots. Then there's the rest of your life to make money.

How much does University cost these days?

And you forgot to look at ResourceUAS. £1300 all in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resource UAS all the way.
You forgot the hidden cost of CAA aircraft under 7kg £113 per aircraft and i think its about £230 for 7kg-20kg aircrafts
Around £1000 for insurance
Does it stop not really new kit the next best thing blah blah you get my point.

No fish eye go pro's anymore either I would not have paid that money to work with that rubbish, they work well but fish eye does my bloody head in.

PMaughan

I've just been reading through the Euro USC candidate guide...and price list! As I build my own quadcopters and use two, with different cameras, it seems as though I would also be expected to pay an additional £1900, as it needs an 'assurance of airworthiness'.....is that for each?!....£700 + £350 + £350 + £175 + £95 + £1900 (1 or two?) + VAT..... £6500....yikes... If you chaps have done all that just to fly a fisheye GoPro.....well I hope you are getting lots of work to help offset the cost.

Jetstuff,

The £1900 is only for >20kg aircraft so doesn't apply to most. Still not cheap!

Pete