SERVOSTAB - a servo motor with build-in stabilization

SERVOSTAB

Hello guys!

Let me introduce new project - a servo with build in gyroscope.

This video shows all the main features:

Briefly:
This device looks like regular servo, but has a lot of non-regular features. The main one is build-in gyroscope so this servo can be used for building gimbals with stabilization.
Other features: 360 degree rotation, follow mode, settable rotation limits, advanced external control and more.

SERVOSTAB is made in the format of standard servo motor with size about 4x4x2 cm, which allows the use of existing camera mounts for multi axis stabilization systems and even upgrading already existing systems.

servo.png

Metal gears, partly metal housing (we plan full metal housing in final prototype).

SERVOSTAB has build-in gyroscope which detects any rotation. Gyroscope data are being processed by microcontroller and the motor is driven to compensate external rotation. SERVOSTAB works in two different modes. The first mode is full camera stabilization. The second mode is follow stabilization, when only too fast movements and shaking are stabilized while the camera smoothly follows the movements of the operator.

follow.png

Unlike brushless motor based systems, SERVOSTAB has huge torque and can stabilize heavy cameras and unbalanced systems.

Example of unbalanced system (used for testing):

unbalanced.png

SERVOSTAB does not require anything except external power(up to 8.4 V). However it can be connected to any existing servo controller like RC radio receiver, servo driver, arduino and others. Input signal can be interpreted in several ways selected by user with very flexible configuration, ranging from smooth panning, and ending in a quick and precise positioning.

This project needs you!
Find more technical and project status information on this link:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/servostab/x/6316855

I'll be happy to hear any questions and suggestions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

My thoughts exactly! Why didn't he direct that energy into a discreet brushless drive? :(

And it's not cheap!

Bowley

I was quite taken by the idea for a no fuss, no mess clip on stills gimbal with a 2s lipo fitted. but the price put me off a little. still it would be good to see how it performs (ie video output) compared to regular servos running off a naza for example.

SERVOSTAB

Thank you guys for your answers!

As for the price, it is not yet final and will depend on the success of the campaign and some other factors, but is likely to be in the range of 100 $ - 150 $.

For this price, the consumer will receive a fully metal with powerful servo stabilization.

In any case, thank you for your attention!
You can check for updates in Facebook or twitter:
https://twitter.com/SERVOSTAB
https://www.facebook.com/servostab

makiedog

Servostab,
Let's see some in-camera footage!
Have to say I'm doubtful about servo solutions. My experience is slops and backlashes produced by internal servo gears will never produce stabilization equal to that of brushless direct motors.

Av8Chuck

Price does seam a little steep, especially for a 3-axis setup.

I have a Stella GoPro gimbal that works really well and another Alexmos controlled 2-axis gimbal for the NEX and I have to say that it seems that most of the brushless gimbals for larger than GoPro camera's don't seem to be working well. Most of the good footage I've seen comes from the more expensive, $2500+ gimbals, the less expensive brushless gimbals aren't fairing so well, so there might be an opportunity for someone to gain some marketshare if they can make it easy to use and works well.

I don't really care if its a brushed, brushless, servo or a combination of these as long as I don't have to spend two hours tuning the stupid thing for every hour of flight.