First A$$ View

kloner

Aerial DP
I got back after this hot and heavy, i've recovered from my time off and am in transition to solo again. we did a mach check ride the other day and i passed with flying colors, got back and gave the oral a shot,,,,,, no joy. I know the stuff, but i've never been asked to look somebody in the eye and give a oral exam like this. I'm blankin..... so, flash card time and just gonna memorize what they want to hear..... i knew this would be the struggle and yea, i'm gonna go and struggle no matter how you look at it, but i'll get through it.

The flying part has gotten extremely comftorable,,,, can cruise around no flaps 63 knots and maneuver no problem, full power stalls, no power stalls while turning, whatever, lets stall this POS..... no flap landings are more comftorable to me now than flap landings.... only little thing i'm missing on landing is being absolutley precise, i'm constantly touching down just left of center line and every time i hear this quiet voice from the chief,,,, centerline, centerline, BACK on centerline..... It's weird but his style totaly fits me.... he needs a shock collar on me, would probably work better. I also keep trying to rush communications and either miss something somewhere along the line or just flat out blank..... cherokee, uh............

I'll get there but not without a serious effort..... can't believe i gotta go through all this just to fly a multi rotor.... at 21 hours and 120 landings.

theres one more scheduled flight unless i go past two weeks then need another to stay current, were gonna go fly to the two alternate airports to show me how to get there around a class b international airport and mcas miramar

FlyGirl

I got back after this hot and heavy, i've recovered from my time off and am in transition to solo again. we did a mach check ride the other day and i passed with flying colors, got back and gave the oral a shot,,,,,, no joy. I know the stuff, but i've never been asked to look somebody in the eye and give a oral exam like this. I'm blankin..... so, flash card time and just gonna memorize what they want to hear..... i knew this would be the struggle and yea, i'm gonna go and struggle no matter how you look at it, but i'll get through it.

The flying part has gotten extremely comftorable,,,, can cruise around no flaps 63 knots and maneuver no problem, full power stalls, no power stalls while turning, whatever, lets stall this POS..... no flap landings are more comftorable to me now than flap landings.... only little thing i'm missing on landing is being absolutley precise, i'm constantly touching down just left of center line and every time i hear this quiet voice from the chief,,,, centerline, centerline, BACK on centerline..... It's weird but his style totaly fits me.... he needs a shock collar on me, would probably work better. I also keep trying to rush communications and either miss something somewhere along the line or just flat out blank..... cherokee, uh............

I'll get there but not without a serious effort..... can't believe i gotta go through all this just to fly a multi rotor.... at 21 hours and 120 landings.

theres one more scheduled flight unless i go past two weeks then need another to stay current, were gonna go fly to the two alternate airports to show me how to get there around a class b international airport and mcas miramar

Boy oh boy does a lot of this bring back memories Steve.... I wished they would have slowed their communications down at times. Cripes sometimes I thought they had auctioneers working the tower. Couldn't understand them and had to do "Say again?" often.. LOL!

You're doing all this to fly a multi rotor?

Way to go Steve!

Please look at what you have accomplished and not what remains to be done. It is the old glass half empty or half full theory but it does make a difference at how you live this great experience.

A suggestion for communication with ATC, try to force yourself to be more relax, zen, sort to speak. I had similar difficulties when I learn to fly years ago. Being a french speaking guy from Quebec, the air communications in english was not natural.... It seems I got tense when exposed to this environment and this pressure made everything more difficult. Gee I was so conditioned that the Avgas smell present in any aircraft made me nervous with anticipation, even before the engine started.

A good instructor made me aware of this one day and he said: Rodge, forced yourself to relax, drop the undo pressure upon yourself, even if it doesn't feel natural. If you do this, it will become automatic after a while and this will really help with ATC communications. I did just that and it worked. As the pressure increase in the cockpit, during simulated emergencies and other stressful moments, I concentrate on staying relaxed and Zen and everything worked much better this way. Seems logical but I am sure you know what I mean. Really made a difference for me, give it a try!

I went on to become a professional Canadian Armed Forces search and rescue pilot and I carried this trick with me since then. God knows I had the opportunity to use it in several occasions...

Good going Kloner!

kloner

Aerial DP
good stuff Rodger.... I'm totaly cool and collected at everything in there but them stupid coms.... he chops the throttle i instinctively go for carb heat, fuel pump and mix:rich,,,, before he gets it chopped sometimes... just them dam coms.... I feel like i look at the dash to read off the call number and immediately blank looking back up

Yea Lauren,,,

were one of those 7 and they want us all to have a private and 3rd class medical.... my COA is gonna beet my certificate

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Well, at 21.9 hours now and 86 landings, i'm grounded till i'm ready for this check ride, and pretty sure i'm 90% there now. made flash cards, look at em often and i'm good, but i kept the emergency procedures for last..... and need to get those etched in smooth enough for an oral

My radio coms are slowly getting better. It's starting to make since so that helps...

friday i went for some minimum instrument time and spent .4 under the hood, already had .1. When i took off the blinder we were 1/4 mile from 27L and right on slope. That was weird, spent a lot of time working out the whole coordination and heading bit. needed to trim it but somebody doesn't want me messing with that so i never learned. There sure was a lot of sensations going on there.

So here i sit with a pile of flash cards waiting to see whats next. I go in to ground school tomorrow and see if i'm ready for the other instructor to check me out. Solo is imminent

kloner

Aerial DP
Thanks Jon, on a side note my rigs got registered with the faa.... should have done something custom but didn't think about it till it's all sitting here. can you get changes in numbers or is it just a misserable thing?

N522QZ & N147BW

Quebec Zulu and Bravo Whiskey. haha, they taught me something

hjls3

I think you can change em - not positive but i think you have to choose from a list of available -

Thanks Jon, on a side note my rigs got registered with the faa.... should have done something custom but didn't think about it till it's all sitting here. can you get changes in numbers or is it just a misserable thing?

N522QZ & N147BW

scotth

N522QZ & N147BW

Steve what is the status of the MPAA exemption request? Last I heard the NPRM was in the comment period but nothing since. I see you've registered these.. very cool.

scotth

Sounds good. Can't wait to hear. Just curious, did you have any involvement with your local FSDO on any of this?

kloner

Aerial DP
well, i finished my last planned ground school getting ready for solo, all my quizes are done, t's crossed, dots on the i's.... we have a gig down in Mexico next week so i'm gonna wait till we get back to go for it so will be a couple weeks from now. I feel pretty good at this point, got everything understood, almost everything memorized. When he asks me something i snap the answer right back....

My next post to this should be a picture of nobody next to me in the pattern

kloner

Aerial DP
Uh Oh, better stay out of San Diego the next couple weeks till we see how this works out.....

attachment.php

Ok, I see Steve. Well congrats! I am absolutely sure all will go well for you. Be ready for the ice bucket or some part pf your shirt not returning home with you at the end of the day. Do not forget to try to relax and enjoy a bit!

Rodge