Aeronavics / Droidworx MN4014-11's

iconflyer

Hello,
I'm trying to see if I can get more lift out of my 4014-11s on my skyjib X4. Their low Kv is the issue with the T-Motor 15X5 CF props. Has anyone tried using them with 16 or even 18 inch props?

cbuk

Yes....I run 4014-11's with 16 inch Xoar props on a skyjib X4. I've had probably around 35 hours of flight with this combination with no problems. Motors and ESCs are cool to touch after flight and I get around 9 minutes flight from 2 x 6000 mah (25% remaining) with an AUW of just under 9kg.

iconflyer

Thanks for the reply Pete and cbuk. Seems like you guys are carrying 700g camera payload or less if I'm not mistaken? What throttle ranges are we talking about here for hovering. For a similar setup at around 9.5KG setup it's telling me it will hover at around 60-64% with 16" props.
cbuk, your setup as I see from your signature line is defintely a no go with 15" props correct? on eCalc it's reporting a hover at 77% which is too high, would you agree?

cbuk

Thanks for the reply Pete and cbuk. Seems like you guys are carrying 700g camera payload or less if I'm not mistaken? What throttle ranges are we talking about here for hovering. For a similar setup at around 9.5KG setup it's telling me it will hover at around 60-64% with 16" props.
cbuk, your setup as I see from your signature line is defintely a no go with 15" props correct? on eCalc it's reporting a hover at 77% which is too high, would you agree?

With my AUW of 8800g (i.e. the set-up in my sig) I hover at near enough 50% with the 16 x 6's. If I switch from atti to manual the craft basically doesnt move in the vertical axis. When I did my calculations to spec things out I was working on the assumption that I would be carrying a besteady gimbal and either the GH3 for video or Nikon D800 for stills. My initial upper weigh limit I used for calcualtion was 10kg and if I remember correctly, with my current set up ecalc predicted a hover throttle of about 65%.

I did initially try with 15 inch props and although it flew OK I had little in reserve. Your calculation of 77% sounds about right and I came up with a similar figure if I remember correctly.

Are you using Skyjib retracts? With 16 inch props there is just enough room to raise the retracts without any accidental/catastrophic contact between lower props and retract skids.

To be honest, I was a bit green when I built the skyjib (still am really) and suspect that I picked the wrong motors when going for the MN4014-11. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off going for a 400 kv motor with 15 inch props. But hey, my skyjib flies beautifully as it is and I'm pleased with the overall performance.

iconflyer

Thanks cbuk...yes I will be flying with retracts but not the DW ones...too expensive and heavy in my opinion, so I built pretty good ones from 25mm CF tubes, total weight is 650 grams and if I break them it costs 10usd to change the tubes rather than 250 for a new set of legs....also tubes are much easier to transport than the wider legs. Anyway, I think I did the same mistake with the MNs although with the information you just provided I'm thinking the mistake was with the props I chose...the MNs seem to be very sufficient at 750w.

On a related note(and I posted this on another thread as well), if you need spare MN4014-11s, I have a 5 pairs still in their sealed packs...will let them go for a really good price given that they are completely unused...if interested please PM me.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your experience and happy flying!!