How windy is too windy?

How do you judge when its too windy to fly? Is it just trial and error and experience?

I guess the power of the MR makes a difference, but really just after a rule of thumb.

Its a little blustery here, but im keen to get out and have a fly.

jbrumberg

Balmybaldwin- If you are asking the question, it is probably too windy. Why chance it? It is trial and error. You summed it up pretty well. I have been sailing for +30 years and from experience I know that winds can be very "squirrelly", especially when I read your definition "blustery" when describing the wind. If it is as you described there is a lot of upper air mixing going on. The air is unstable and so will the flying conditions.
Good luck. Better weather is coming. Trust me I have been practicing :02.47-tranquillity:

Its started raining now boo! Will hover about carefull indoors instead to run the batteries down, and wait for tuesday when it next looks ok.

Bloody weather :(

Razzil

I find that early mornings and late evenings are the best time to fly with regards to the wind.

Here in Newfoundland its always windy, and I do my flying early morning or late afternoon. You'll also notice that's when the water is calm on ponds, etc...

Anything more than 30km/hour is when I call it quits, I fly in 20km/hour winds often, but would prefer mornings. The same day it could be 5km/hr.

jbrumberg

I agree with the daily timing. Location matters as well. I live on an exposed, open northern slope so I catch the gradient and thermal winds as they are driven and/or develop by weather systems. It helps to learn some basic meteorology with this hobby. It really helps to become a weather geek. 20km/hr = ~12.5mph seems manageable for experienced flyers. I personally at this point in my learning curve fly at 5km/hr (3 mph) due to my comfort level. That will change. I will fly my "toy grades" in higher wind speeds.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have been trying to get out on the windiest of days to do some speed runs, fastest so far is 72.37mph.

Gotta love the wind, it was probably around 30-40mph that day.

Pete

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Good lord! That's a lot of wind! I don't fly my big rig above 18mph. My little F550 can go to 30mph but it ain't fun, except when you fly downwind which is bloody awesome, then the slow trundle back of course!

SkyFalcon

3 Weeks ago... 55km/h

Attachments

• Bitmap in Facce55.jpg
    Bitmap in Facce55.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 384

I flew my stock 450 in like 25kt winds with higher gusts. It was sketchy but the little bugger put up a good fight. I think wind is something that you'll need to learn to deal with from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk