Basic Setup Instructions for FrSky Taranis, X8R and Naza-M V2

skinnydoc

Aileron Calibration issue in Naza lite Assistent and Taranis

Hi All.. Thanks for this great thread and this video that was linked above for further details.

I'm having a weird issue setting up my TBS Discovery with a Naza lite and the Taranis Plus / D4Rii rx combo.

Its going well with getting the proper channels setup on the Taranis as described in this thread, but then when I go to calibrate, all the channels calibrate fine, except the Aileron channel center point is offset to the right. I can then see this is happening because the travel of that channel (Channel 1) is not full, ie it will roll fully to the right with full right input, but full left roll input on the Taranis only shows up as partial travel on the Naza Assistent software. Thus the center point of that channel is offset to the right.

I would think this offset would be removed by the calibration process, but not so even though I calibrated several times. I tried changing the center point of that channel and the travel adjust, but I couldnt get it to work.

Any tips?

thanks

Ben

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hi All.. Thanks for this great thread and this video that was linked above for further details.

I'm having a weird issue setting up my TBS Discovery with a Naza lite and the Taranis Plus / D4Rii rx combo.

Its going well with getting the proper channels setup on the Taranis as described in this thread, but then when I go to calibrate, all the channels calibrate fine, except the Aileron channel center point is offset to the right. I can then see this is happening because the travel of that channel (Channel 1) is not full, ie it will roll fully to the right with full right input, but full left roll input on the Taranis only shows up as partial travel on the Naza Assistent software. Thus the center point of that channel is offset to the right.

I would think this offset would be removed by the calibration process, but not so even though I calibrated several times. I tried changing the center point of that channel and the travel adjust, but I couldnt get it to work.

Any tips?

thanks

Ben

Hey @skinnydoc; the problem you are reporting was covered in another video by Dennis Baldwin. Go to this link: http://youtu.be/kl5wuMiZ1_w?list=UU_LDtFt-RADAdI8zIW_ecbg

and starting at around minute 3:00 in the video, listen to his description of a similar problem and what he did to fix it. HTH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gringers,

thank you for a great post. I am getting ready to program this same gear. I know you said you could not edit your first post. Would you be willing to take what you wrote and refine it and repost it in this thread? Many of us are in this same boat and don't want to make errors.

werner mier

HI Gringers your post is awesome thanks for that, have a question for the failsafe, when I make all the steps and hit the panic switch, the controller changed in FS mode but the throttle went to 0, but when I shut off the radio the controller also changes the mode to FS and THR 50%, that's what we want, what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks

rabeiro

Great read! Quick question I haven't seemed to figure out yet. Is there a way to assign x1/x2 to a switch (locking in gain settings for different battery weights) and also simultaneously use a dial to fine tune the settings? I looked into global variables, but not clear on its usage in this way. . Thanks so much!

Phenom3030

Gringers, thank you for your time and effort in starting this thread! This thread alone guided me through the process of setting up my X9D+.
There wasn't a better resource out there, thanks again!

Ivo

HI Gringers your post is awesome thanks for that, but I also have a question for the failsafe - the panic switch is working only in Attitude mode. It doesn't wor in GPS and manual mode. What I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

starcad

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm changing out my pixhawk for a NAZA setup and this is really a big help.

kostasbmw

fantastic job Gringers

i ll tell you the new as soon i finish managing cable in my TBS

i did some testing for the wiring and soldering and i had some issues like some people could nt start their motors.

what i did is disconnect everything some servos need to be firmly inserted in position and all ok

i do have a question though

if i set up my nana v2 with the taranis x8r and tx the traditional way if i change to sbus should i go from the beginning???

Last edited by a moderator:

kostasbmw

i finished the failsafe thing and i noticed that when i test failsafe and turn the tx off the throttle goes to 55% but i see in dji asistant the mode to attitude.Then i tried again and i see the failsafe highlighted.Am i doing something wrong or the SE switch was in the wrong position?

valleyofghosts

hi guys I am still having problems lining up the mode switch between ATT MANUAL AND GPS! the rest appears ok! I am using FRSKT TARANIS RC. I have been toggling the weight and offset options and this moves the slider but struggling to get it to highlight GPS ? Am I on the right track? if poss could someone please give me a more detailed way of setting it up in the RC and Assistant

valleyofghosts

hi mate thanks for reply I take it you have to switch the switch between positions to do this ? everytime I set the settings then when i change the switch position it alters the previous one !

kostasbmw

yes you have to set 3 possition in the same chanel so when the switch is towards you manual then middle atti and the other gps and when you set the 3 postions you calibrate each one as i told you and then in the same chanel you make a 4th position, choose another switch(i use the
SE switch for gps.ati.manual) and the SF for failsafe .all those modes i have them in chanel 7.
have a look at the video which i found and used.

Cris

Hi gringers, my name is cris I just purchased a used QAV 540, it did not come with a tx so I also purchased a taranis X9D plus with the X8R rx and am having multiple issues. I downloaded a model online and set it up on my tx and in the naza assistant everything seems to be working but my motors will not arm when I use my tx. Any idea what I screwed up???

avman180

First up thank you so much Gringers and other posters as this thread is exactly what I needed to set up my Tarot 650 with Naza M and Taranis transmitter.

Using both the SBUS method and traditional method of connecting AETR cables from the Naza to the Rx I've managed to get all the controls and Mode/IOC/Failsafe working. However my Tarot has retractable landing gear and the problem I'm having is that if I use the SBUS method of connecting everything up, I don't know how I can then connect my retracts as well as I'm using a FrSky X6r receiver and I'm assuming that all 6 channels are now used up for the controls and Mode/IOC/Gimbal Pitch etc. In this configuration would I need an X8R and would channel 8 be available for extras such as retractable landing gear?

If I connect up the cables in the traditional way i.e.: AETR going to Rx ports 1-4, Gimbal pitch going to 5, IOC on 6, Mode switch on 7 (using an SBUS to PWM decoder from the SBUS port to extend the number of channels on the receiver) and then putting my retractable gear on channel 8, all the controls and functions work, the retracts work but the X1 (Gimbal pitch control) doesn't.

Hope what I've written is understandable. Could anyone shed any light on this?