Jims Droidworx y6 build

Hi all,

Well after a years flying a dji 450 and more recently in tbs I was looking for a fresh challenge.

I have looked into larger frames such as hexs and octo's etc, when the opportunity came to get a ex display Droidworx Y6 I jumped on it I was fortunate enough to get it with 4x 2814/22 axi gold line motors and some spare frame parts.

So I have decided to transplant some components over to the Y6 from my tbsbut I will be adding some new ones as well.

Parts list

Y6 frame v3

4 axi goldline 2814/22 motors ' 2 more to follow'
6 dji 30a escs ' 4 transplanted from the TBS.
Gryphon 1000hx power distribution board
Naza m
Naza gps unit
2x 4s lipos running in parallel
Futaba t8j tx with futaba 8ch rx.

I have built the frame up to familiarise myself with the frame parts and will hopefully will get some pictures up soon.

Cheers Jim

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Good luck Jim..

lest see some pictures, or maybe you could just fly it over the Ribble and I can see it in the flesh!

Dave

Thanks Dave, if I get some of that led lighting you recommend in one of your YouTube vids you'll be able to clearly see it lol, I'll get a couple of pictures up in a bit.

Best regards Jim

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ok here are a couple of pictures of the build, I'm expecting some more parcels tomorrow so I"m looking forward to the next few days building & testing, yet to decide on props though, I'm toying with 13x5 or 13x6 ?

Jim

The rest of the parts arrived today, so just had enough time to fit the saddle pack mounting to the skid assembly, hoping to get the Power distribution board installed over the next couple of days.

Jim

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The Y6 rules! For light camera applications I think its the most enjoyable to fly as a single operator unit. So easy to tell where it's at in the air and you never see props in your pic, good redundancy, good in wind. You only really have 1 downside and thats slightly less flight times but who cares? Looking good.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The Y6 rules! For light camera applications I think its the most enjoyable to fly as a single operator unit. So easy to tell where it's at in the air and you never see props in your pic, good redundancy, good in wind. You only really have 1 downside and thats slightly less flight times but who cares? Looking good.

BH Yuri I thought you packed it all in!

+110 on your observations
Dave

Sorry should have put the link In the post, yeah its well machined not to heavy but feels robust enough when held.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A bit of a update on things. spent a whole day slightly extending the motor leads by a couple of inches to ensure then get to the escs, Just finished another stint of sort ing the power distribution board and esc layout which I"m happy with. I've now mounted the gps unit on a spare boom mount just out of the way of props etc, speaking of which I"ve just had my 6x 11-5 gruapners as well as spacers as the prop bore is 8mm & the engine prop is 6mm.

Parts wise I"m waiting on my final esc & Axi goldline to be delivered tomorrow, Then its a case of soldering the escs's to the board and putting together the wiring to utilize 2x 4s lipos running in parallel.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures to give you a idea of the layout so far of the centre plates.

Jim

Well I managed to get a couple of days work on the Droidworx Y6 frame & I'm pleased with the results, All the electronics bar the fpv equipment is installed I will add navigation leds soon, The hardest part so far has been trying to mount the esc's as descretley as I can whilst keeping a clean look, I didn't want to have them mounted on the boom for that reason so in the end with a little thought & planning I managed to get them more or less tucked out of the way in between the 2 frame plates with enough space for air to circulate around them. I've been very impressed with the build quality of the droidworx kit, its very well thought out and I will definitely get another at some point, The gryphon power dictribution board works great and fits the frame nicely and leaves me just enough space height wise to mount the electronics within the dome.

Anyways here are a couple of pictures to show the progress so far. I"m hoping to have it completely ready for a test hoover tomorrow if its dry, but for now here is a bit of eye candy.

Cheers Jim

Bit of a unplanned update, all good though.

whilst at a local shop I had the opportunity to get a DJi PMU v2 unit for a discounted price that was too good to pass up, so I thought I"d get it and install it once I got the the v2 led as well. So shortly it arrived and plugged it in, hmm no led, a bit of research showed that i need to install a small doide, thanks to a guide online I got my local shop to fit a 330 ohm diode inside on the tabs that would have housed one ' being a early v1 Naza they where not installed.' and hey presto upon connecting the led blinked very brightly into life.

So as I had some of the components of the frame I thought I'd tidy it up a bit, just waiting on my prop adapter bolts to come from AXI goldline & I'll be ready to maiden it.

Until then, heres what the centre plates look like now.

Jim