Futaba Super 8fg Help getting more channels

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've read the manual and spent a fair amount of time on the internet. Still don't understand how to get beyond 8 channels with my Super 8fg and R6208SB.

Looking for advice on the different ways to get another a total of 11 or 12 channels. Pitch, (future yaw), maybe retracts, and camera control.

I'm hooked up via sbus on both my quad w/ Naza M v2 and x8 xAircraft Super X.

Channels 7 & 8 are clear to use. Don't understand how to get another 2-3 channels out of it. Right now I'm using channel 7 on one, and channel 8 on the other to go directly to the Alexmos controller and control my pitch.

Futaba says of the R6208SB
"Using the S.Bus port, it handles up to 18 channels"

The Super 8fg says "

• Expanded with 14 total transmitter channels — 12 proportional and two switched.
  • Included R6208SB receiver's PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) channels support up to 8 standard analog or digital servos — and it handles up to 18 channels when used with an S.Bus system."

I guess I don't really know what that means.

I read to put a 2nd receiver on the MR, but even then, I don't understand how I'd set that up. However, it seems to me I should be able to use what I already have.

If you know how, please spell it out for me, because I just don't seem to get it.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Do you have your radio set to MLT2? Go to MENU - FREQUENCY - FASST and change to mult2.

Frequency is set to multi2.

I'm looking for help on how to connect to Futaba receiver.

On 8fg, channels 9, 10, 11, 12 say aux 1. I know how to set those channels to a switch or knob to it. I just know how to hook into the receiver for channels 9 -12.

On the naza, I have sbus on receiver hooked into x2 and x3 goes to the pmu. On futaba receiver, I use channel 8 going to the tarot gimbal for pitch control. For channel 9, 10, 11, 12, what do I connect to.
Lets say I want to:
Connect yaw or roll to channel 9
connect retracts to a switch on channel 10
Maybe a camera control on light switch on channel 11.

What do I hook those devices to. On another forum, they suggested buying another receiver but didn't say how I'd get to channels 9+ .

I guess I assumed futaba would do something like, use channels 1-8 on sbus, then say on the receiver, the connection for channel 1 would become 9, 2->10, 3-11 etc.

Still lost.

VIQuad

I to would like to know. I have wonder this exact same thing and don't understand how you would hook it up either. I have the same Futaba 8FG radio

Ahh, got it. Simple answer is no, you need another receiver or decoder. Here is a quote from ChrisViper "When you use S-Bus (R6208SB) with WooKong, you only have to connect 1 cable...but you can't connect anything else, since the traditional connectors are just mirror channels of the S-Bus, so if you want to connect other components of your bird, you might need a second receiver. There are various ways to do that."

Have your read this thread? http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?7612-Futaba-T8FG-Super-channels-9-thru-14-versus-NAZA-8-channels

There is also a link to other info there. Just gotta start weeding through the info here http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?9196-What-receiver-do-you-use-with-your-Futuba-T8FG-super&highlight=s-bus+frsky

Yeah, that is why I use 14 channel receivers on the single operator AP rigs I have with FPV and gimbals. I use 11 channels on my basic fpv quad with only tilt control! :highly_amused:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Ahh, got it. Simple answer is no, you need another receiver or decoder. Here is a quote from ChrisViper "When you use S-Bus (R6208SB) with WooKong, you only have to connect 1 cable...but you can't connect anything else, since the traditional connectors are just mirror channels of the S-Bus, so if you want to connect other components of your bird, you might need a second receiver. There are various ways to do that."

Have your read this thread? http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?7612-Futaba-T8FG-Super-channels-9-thru-14-versus-NAZA-8-channels

There is also a link to other info there. Just gotta start weeding through the info here http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-your-Futuba-T8FG-super&highlight=s-bus+frsky

I just found the above before checking back on this thread. Now re-reading it for 2nd time.

Here's what I think will work and a couple questions

1. Purchase the FrSky TFR8s receiver. From their description..... Bind it to my 8fg. Connect CH1 & CH2 of TFR8-S by a jumper, then CH3 will be shifted to CH9, CH4 will be shifted to CH10, and so forth. Looks like this works.

So questions.
1. By jumpering channel 1 and 2, do they mean all 3 pins, or 2 pins, or 1?
2. How do I power the unit? Which channel do I hook power to? Hopefully jumpering just the signal pin on channels 1 and 2 will let me connect power to channel 1 2nd & 3rd pins, but it isn't clear to me.
3. So if #2 works above, then if I want to run a 2 radio setup, am I going to disengage channels 9+ on my 8fg (1st) radio, then have a 2nd radio and rebind the FrsKy TFR8s to that 2nd radio? If so, then am I'm having to remove the jumper on Frsky channel 1 & 2 to rebind every time I switch back and forth between 1 and 2 operators?

Is there a better way for switching back and forth between 2 radios?

Thanks for help and any suggestions.

Vojec

Jfro,
You are on the right path. Just double thing for 2 operator function on receiver and you are ready to go. I made wire extend to easy use jumpers. Yes you must bind, and set the jumper every time on operator switch...

Cameraj

Jfro,
I'm trying to do the same thing, so I can setup retracts on an x8, did you find a way to use the futaba 8fg and get it to work?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Jfro,
I'm trying to do the same thing, so I can setup retracts on an x8, did you find a way to use the futaba 8fg and get it to work?

On a couple units I use FrSky TFR8. I put this on the gimbal and use a few channels there. This way, on the 8 channels with my receiver on the MR, I use channel 7 or 8 for the retracts as I don't need those for yaw or pitch on the gimbal.

This way I don't usually (unless I am using a OSD on the monitor through the video tx) I don't have any cabling running down from the MR to my gimbal. On my gimbal, I have a small 12v lipo which runs the gimbal and goes to the video tx. From there the video tx give 5v power to the radio rx.