Tau Labs TauLabs gets a multiwii style horizon mode

So I implemented something similar to horizon mode on multiwii which smoothly transitions from attitude to rate mode as you put in more stick. The results are pretty fun, and I thought some of the FPV guys here might want to try it for laughs.

OSX version
Windows version

To use it, just set one of your stabilization settings to "Horizon". Here is my blog post on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is great! I've been enjoying SL mixing mode which is very similar on my KK2's for a while. I'm looking forward to being able to use it on on my new Sparky!

It's really great since I fly most of the time in stabilized mode but this kind of mode makes flips much easier and more smooth than switching to acro for me anyway.

Thank you for putting this together!

This is great! I've been enjoying SL mixing mode which is very similar on my KK2's for a while. I'm looking forward to being able to use it on on my new Sparky!

It's really great since I fly most of the time in stabilized mode but this kind of mode makes flips much easier and more smooth than switching to acro for me anyway.

Thank you for putting this together!

Credit goes to the MultiWii guys for the algorithm (or maybe it goes back to KK then from what you said). Either way, I hope you enjoy it!

I think the MultiWii guys get the credit for this one. Its a pretty new addition to the KK2 firmware.

FYI the Mac version crashes on startup for me but the Windows version seems to be working just fine.

Done, I copied the crash report to Word doc and attached a link to it. Hope it helps. In the mean time I'll use the windows version to flash my CC3D board.

Great. Yeah it helped narrow it down a lot.

I received the Sparky this afternoon. WOW is it tiny! My hats off to you in putting it together, I can't wait to get it in the air.

Hehe, glad you like it! I'm really pleased how it came out and the single sided makes it easy to stick to things.

Hehe, glad you like it! I'm really pleased how it came out and the single sided makes it easy to stick to things.
It's deceptively simple in its size and being one sided. You really crammed a lot on there.

I'll give some more feedback once I get it flashed and in the air. Curious to compare it to my cc3d and see if I can perceive the hardware differences in flight.

Ok, I got it loaded onto my CC3D board last night and got a chance to fly it after work today.

Holy crap it works great! In your video you noticed something odd doing pitch rolls. It seems to yaw around 180 degrees once it gets inverted before rolling the rest of the way over. It's almost like doing auto Split-S maneuvers. This is the first time I've flown on Tau Labs firmware. I just copied the same PID's as I was using on the OP firmware and its appears to me to be even more smooth flying on this version. Forgive the yawing back and forth I do occasionally in this video, I kept getting turned around. Not enough visual landmarks under the goggles.

I've flipped over left, right, forward and backwards to check to see if there is any bugs. It seems the same odd rotations occur whether flipping forward or backwards, but not to either side.

Thank you sir, I'm enjoying this quite a bit!

/me crossing posting

Awesome video. Glad you like it! Yeah we did quite a few improvements to the flight code since the fork so I think it flies better now.

Also I think it showed me what is going on - basically when you pitch flip the roll axis is in attitude mode and when you flip upside down it thinks it needs to roll 180 degrees. I can fix this fairly easily and will upload a new version after testing it.

A few tweaks in the code and getting it running on my more aggressive quad. Working pretty well: