GoPro3+ announced

Bowley

Such a shame its not the same dimensions as the 3 so it would fit the gopro brushless gimbals, Would like to see its low light capability, gopro certainly seem to be addressing the major weakness's of the gopro series. I hate to say it but after over 3 yrs blood sweat and tears and I could have just bought a RTF Phantom!!

DennyR

Same here, after seeing the latest stuff I shot with my Phantom I am quite impressed with it. I also have one with my own frame and a 2 axis Tarot that has been converted to 3 axis with a alexmos upgrade to the pan. It is just amazing how easy it is to get really good stuff after a session with protune, you would never imagine it was shot with a GoPro3. You do need the pan axis but only to stabilise over a few degrees.

I shot some night stuff (actually at Dusk) and the blacks etc. look fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
From the B&H blastmail that went out this morning. FWIW, GoPro products purchased via the links on the site generate a small commission for the site. :)

Now redesigned to be smaller, sharper and faster, the GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Camera makes significant improvements over last year's model. Trimming off 20% of its size makes it even lighter than last year's model, and it packs a faster onboard Wi-Fi – along with a new rechargeable lithium battery that has a 25% longer life. The HERO3+ also features a new compact and rugged housing that is waterproof down to a depth of 131' (40m) for underwater recording. To ensure you get the best shots possible, the HERO3+ Black Edition is now equipped with more creative and advanced shooting modes including SuperView Video mode and Auto Low Light mode. The GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition now captures 4Kp video at 15 fps, 2.7Kp at 30 fps, 1440p at 48 fps, Full HD 1080p at 60 fps, 960p at 100 fps and 720p video at 120 fps. The Silver edition now supports Full HD 1080p video at an improved 60 fps, as well as 720p at 120 fps. For still images, the HERO3+ Black Edition supports up to 12MP photos with a burst rate of up to 30 fps, while the HERO3+ Silver supports still capture at 10MP with a burst rate of up to 10 fps.

Black Edition:$399.99| Silver Edition:$299.99

kloner

Aerial DP
being smaller why won't it fit the old g3 gimbals? center it on the tray no? sucks 4k isn't 24p

low light hero3

Bowley

being smaller why won't it fit the old g3 gimbals? center it on the tray no? sucks 4k isn't 24p

low light hero3

the cage type anyway, just one of those things you dont know till you try it and find you cant fit your AV lead fitted or filter etc. I'm sorted with my GP3 and Aeroxcraft BG and I'm staying that way. I'll get a 3+ when I lose or break my 3, so hopefully not for a good while, touch wood.

DennyR

Denny, do you have some samples of the video? Would love to see it.

John

I have started a reel of just Phantom, when I get a few more examples of what it can do I'll post something. Went out again tonight and those lights on the underside are awesome for keeping orientation, looking down on Limassol through the Fatsharks from 1000 feet. Putting it through it's paces alright at 2.7 K.

Waiting for the new 15" Retina Macbookpro laptop to arrive so I can see better what the final quality looks like against some of the raw DSLR's I have.

So if this is the 3+ when do we see the 4?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have started a reel of just Phantom, when I get a few more examples of what it can do I'll post something. Went out again tonight and those lights on the underside are awesome for keeping orientation, looking down on Limassol through the Fatsharks from 1000 feet. Putting it through it's paces alright at 2.7 K.

Waiting for the new 15" Retina Macbookpro laptop to arrive so I can see better what the final quality looks like against some of the raw DSLR's I have.

didn't you say the other day you're using a 4 that was provided by a friend of yours?

deluge2

Still waiting for clear hands-on precise weight reports but 3+ is reported to be 2-3g lighter. If this is true it might affect function of 'sensitive' gimbals like Zen H3-2D. Should be possible to compensate though.

Steve

Only the waterproof case is 20% smaller. The GoPro 3+ is exactly the same size as the 3. Enjoy.

DennyR

Bart
My friend Panicos at Full Moon Studios was talking about a preproduction 4 that he was asked to do some testing on. I never used it on a model. My testing is with a GoPro-3 and the full house PREMIUM Cineform software. In particular it's performance at very low light and it's ability to shoot night aerials with a specific technique.
[video]http://cineform.com/products/gopro-studio-premium[/video]

Practically unlimited spatial resolution.

SamaraMedia

Thanks Denny, looking forward to it! Are you using a gimbal on that Phantom or hard mount? If gimbal, which one?

John

almphoto

I went through and compared spec anywhere I could find them. The cameras have the same weight and dimensions unless the info I found was wrong. All the wight savings and size appears to have come from a different case. Both the 3 and 3+ can be used in each other's cases.

baddox

Oh wow, it looks like you're right that only the case has changed size and weight. They definitely didn't make that very clear, at least to my reading.

DennyR

John
I am using a standard DJI H3-2D Zenmuse gimbal on an upgraded Phantom at the moment but I also have a second one underway that has a set of high performance motors from Kopterworx and a dedicated 2800 Mah battery from Max Amps. This one will have my Tarot 2D gimbal with an additional pan axis added (Alexmos expansion). Quite impressed with the Tarot T-2D. It is nicely made and designed, my first encounter with this company. The most exciting part is that I have a couple of GoPro3+ coming in the next few days so plenty going on. It took hours to get through on the Dutch European web site so I guess they are pretty busy with the rush.

I have found that the stabilised pan axis movement is essential if you want to get really locked-in footage, that said, the small amount of drift you see with the 2 axis gimbals in the windy conditions can easily be fixed in post.