Hi from the UK

Rob_K

Hi guys,

Have been curious about these things for a few years now, but I have finally plucked up the courage to actually go ahead and build something. I have done quite a bit of research, but having only built motorbikes this is quite a challenge I am guessing, and I am fully aware that I am most likely going to get stuck somewhere. But my motivational approach now is to just get parts as and when I find them.

I am planning on writing this up similar to the way I wrote up my dissertation, to keep track of what I am doing, what problems I encounter and what gets done to overcome them, it maybe blog worthy but we will see. So far this ismy approach.

Found motors and speed controllers as a package, so ordered 4 and see what turns up in the post. I can't find a spec on them at the moment but as they are affordable, if I can't get them to fly, then I will build something else from them they won't get wasted. Once I have seen and played with them I can start to calculate size and weight limits.

you can expect a few questions from me on the newbie site as I get going, I hope one day, I will be able to start answering questions for others too.

All the best

Rob

Macsgrafs

Welcome Rob, you will find us a happy bunch full of info. So I take it you're building a quad, what motors+ESC's did you get?

Ross

Freebird

If it's not too presumptuous, from another newbie....welcome Rob! - Unless you've been building your bikes on the kitchen table, this is a lot less arduous, and generally more comfortable.....

Rob_K

If it's not too presumptuous, from another newbie....welcome Rob! - Unless you've been building your bikes on the kitchen table, this is a lot less arduous, and generally more comfortable.....

Yes, well that is why I'm doing all the fabrication myself, it is the electronics and control RC stuff that I am not familiar with.

And no, my bike is a little on the large side, I think it would break the kitchen table even if I managed to drive it up there.

Rob_K

That's brilliant, yes, I hope it will do even half that, you seem to have quite a range there. The plan really is just to get something flying, once I have got to grips with it and got it to fly. To be fair, I don't know how large the motors I am getting will be, I shall keep you all posted. Thanks for the great welcome and feedback, I shall enjoy my time here I think.