Tau Labs Getting Started with Tau Labs

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Ok, flies pretty decent on defaults, however before i get down to tuning business, I seem to be either confused or somethings not right.
When I set my Flight mode switch settings in the GCS to use Stab1, Stab1, Alt Hold the system shows an error conditions for modules. When I click on the red x on the board diagram, it says a bunch of things but the one of note is: Having Altitude Hold selected when the module is not enabled.
If I try to fly it this way, it will not arm. so I am forced to remove alt hold from my config.

1) Does the baro on Quanton support Altitude Hold?
2) How do enable the module?

TIA!
Franco

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
James replied on the Pheonix Forum so I will post his reply here:
<quote>
</quote>
So you need to enable the module that process the alt hold stuff. You can do that in the object browser under settings-modulesettings-<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif;">adminstate-modulesettings-<wbr style="font-family: arial, sans-serif;">adminstate-althold and set that to enabled.
After doing this you should power cycle. It might also be in the modules tab, but I don't remember. Ignore the X when you save. It is a known bug I/should fix.

Stacky

This will be something dumb that i am doing but I cant work it so far. I have flashed the Tau labs coptercontrol firmware from the firmware folder on to my CC3D board successfully.
However I am getting the "system config" graphic with a red x through it. I clicked on the system config icon to get a list of possible problems and noted that it mentioned not choosing manual for multirotors. This was without the board being powered up and the radio on. Even with the radio on the system config icon has an x through it.
When I try and use the setup wizard I can get all the way through and then when I go to set the motor on/off point I cant move the sliders to bring the motors on. All the while in the very bottom right part of the GCS the tx/rx indicator is giving me the red ! mark warning.
Any clues as to what Im doing wrong?
Cheers
Mike

Akoni

Is there a stable windows install package for this GCS or do you just run the .exe? Are their packages that are particular to a target? I have a Quanton board on the way but would like to run TL on a CC3D I just picked up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is there a stable windows install package for this GCS or do you just run the .exe? Are their packages that are particular to a target? I have a Quanton board on the way but would like to run TL on a CC3D I just picked up.

I would recommend running this version https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/releases/tag/master-20130811

@Stacky - sorry I missed this previously. That system configuration error means in the "Input Configuration" page one of the modes has "None" or "Manual" selected so it's preventing you flying with an unsafe configuration. The setup wizard I thought makes sure that isn't the case, so not sure why you are seeing it.

Reddog

I installed the Tau Labs firmware on my CC3D and find it works very well. I use the Master version of GCS and Firmware, I wouldn't recommend Next as its being heavily developed.

I especially like the new AttitudePlus stabilization option, my Quad seems more stable with much less drift.

G

...guest...

I installed the Tau Labs firmware on my CC3D and find it works very well. I use the Master version of GCS and Firmware, I wouldn't recommend Next as its being heavily developed.

I especially like the new AttitudePlus stabilization option, my Quad seems more stable with much less drift.
I have just started to get comfortable with the OP CC3D but have always wondered about Tau Labs. So to be clear, TL software can be loaded onto ANY CC board? I have come across TL boards on eBay. Are there retailers that carry TL boards?

Yup. Tau Labs is by the original OP developers and we have maintained support for CC(3D) and RevoMini. There are also other boards it supports including Quanton from Quantec and Sparky which I make (and is cheaper than a CC3D while capable of most of what revo is ;-)

For a full list of boards you can see here: https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/wiki