Tau Labs Getting Started with Tau Labs

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Hi, I have some CC & CC3Ds and would like to try out the TL Stuff. I have found a helpful post from AlPackin which provided some info and dug up the rest myself:

Essential Info
Tau Labs focuses on writing high quality open source code for autopilots that can easily provide the basis for research projects or further development by anyone and has been under development since 2010. Numerous hardware targets are supported including the FlyingF3, Quanton, Coptercontrol, VRBrain and Sparky.

Code is hosted at https://github.com/TauLabs
How to report bugs https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/wiki/Creating-a-bug-report
Forums: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/phoenixpilot
Downloads: http://jenkins.taulabs.org/artifacts/
Chat: IRC freenode.net #taulabs

I am wondering which GCS, FW I should download to get started (Whats stable etc)
Thanks for any direction
Franco

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i was wondering the same thing! i've got an original CC board (that may be bricked, I'm not sure) but I'd like to give it a try.

Subscribed.
Bart

I recommend starting here: https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/releases/tag/master-20130811

Glad to have new people having fun. Actually you'll find for CC3D it levels better than what you probably experience before (which was pretty good). And it is much more reliable IMO.

@Bartman - I haven't tested a non-3D version of CC in a long time so let me test that first. I don't think we've had anyone using that so maintaining it hasn't been a priority. I'll try and let you know tonight.

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Thanks James,
I have many CC and CC3Ds that just fly on the last FW before I resigned. So I too am interested in your results!
I have a pair of PiPx Modems from just before I left too, wondering if there is some TL magic for those too?
DLing your GCS now :D Excited!
Franco

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'm not completely sure it will still work but i'll give it a try. thanks.

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
So I fired up the GCS James linked above on my Linux Laptop (Lenovo X200), upgraded the firmware to the one with the GCS, erased the board settings, setup X mode, the 4 motors, my radio, and went out and flew around the yard and it was almost rock solid (It was windy and raining a bit). My Quad is non standard too, Very Impressive James! Thanks!

• Frame: Daedalus Kinjal Carbon Fiber Quad
  • Flight Controller: CC3D with TL FW
  • ESC: DYS/Hobbywing 30A ESC (Flashed to SimonK FW)
  • Motors: KA20-22L 924KV Hacker Style Outrunner
  • Props: Gaui 8" Props
  • Lipo: Turnigy Nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45-90C

SamaraMedia

I recently upgraded my CC3D to Italian Stallion before realizing that I shouldn't have and my board has not been the same since. I've erased the board and re-installed version 12 - Mayan Apocalypse (almost appropriate in hind sight) but still have a tough time getting the board to fly properly and I don't feel safe to take it very far if at all. I read on one of your Tau treads that you have a fix and wondered if I should do the same thing the Spydmobile did in a couple of responses earlier.

"Aw, man. You guys should have asked us about that. We could have helped you out with the MPU6000 driver bug. We fixed that back in Feb https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/issues/233 . I would have told you ... but well as the title says developers were banned :(."

Great work Hyper! That was a tough one to track down.

Thanks,

John in CT

I recently upgraded my CC3D to Italian Stallion before realizing that I shouldn't have and my board has not been the same since. I've erased the board and re-installed version 12 - Mayan Apocalypse (almost appropriate in hind sight) but still have a tough time getting the board to fly properly and I don't feel safe to take it very far if at all. I read on one of your Tau treads that you have a fix and wondered if I should do the same thing the Spydmobile did in a couple of responses earlier.

I would. I've been happy with how it's flying and heard good things from others. The fix has been in there for 7 months (never got out to being a user bug) so it should be good.

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Great to hear!

And Bartman - I tested on CC and everything looked kosher.

Nice, I will update my old CCs too :D

James do you any TL magic for the PipX modems?

Also, it was a bit confusing as to which firmware is which (There were many included with the TL GCS) could you prehaps tell which FW files are for what?
Thanks again!
Franco

Stacky

With respect to the auto tuning of the CC3D board using the TauLabs firmware, do I need to do the autotune in both manual and auto level modes or does one work for both?

Nice, I will update my old CCs too :D

James do you any TL magic for the PipX modems?

Also, it was a bit confusing as to which firmware is which (There were many included with the TL GCS) could you prehaps tell which FW files are for what?

Don't use any of the bu_ files unless you have an express reason to do so. For CC use fw_coptercontrol.tlfw and for the PipX you _should_ be able to use fw_pipxtreme.fw. I've been using it on both my PipX and OPLink for a while but haven't retested the most recent versions so please let us know if you run into issues there.

With respect to the auto tuning of the CC3D board using the TauLabs firmware, do I need to do the autotune in both manual and auto level modes or does one work for both?

One tuning session will tune both modes up. I do recommend strongly looking at the values for sanity before flying - especially on micros and tricopters the results sometimes become way too aggressively tuned. I'd say 85% of people are happy with the results or at least find it a good starting point.

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Don't use any of the bu_ files unless you have an express reason to do so. For CC use fw_coptercontrol.tlfw and for the PipX you _should_ be able to use fw_pipxtreme.fw. I've been using it on both my PipX and OPLink for a while but haven't retested the most recent versions so please let us know if you run into issues there.

Thanks James :D

Stacky

One tuning session will tune both modes up. I do recommend strongly looking at the values for sanity before flying - especially on micros and tricopters the results sometimes become way too aggressively tuned. I'd say 85% of people are happy with the results or at least find it a good starting point.

I was very pleased with it when I used it 6 months ago so fingers crossed for this time. Cheers

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
PipX FW Update wotked great from TL GCS!
I Just upgraded my PipX Modems to TL FW. I had to use the rescue system to do it but afterwards, the modem config gadget was available. Now to figure out how to make the Pipx & CC3d work together. :D
Franco

Great, and thanks for the update. Good to know that is still working. Credit goes to Brian for the autoconfiguration / coordinator stuff. That is really slick.

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
My Quantons have arrived :D
Loaded up the GCS and upgraded the firmware to Firmware tag: jenkins-label=gcc-arm-em+ Firmware date: 2013-07-13 10:08
I will now try and set it up to run a Hex for AP/AV and report back. Nice board James & Vincent!
Franco