Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

iconflyer

Having issues with roll axis

Hi,
I've been having some strange jitters on my roll axis of my tarot gimbal. My first flight with the gimbal was super smooth, no jitters what so ever except for a drift on the roll axis...the subsequent flights all suffered from a common symptom: the moment the copter moves the roll axis starts twitching badly. I've tried a whole bunch of things including upgrading the firmware(to v1.3), playing around with the gains and motor power(I've even used the settings posted on this thread), cable management(tied the cables neatly so there is enough slack for motion but so nothing gets snagged). My motors/props are as balanced as they can be(I balanced the motors dynamically and the props dynamically and statically...there are definitely some residual vibrations but nothing major, my Arris CM2000 gimbal works perfectly). Handheld, the gimbal does not show any signs of jitters.

So to summarize, first flight perfect...all other flights suffer from roll only jitters(tilt is super smooth). Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

ohshme

Hi,
I've been having some strange jitters on my roll axis of my tarot gimbal. My first flight with the gimbal was super smooth, no jitters what so ever except for a drift on the roll axis...the subsequent flights all suffered from a common symptom: the moment the copter moves the roll axis starts twitching badly. I've tried a whole bunch of things including upgrading the firmware(to v1.3), playing around with the gains and motor power(I've even used the settings posted on this thread), cable management(tied the cables neatly so there is enough slack for motion but so nothing gets snagged). My motors/props are as balanced as they can be(I balanced the motors dynamically and the props dynamically and statically...there are definitely some residual vibrations but nothing major, my Arris CM2000 gimbal works perfectly). Handheld, the gimbal does not show any signs of jitters.

So to summarize, first flight perfect...all other flights suffer from roll only jitters(tilt is super smooth). Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

ya Im running the tarot and haven't had any issues with the roll until today. As my last 4 flights the roll is drifting and not flying right. :/ ??? dang it, so I will have to do lots of tests to see why. Also Im still trying to update the gimbal to 1.3, I still have no luck getting that to work. Any tips would be great. :) Thanks you guys, you all are awesome.

iconflyer

ya Im running the tarot and haven't had any issues with the roll until today. As my last 4 flights the roll is drifting and not flying right. :/ ??? dang it, so I will have to do lots of tests to see why. Also Im still trying to update the gimbal to 1.3, I still have no luck getting that to work. Any tips would be great. :) Thanks you guys, you all are awesome.
For the update: start the update while the gimbal is not connected to power...press update firmware then connect the power...should work. Also don't forget to upgrade the motor controller firmware as well and follow the same procedure(press update then power up)

iconflyer

ok so it turns out my problem was caused by high frequency vibrations: despite having perfectly balanced props(statically and dynamically balanced that I have jello free video at the brightest light settings and when the gopro is hard mounted to the frame), the little high frequency sound vibrations that make it's way to the gimbal seemed to cause it to go crazy. What I tried today was to change the props to a different size(equally well balanced of course) and all of sudden I'm back in business.

@ohshme perhaps the reason you're all of a sudden experiencing issues is that something went out of balance and is causing some vibrations.

gyroster

Hi Xaircraft America, If i want to used a separate camera operator(separate radio), How do i connect the Tarot to the receiver to achieve the tilt control and stay its angle to a certain degrees? As i observed, It will return to the center when i release the stick when connected to T port?
Here are the gain settings I am currently using. I agree that figuring out gains should be easier and better documented, but this should get it pretty much rock solid:

Roll Setting:
Total Gain: 100
Velocity: 185
Integral: 185
Accelerate: 185

Limit: Max 44 Min -44
Reverse Motor checked
RC sensitivity 50 (this doesnt matter unless you want to control roll from your TX)
Init Roll Angle 0

Tilt Setting
Total Gain: 95
Velocity: 75
Integral: 65
Accelerate: 75

Angle Limit
Max: 90
Min: -134
Motor reverse not checked
Init Tilt angle 0

Mode 1 should be selected under RC monitor and you should run just the single white servo cable (not the black or red power one) from your chosen port on your receiver to the middle "T" in the CTR port on the gimbal controller to allow control of the tilt.

I strongly recommend using a UBEC for power, because it will supply a constant 12V whereas a 3S batt will vary between 14 and 11 depending on your charge. That can sometimes cause jitters. In addition a UBEC is light, costs very little, and doesn't require recharging!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but you use the "T" channel on the gimbal with a single servo wire from it to your receiver's control channel. That would be where the white wire would go into the reciever. You can also map the "C" channel to a switch and it will not return to center when toggled. Hope that helps out!

gyroster

How about using the elevator stick of the radio, can i still used the C channel and make the gimbal stops to a certain angle? Thanks Dude!
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but you use the "T" channel on the gimbal with a single servo wire from it to your receiver's control channel. That would be where the white wire would go into the reciever. You can also map the "C" channel to a switch and it will not return to center when toggled. Hope that helps out!

Maverick

What it will do is stop and stay where it is when the control returns to center and move up or down when the control is moved up or down.

How do I set it up, so that middle position on my slider is middle travel on the tilt...? Everything else is working perfect, but the middle position on the slider acts as a "Stop". I'm looking for the tilting to stop, wherever I stop the slider. At present, it seems to be controlling the speed of the tilt.

UPDATE :

I got it sorted. I upgraded the FW to 1.3, which allows you to change from rate position (mode 1) to stick position (mode 2) through the GUI.

There is also an option of using your NAZA or WK-M FC as a go-between from your radio Rx to the BLG controller, and then use the DJI Assistant "Gimbal" interface. This way you can slow down the reaction speed of the manual tilting, to give a smoother transition.

Just remember to set the DJI Gimbal interface gains to ZERO!!! because you want the BLG controller levelling your gimbal, not DJI.

http://www.riot.ch/tarot-t-2d-gimbal-configuration-for-pitch-controll-on-a-dji-phantom/

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

ANOTHER UPDATE :

Also remember that NAZA's FC and WK-M's FC servo port polarity are opposite.

On the upper face of the WK-M, it is SIGNAL wire, whereas on the top of the NAZA's FC, the top wire is NEGATIVE (-).

Also, the ports are numbered the opposite way too.

On WK-M it starts at the top with M6, and finishes at the bottom with F1, and on the NAZA, it starts at the top with M1, and finishes at the bottom with F2.

Just something to bear in mind, if you're following the riot.ch link.

gyroster

What it will do is stop and stay where it is when the control returns to center and move up or down when the control is moved up or down.
Thanks

Thanks Dude! Are the mode 1/mode 2 section of the program buttons that you can press or are they just text positions? I can't enable it and let the "C" get work.

I'm looking for a little help connecting my rx to the gimbal pitch adjustment. I don't seem to have a cable in the box that fits the rx and the tiny connector on the Tarot board. does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these?

Thanks

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I'm looking for a little help connecting my rx to the gimbal pitch adjustment. I don't seem to have a cable in the box that fits the rx and the tiny connector on the Tarot board. does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these?

Thanks

I made one out of a servo wire, I pilled the pins out of one end and plugged them into 2 different servo ends. View attachment 13972

Attachments

• CAM00603.jpg
    CAM00603.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 457

I made one out of a servo wire, I pilled the pins out of one end and plugged them into 2 different servo ends.

Thanks, why the split? does that mean it can't be driven from one rx channel? what about the end that plugs into the tarot board, sorry I don't even know the name of the connector, where did that come from? appologies if these are really basic questions!

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Thanks, why the split? does that mean it can't be driven from one rx channel? what about the end that plugs into the tarot board, sorry I don't even know the name of the connector, where did that come from? appologies if these are really basic questions!

The instruction I read when I connected the board recommended running a negative to one of the negative pins on the tarot board. With the layout of the pins I couldn't connect the RX to the tilt pin and a negative pin without the split. I think some where back in this thread there were instructions that didn't involve using a negative pin at all.

Just to make sure we are on the right page, you are trying to connect the the collection of 9 pins that come off the board through the small hole in the carbon frame, yes?

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
....yes, it can be driven from one channel on the Rx, you want the signal from your knob to go to the "T" pin on the tarot board. I ran the negative to the negative pin on the next row down. Positive is cut off and sealed in shrink tube.

how long is it SUPPOSED to take to update the firmware (to v1.3bgsf)??

I press update & the promptline at bottom says "Starting firmware upgrade procedure, Please waiting!".......for an HOUR?? (then I abort).

and even when connected/powered up....I show no connection....do I need the receiver on first & connected?

Dumb in KC

Mine does exactly the same, I assumed it was an error until I realised that I already had the latest firmware! It should display which you have & you can check online which the latest version is.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Mine does exactly the same, I assumed it was an error until I realised that I already had the latest firmware! It should display which you have & you can check online which the latest version is.

Can you post a link where I can download the latest firmware? I'll be mounting the gimble on my newest build soon and expect the will be a good time to update.

Thanks!