XAircraft SuperX

Mike SF

Banned
I can echo what Anthony is saying. I have two copters (UAP2 Y6 and quad, both around 4kg) and both have the tendency to tip when applying throttle to slowing during takeoff. So I just apply something like 20-30% throttle in the beginning, which isn't enough to make it tip and then quickly, but still smoothly, advance the throttle to 50-60%. I know with a new setup this is a little nerve wracking, but if you made sure all the motors turns the right direction, have the correct number and props are installed correctly, it will work.

SamaraMedia

Thanks Anthony and Mike. Guess I'm used to that NAZA numbness at take off...onward and upward. Time get ready for work

I just swapped my UP1 hex for the Tarot since Rusty closed up shop. May still make it into a Y6 like you have.

SamaraMedia

Did my maiden yesterday, gusty winds so not the best conditions but your suggestions to just go for it to 50% worked great! I do find it to be pretty unstable, could have been the winds, but I suspect there could be some esc calibration issues or gain tuning for sure. Here is a quick video, forgive the tilted horizon, GoPro on the bill of a baseball cap ;)

Any suggestions on gain tuning are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Did my maiden yesterday, gusty winds so not the best conditions but your suggestions to just go for it to 50% worked great! I do find it to be pretty unstable, could have been the winds, but I suspect there could be some esc calibration issues or gain tuning for sure. Here is a quick video, forgive the tilted horizon, GoPro on the bill of a baseball cap ;)

Any suggestions on gain tuning are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

They all gains at 1 and the height at .9 see how that treats ya. (but also strap some weight to it to simulate cam and gimbal)

SamaraMedia

Thanks SleepyC, I'll try that. Should have thought about adding weight, big foot print with little weight, especially in the wind.

Racerx1962

I have the same gains as Sleepy... Another trick you might employ is to use Zeal tape on the FC. It works wonders with the SX in windy conditions. I was amazed at how much more stable the copter flew in the wind w/ the Zeal tape installed.

Racerx1962

Zeal tape is a thick sticky gel... The best way to install is to cut 4 small pieces and stick them under the 4 corners of the SX FC.

Michael64

If you ahve trouble finding that Align has what they call PU Gel, thats what I use and works great. Just another way to go if you cannot find the Zeal tape.

SamaraMedia

Thanks guys I'll look it up. So I'm getting ready to go give a second maiden, added weight to simulate gimbal and camera. Reading the manual on compass calibration and found something I didn't see before:
Compass Calibration1. Fast altering Flight Mode switch between modes. When LED flashing red and green, the controller enters Calibration Mode.2. Throttle down to lowest, the LED shows single green flashing.3. Fast altering Flight Mode switch again. When green lamp is solid on, start the compasscalibration.
#2 says to throttle to lowest point? Where should my throttle be when I start the calibration? All the way up? Mid stick? Or at lowest point to begin with? Some gusty winds again today so not sure how stable she'll be.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You should be able to have it down when you do the fast toggle - it should kick into calibration mode. Then follow the directions.

I think they only mention it because you may have ended the controller calibration with the throttle somewhere other than down (safe).

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
You are talking about 3 separate calibrations.

1) Flick the switch and get it RED/Green flashing.
Put the throttle to the bottom and flick the switch one more time that enters Compass calibration. Do the spinny dance.
(reboot to save)

2) Flick the switch and get it RED/Green flashing.
Put throttle mid stick and flick mode switch , this is neutral calibration.
(reboot to save)

3) Flick the switch and get it RED/Green flashing.
Put both sticks in upper right corner and flick mode switch, this is stick range of motion calibration
(reboot to save)

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sleepy, it just needs to be at the bottom for compass cal, correct?

YEP..

1) Flick the switch and get it RED/Green flashing.
Put the throttle to the bottom and flick the switch one more time that enters Compass calibration. Do the spinny dance.
(reboot to save)

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I hate the spinny dance :). Makes me very dizzy....

Man ain't that the truth.. I had a crabby WKM this past weekend, and I swear I had to spin 100 times... when I finally got the darn thing calibrated I almost fell over.

If I host a multi rotor meet-up, that should be an event. Calibrate your compass and then walk 50 feet toe to toe on a painted line. :D