XAircraft SuperX

noid1037

ZTW Spider OPTO 30A....I wasn't paying attention to the trims.... Should they all be zero or not negative or positive?

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
ZTW Spider OPTO 30A....I wasn't paying attention to the trims.... Should they all be zero or not negative or positive?

I had some serious issues with OPTO and the superx. It has never been officially addressed or resolved. The OPTO ESCs seem to cause real issues for some, and not for others.

The tx trims should all be at zero before you did any calibrating. If they weren't - you need to redo the calibrations.

You might try moving the end points around to various spots to see if they will arm (same as Kloner's suggestion, but try various values higher and lower than 100). Some people cured the problem on taranis with -89. Just weird, random numbers might hit the sweets spot. Try -120' -115, -105, +95, +90 etc.

noid1037

Let me ask you a personal preference.... If you needed a 30a esc what would be a good better best..... I will look at the setup band might look to replace the ESC.... Thanks.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Let me ask you a personal preference.... If you needed a 30a esc what would be a good better best..... I will look at the setup band might look to replace the ESC.... Thanks.

I have used ZTW, HobbyWing platinum pro and now KDE with the superx and various motors. The HW definitely gave me issues that couldn't be solved, and the ZTW armed (but always worried about the SimonK sync issue) - and even now I sometimes get a slight glitch on one of the KDE. Recycling power fixes it. No problems with the Naza on identical rigs as a test. So it's really more of superx with OPTO issue, in my experience. I would maybe find an ESC that is non-OPTO and do some research to see of others have been successful with your exact rig.

kloner

Aerial DP
2 of my SuperX have the regular tiger 80 amp esc's with the red wire pulled..... black wrap not pro, not opto, not simonK

fltundra

I have used ZTW, HobbyWing platinum pro and now KDE with the superx and various motors. The HW definitely gave me issues that couldn't be solved, and the ZTW armed (but always worried about the SimonK sync issue) - and even now I sometimes get a slight glitch on one of the KDE. Recycling power fixes it. No problems with the Naza on identical rigs as a test. So it's really more of superx with OPTO issue, in my experience. I would maybe find an ESC that is non-OPTO and do some research to see of others have been successful with your exact rig.
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I've had no issues with the Castle 25's and the KDE 515's and I did'nt have to change any endpoints (-100 to +100) to calibrate with the Taranis or the SuperX. Done extensive testing with IR thermo , and they never run more then 10 degrees f more then ambient temp. Just shy of 50 hrs. actual flight time with the SuperX.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I've had no issues with the Castle 25's and the KDE 515's and I did'nt have to change any endpoints (-100 to +100) to calibrate with the Taranis or the SuperX. Done extensive testing with IR thermo , and they never run more then 10 degrees f more then ambient temp. Just shy of 50 hrs. actual flight time with the SuperX.

but it you did have to do something, or the ESC came with so etching to put it in a different light than a typical OPTO setup, correct?

fltundra

but it you did have to do something, or the ESC came with so etching to put it in a different light than a typical OPTO setup, correct?
Are you referring to the connections to the SuperX? If so, only had to remove + FC connections and tie them together, because when I purchased them the quad pack came with 3 with no bec's and one with. Castle since changed where can purchase singles with or without bec's. The way they do it, they isolate the logic circuit from the main esc motor power which requires that you have to supply 5 volts to the receiver leads either from the FC, or if not then you have to get them all with bec's or tie all the positive receiver leads together from the single one included in the quad pack. Negative and signal wires are all i have connected to the SuperX.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep, I remember now. That makes it a slightly different setup than getting typical OPTO setup. I remember you helping me to try getting power from an external BEC to test (sadly that didn't work either).

At this point, with the superx ESC issue, I'm in favor of only going with setups that are identical to proven, working rigs. Tx, FC, ESC and motor.

I just thought I would share my customer service experience with Xaircraft. Back in January, I lost the ability to connect to a computer on my SuperX. I emailed superX in China and they gave me a canned response. Like mosts companies they had me try various tests, even though my initial email listed all of the tests and various configurations I had tried. I humored them with a few videos showing the issue.

Forward a few months after getting sick of the canned responses and I decided to contact both Xaircraft America and BuddyRC, which is where I purchased it. BuddyRC had me send them the unit to try to figure I out. They then sent it to Xaircraft in china for repair. It has now been a few months. I send emails to check in and get these back.

"We have just been back from holiday.
Your superX is under repair. Due to many returns,it will be a little slow in process.Please do understand"

"Repairing is under arrangement. Please be aware it will take a little long time due to massive returns."

Uhh... They claim they have customer service, but I have not experienced it yet. It'll probably be an entire year since I first contacted them to get the repair back.

Nothing productive, but thought I would share.

mediaguru

That sucks. I've had great support and timely responses from China and from Drew here in the USA.

For those who use these craft for a business, I could see the necessity of having a backup craft or a backukp of all parts.

I just thought I would share my customer service experience with Xaircraft. Back in January, I lost the ability to connect to a computer on my SuperX. I emailed superX in China and they gave me a canned response. Like mists companies they had me try various tests, even though my initial email listed all of the tests and various configurations I had tried. I humored them with a few videos showing the issue.

Forward a few months after getting sick of the canned responses and I decided to contact both Xaircraft america and RCbuddy where I got it. BuddyRC had me send them the unit to try to figure I out. They then sent it to Xaircraft in china for repair. It has now been a few months. I send emails to check in and get these back.

"We have just been back from holiday.
Your superX is under repair. Due to many returns,it will be a little slow in process.Please do understand"

"Repairing is under arrangement. Please be aware it will take a little long time due to massive returns."

Uhh... They claim they have customer service, but I have not experienced it yet. I'll probably be an entire year since I first contacted them to get the repair done.

Nothing productive, but thought I would share.

kloner

Aerial DP
That's not good. I had a similar experience with xusa, i had misinterpreted there directions and hooked up a yellow osd wire to my signal from an fpv camera and it never was the same. sent it in and never heard a thing back, was ignored on email, etc. Same thing i saw from dji back when..... Chineese companies certainly have a different perspective about what they give away.... all the reason to sort out who you buy stuff from, there level of commitment to if for nothing else talk to ya.

they just released v.2, wonder if the problems are there and what they are. anybody seen any threads about it elsewhere?

I thought V2 has been out for a while. Or was it just the IO V2?
Yes I have plenty of backups, but there has a been times when I could really use that broken one. I'm still flying Hoverfly for my main Octo rig with unrelenting reliability and predictability. DJI for smaller rigs. I liked the SuperX for ease and it seemed smooth, but only got a few months out of it before it stopped connecting (unit acts like it is connected, but computers wouldn't see the drive.)

Hey Kloner,

Not trying to change the subject but I would like your opinion on my setup. Im running a 900mm vulcan X8 with 400kv motors, 15x5.5 props, and the SuperX. This is my GH4/5D lifter and I think I'm going crazy trying to get this tuned. It flys ok but seems to kind of sway which is causing my gimbal to not be as steady as i like. The X8 just doesn't give me the piece of mind that my smaller hex did with the superx. Do you think that I should convert it to a hex? I just don't seem to trust the SuperX in the wind with the X8.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thank You!

Michael64

Not trying to butt in but Iam running a 1100mm Vulcan Black Widow X8 with KDE motors and ESC's . My all up weight about 24 lbs. and flies real solid in and out of wind, with wind speeds 20mph and below. What gains are you running on your machine.

Michael64

Hey Kloner,

Not trying to change the subject but I would like your opinion on my setup. Im running a 900mm vulcan X8 with 400kv motors, 15x5.5 props, and the SuperX. This is my GH4/5D lifter and I think I'm going crazy trying to get this tuned. It flys ok but seems to kind of sway which is causing my gimbal to not be as steady as i like. The X8 just doesn't give me the piece of mind that my smaller hex did with the superx. Do you think that I should convert it to a hex? I just don't seem to trust the SuperX in the wind with the X8.

Look forward to hearing back.

Thank You!

kloner

Aerial DP
it is pretty important to get the g knob set to around 20% and increase the rest of the gains to smooth it out.

Is there a chance there is a winding getting shorted or a prop not nice and balanced? vibration levels under .5?

Thanks Michael and Kloner for chiming in! I had the gains at the same gains I used for my Hex. P 1.2, R 1.2, Y 1 and height at .9 My gain knob is set at 20%. Iv tried lowering the gains to .8 and the rig just was a little more loose in the air, but didn't change much in stability. My vibrations on the blackbox are a bit higher than the hex running around .5. I run the FC on a clean plate with silicone dampeners, might need to change to a softer silicone to get them down a bit. My footage is completely vibration free when hovering but once I start flying forward I'm getting a small jolt every few seconds.

One thing that I noticed right away is when in attitude is at center stick it should hold while flying forward, but my rig seems to start loosing altitude? I will post the black box reading tonight and maybe we can get this bad boy running likes she suppose too. Today I had a shoot for a show and it was gusting around 15-20mph and she held good but I didn't have the peace of mind I did when running the smaller hex. Worst comes to worst I will convert over to a big hex like Kloner.

Ill recheck props etc. Thanks Kloner & Michael.

Hey Michael,

Do you mind sharing what gains your running? My X8 is around 17lbs fully loaded with GH4, so trying your gains might make the difference.

Thanks In Advance!

Michael64

Iam running my gains at 1.6 on roll and pitch with yaw at .8 and .9 on height because like you at the lower settings it did not feel right like you said and when I upped the gains everything got so MUCH better now it is solid in the air. I think the lower gains or good for smaller machines but not big and heavy machines. Thats just my take.

Michael64

Thanks Michael and Kloner for chiming in! I had the gains at the same gains I used for my Hex. P 1.2, R 1.2, Y 1 and height at .9 My gain knob is set at 20%. Iv tried lowering the gains to .8 and the rig just was a little more loose in the air, but didn't change much in stability. My vibrations on the blackbox are a bit higher than the hex running around .5. I run the FC on a clean plate with silicone dampeners, might need to change to a softer silicone to get them down a bit. My footage is completely vibration free when hovering but once I start flying forward I'm getting a small jolt every few seconds.

One thing that I noticed right away is when in attitude is at center stick it should hold while flying forward, but my rig seems to start loosing altitude? I will post the black box reading tonight and maybe we can get this bad boy running likes she suppose too. Today I had a shoot for a show and it was gusting around 15-20mph and she held good but I didn't have the peace of mind I did when running the smaller hex. Worst comes to worst I will convert over to a big hex like Kloner.

Ill recheck props etc. Thanks Kloner & Michael.

Michael64

No problem I dont hide what Iam doing and not say what my gains are alot of people do but I like to help people out. Try them and see what you think it may or may not be to your liken but works great on my machine and others as well.

Michael64