WARNING - Firmware 5.24

sochin33

I am not a professional, but just a hobbiest with too much money and time that wishes to someday fly a camera larger than a gopro. I will soon be receiving a Carbon Core X8 with WKM and V2 IMU and HD3-2D (gopro for now). I debated between the WKM and A2, but ended up going with WKM, because I didn't want to hassle with A2 issues.

After going through this thread I'm really nervous.

Which firmware version should I be running ? Is 5.16 better ? Or is there no right answer ? Its really hard to believe that two firmware versions (5.2 and 5.26) could be faulty.
I have been flying a FW550 and 450 with NAZA M V2 for a while and haven't had any issues in over 50 flights.
Anyways, thanks if you can make me feel better ! If you can't, then thanks for telling the truth.

I have been flying for almost 8 months and over 100 flights using FW version 5.20 with perfect results on every flight..... and on a DIY custom 800mm Hex. Like you I am hesitant on moving up to newer firmware though. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't use the built-in gimbal control system. For one thing my BGC has it's own IMU such that the DJI internal gimbal control is not necessary. And getting RC remote camera pitch control is simply a matter of bypassing the FC and wiring the BGC directly to the RC receiver.

There were some issues previously with WKM when switching back and forth between DJI gimbal control and RC remote gains control. IMHO - DJI did not complete QC so as to prevent some pilots from confusing their FC..... signed and unsigned data registers cannot be shared between gimbal control and gains control etc.

As far as the DJI A2 is concerned, I bought one and hope to use it soon..... as I have faith that it will work just fine for me.

IMHO - you are letting yourself get scared off by other's postings. Keep in mind that DJI has ovrer 30,000 postings while the competing products including MK have only a fraction. This suggests that DJI currently has the lion's share of the market which also means there will be a proportion of posters who will be reporting problems..... many of which are inappropriately blamed on DJI. There seems to be more novices buying DJI products than is the case for MK products and hence less understanding of the fundamental laws of physics etc.

I am not a professional, but just a hobbiest with too much money and time that wishes to someday fly a camera larger than a gopro. I will soon be receiving a Carbon Core X8 with WKM and V2 IMU and HD3-2D (gopro for now). I debated between the WKM and A2, but ended up going with WKM, because I didn't want to hassle with A2 issues.

Which firmware version should I be running ? Is 5.16 better ? Or is there no right answer ? Its really hard to believe that two firmware versions (5.2 and 5.26) could be faulty.
I have been flying a FW550 and 450 with NAZA M V2 for a while and haven't had any issues in over 50 flights.
Anyways, thanks if you can make me feel better ! If you can't, then thanks for telling the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

sochin33

I have been flying for almost 8 months and over 100 flights using FW version 5.20 with perfect results on every flight..... and on a DIY custom 800mm Hex. Like you I am hesitant on moving up to newer firmware though. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't use the built-in gimbal control system. For one thing my BGC has it's own IMU such that the DJI internal gimbal control is not necessary. And getting RC remote camera pitch control is simply a matter of bypassing the FC and wiring the BGC directly to the RC receiver.

There were some issues previously with WKM when switching back and forth between DJI gimbal control and RC remote gains control. IMHO - DJI did not complete QC so as to prevent some pilots from confusing their FC..... signed and unsigned data registers cannot be shared between gimbal control and gains control etc.

As far as the DJI A2 is concerned, I bought one and hope to use it soon..... as I have faith that it will work just fine for me.

IMHO - you are letting yourself get scared off by other's postings. Keep in mind that DJI has ovrer 30,000 postings while the competing products including MK have only a fraction. This suggests that DJI currently has the lion's share of the market which also means there will be a proportion of posters who will be reporting problems..... many of which are inappropriately blamed on DJI. There seems to be more novices buying DJI products than is the case for MK products and hence less understanding of the fundamental laws of physics etc.

Thanks Peter
i'm not scared off, just scared :) I'm already committed ! I get what you are saying though, there have to be a LOT of units out there that are functioning well. If it really is a gimbal issue confusing the FC, since I get a free Naza M with the H3-2D, I think I could use that to control the gimbal independent of the WKM.

Thanks Peter
i'm not scared off, just scared :) I'm already committed ! I get what you are saying though, there have to be a LOT of units out there that are functioning well. If it really is a gimbal issue confusing the FC, since I get a free Naza M with the H3-2D, I think I could use that to control the gimbal independent of the WKM.
Sochin33, I wouldn't even be scared. I have been using 5.24 and 5.26 in the U.S. with absolutely no problem. The issue that started this thread is the one about GPS mode dropping out and reverting to Attitude mode. When I took my S800+WKM down to Central America a few months ago I did observe this anomoly, but it wasn't anything be alarmed about. It was noticeable to me within the first couple of minute of flying, and I simply finished off my flight in Attitude mode, then landed, and installed 5.20 for the rest of the trip. So position obviously has something to do with this anomoly, but again, nothing to even be scared of, but simply to be aware of and adjust accordingly.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
..... as I have faith that it will work just fine for me....

I don't trust the DJI FC one tiny bit. It has been working fine with 5.22 right up until it went totally ape-sh1t - for no good reason. So the hunt was on. Altitude? Dust? ESC? Nope. Turned out to be corrupted firmware. Retracing to 5.16 it was back to normal, upgrading back to where it started at 5.22 it is okay. Huh?

So, the solution has been somewhat akin to a computer OS reinstall.

Why did it suddenly go bad? Who knows? I just don't trust the DJI crap.

On the other hand the much maligned, .03% of the market, MK controlled AD-8 continues fly reliably and without issue, just the way it has always done.

I have WKM for one reason only. I have to in order for the Zenmuse to work. Otherwise I detest it. Good luck trusting the A2 to not smash your airframe, gimbal and camera.

Which firmware?

Just putting in my 2 cents worth (as a UK-based commercial operator). Aerial operators are placed in an appalling situation regarding flight control firmware. We are regularly operating alongside professional traditional camera crews, and we are expected to provide the same level of reliability and deliverability (to invent a word). One does not hear a professional camera man saying "sorry, couldn't get the shot, this Sony firmware is a bit dodgy". With all the other risks and variables we face, the last thing I need is unreliable firmware. My company is sticking with 5.16 (which someone else referred to as 'gold'). I wish it was better, but at least it's predictable. Stuff the waypoints and other goodies; I'm not risking an upgrade.

Paul www.redcopters.co.uk

Giovanni59

I see it has been a months since anyone replied to this thread as well as the other one addressing this issue. I

I have been having problems with my wkm IMU V1, GPS V2 on and off for months now. Sometimes I would start up, take off and she would be in attitude, then gps would kick in after a minute or two and everything would be fine for the rest of the flight. Occasionally I would lose it while flying but then it would recover. This would happen about 20% of the time.

This kept happening more and more[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] and n[/FONT]ow I hardly ever get gps, maybe for a few seconds.

I then added DJI mini iosd and it says o satellites, and indicates Attitude when switched to G mode. I switch to attitude, same thing, switch to M and manual indication shows on the screen. I had been suspecting the GPS compass failing so I purchased a new one but I get the same results. Still thinking that it must be something mechanical I ordered a new PMU since this is where the compass gets plugged into. It was after I ordered the PMU which will arrive today that I cam across this thread and now everything makes sense. I am running the latest firmware now, 5.26 but upgraded to that about a month ago and before that I must have had the previous version that has the same GPS issue.

The new PMU arrives today and I will see if that does the trick first but I suspect it must be the firmware. I was thinking of replacing the whole WKM with either a the V2 IMU or I might check out Super X.

I am curious why this thread has been silent.
John

John, do let us know how you get on. Agree with Tomstoy2, DJI have lost interest in WKM. A2 looks all round better, in terms of features, but the story of WKM upgrades does not inspire confidence in their ability to create quality software. And they should not be proud of the fact that the final software release (5.26) for wkm is not fit for purpose.

Giovanni59

I was advised by Kloner whom I respect a lot not to downgrade to older firmware because many needed features will not work, isod, waypoints, etc.
If the new PMU does not do the trick I am moving on to another FC, perhaps A2 but then who is to say there won't be problems with it? Super X is looking better and better.

I was advised by Kloner whom I respect a lot not to downgrade to older firmware because many needed features will not work, isod, waypoints, etc.
If the new PMU does not do the trick I am moving on to another FC, perhaps A2 but then who is to say there won't be problems with it? Super X is looking better and better.
I agree with Kloner. 5.24 is better. Once I downgraded the GPS issue went away.

Giovanni59

Kloner recommends the latest version, 5.26, so you do not agree. From what I read 5.24 has the same issues, many are reverting back to older versions than 5.24

Upgrade firmware?

Definite trade-off between new features, and reliability. We got real excited when we learned about 5.24/5.26, and free waypoints etc. But when the problems started to emerge, we made the decision that we would live without waypoints (well, we got the ONE waypoint that comes with 5.16), and stick with tried and tested software. If you're operating commercially, it's not only the risk of damage to $10k of aircraft and camera, but also, the risk that it will fail on assignment, leaving you looking very stupid in front of a customer. DJI have totally failed to convince me that they've really tested the new releases.

kloner

Aerial DP
we run the latest version, think the software is 2.0,,,,, purple icon

i think he damaged the unit in a crash at one time or another,,,,, gave the advice to upgrade to the latest firmware to see if the unit is talking to each piece in the upgrade window. it's been my experience that the piece not talking is the piece that aint working

Kloner recommends the latest version, 5.26, so you do not agree. From what I read 5.24 has the same issues, many are reverting back to older versions than 5.24
Sorry, my response was rushed and I totally misread what you said, and I got my own version numbers wrong.
I flew 5.24 for the longest time with no problem, as you can see back in this thread. So while lots of people were having GPS drop out on them while flying 5.24, I never saw it. Until I took my S800+WKM overseas to Costa Rica. Within seconds of my first flight there it was obvious I was having the same problem many had reported with 5.24 (i.e. GPS mode dropping out making flying difficult unless I just stuck with ATT). So I downgraded to 5.22 and never had that problem the rest of my trip. This was way back in August/September, so I can't even remember if I flew 5.26. So if 5.26 is giving you the GPS dropout, you might want to at least try 5.22 to see if that helps. I, too, respect Kloners views very much so. However, as for iOSD, mine has worked fine with all versions of WKM. As for waypoints, it's not going to work anyways if you can't solve your GPS problem.

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
In this case it sounds like the switch isn't calibrated properly. And personally I haven't ventured past 5.20, it's working so I'm not fixing it...

Giovanni59

I don't care about waypoints, just iosd, so 5.22 should be good for me. I will downgrade to that version and see what happens. I am not at my copter right now but I will check the assistant if those component's firmware are current. I don't remember seeing them listed the last time I had assistant open, just the FC firmware. For fpv I'm using a 700 TVL SONY CCD EFFIO-P FPV Ultra Low Illumination Mini Camera CCTV WDR and a DJI 5.8 video tx, both being powered by on board lipos with voltage being stepped down by a DPC AV adjustable voltage regulator. This fpv set up was added only a few days ago, GPS drop out has been going on for months, even before the crash. On the gimbal you know what fpv stuff I have. Thanks

htotheunit

Having very similar issues with my Wookong on 5.26. Had intermittent yellow flashes with the chopper levelling off during forward flight, then when I got back to the UK it was OK until I had a similar incident to the 'flip of death' in which my choppers number 5 motor went full speed followed by motor 6, ploughing it into the ground.

Upon rebuilding my machine (I think the incident as caused by speed controllers, although it is odd because according to IOSD my mode switch went to ATTI as soon as the incident began) we have been getting more and more issues with the compass (we updated to 5.26 during the rebuild) experiencing yellow/green lights upon takeoff with the mode switching to ATTI. We raised the compass up a little to see ether interference had anything to do with it which worked for one days filming, after which it began acting up again. We replaced our compass module thinking it was damaged, however the issue persists should the compass be low.

Again we raised it up a little and at the moment it is working OK, however if I climb quite quickly the issue occurs then stops once the climb has stopped.

I'll try and downgrade my firmware and see if that helps. Standby for good weather!

htotheunit

Just an update. The downgrade to 5.22 worked a treat. No more switching, No green and yellow even when climbing.

Flying much better on 5.22!