Help in deciding what to build for 2nd multi-rotor.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Currently flying home designed xy8 (Rusty's Frames with 21.5mm arms) with avroto 2418-11's , (updating now to plush 40amp esc's), hoverfly pro flying with around 12 lbs using 2 - 5000 mah batts & 11 " props & sometime 12" props. On occasion get 8 mins flying time, but usually a little less. Mostly fly with GH2 or Gh3 and occasionally a GoPro. Using 2 axis brushless gimbal that's mid weight in size. With THE 40 AMP ESC's * 12" props, I may take a shot at flying my 5D mark II for photo's only. Everything else so far is video. I assume at some point I'll want to go from a 2 axis to 3 axis gimbal and that extra weight may put me over my current config's capability.

I'm contemplating building another unit or modifying this, mainly to get more flight time. But, I'm also wondering if I need a bigger unit for 3rd axis with gh2, gh3, and possibly my 5d mark 2 (5d for photos only).

Idea 1.
Build a quad with low KV motor & 6s batteries that will fly for 15-18 minutes with GOPro 3. Also consider being able to upgrade this to x8 later for heavier loads.

Idea 2.

Keep current config and just 1 MR upgrading to 370-400kv motors with 6S batteries and use existing new 40amp esc's, on existing frame.
Big question is the 21.5mm arms strong enough for xy8 when carrying up to 2.5lb camera for steady video....

Idea 3
Same as 2, but sell existing unit and build new unit with stronger frame and low KV motors & 6s batts.

Idea 4
Build quad for gopro not using low kv motors. Go with higher speed motors and smaller props. Very light weight.... Still want quality video with longer flying times.

I could go on, but I'm hoping someone can give me some things to consider.... First goal is something to carry gopro for 15-20mintues.

Sorry for being all over the place, but thought I'd put thoughts out there and see what others suggest...

thanks in advance....

jfro

Aerial Fun
New issue today, My hoverfly pro board is acting up after upgrading from 30amp to 40 amp esc's. Got one flight in and HF Pro board starts constant beeping when fired up. Able to arm with beeping continuing (with slight tonal problems) and then can fire up engines. Didn't try flying. After a few hours trouble shooting decided to set board back to factory defaults. 2 eproms to flash, 2nd one died. Guessing I might have lost an expensive flight controller. Had it over 90 days so probably no warranty.

So, any suggestions on flight controller for my original sick bird? Stick with HF Pro or try something else. Naza-M w/ GPS?? Open Pilot? ??? ???

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
New issue today, My hoverfly pro board is acting up after upgrading from 30amp to 40 amp esc's. Got one flight in and HF Pro board starts constant beeping when fired up. Able to arm with beeping continuing (with slight tonal problems) and then can fire up engines. Didn't try flying. After a few hours trouble shooting decided to set board back to factory defaults. 2 eproms to flash, 2nd one died. Guessing I might have lost an expensive flight controller. Had it over 90 days so probably no warranty.

So, any suggestions on flight controller for my original sick bird? Stick with HF Pro or try something else. Naza-M w/ GPS?? Open Pilot? ??? ???
Send the HF in and see if they can fix it (they probably can), and don't plug red wires from ESCs into flight controllers in future. Give the Naza with GPS a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regarding your additional build, I've been looking at the TBS Discovery Pro with built in brushless gopro gimbal... but I'm also waiting for the newer Phantom to come out and see how that goes. They're only for gopro though.

I have just built a heavy lift X-8 which is very nice. It's always good to have at least two ships I think. My fave flight controllers are DJI Wookong, DJI Naza and Hoverfly.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have 7 of 8 red wire disconnected. I will certainly send in board to get fixed, but now am without anything to fly and summer is winding down. 3 more months till snow and cold weather, so want to get airborne ASAP. Since I'll probably build another something this year, I'm thinking of just ordering another FC tonight and pay the extra to get it here in one day so I can maybe be flying by Sunday or Monday. Don't really want to lose another week.

I'm sitting on some new gear. Just got in my FPV unit and also a new Black Magic Pocket cam. I'm sort of tapped out right now, but have so much invested, I just figure I'll sell some camera gear or lens.

I'm glad you mentioned you have both Naza and Hoverfly. With Naza M now doing x8 config, it could work for me and I'd certainly like some of the GPS features in the Naza M. Little hesitant because of some of the fly away issues, but I don't envision myself flying too far away. FPV is mainly for framing the video or photo shots....

I'm not real interested in the Phantom, but am wondering about the large quad with low kv motors & 6s vs a smaller discovery type unit. I have ordered a gopro gimbal to try which is very light. Should see that in a week or so..... I may be able to get a few more minutes out of my x8 with the smaller gimbal, but I'm not holding out too much hope in that getting too much more flying time....

Thanks for the input...

bensid54

This is sort of related, I find when it comes to the bec on an ESC I try to shy away from them on my bigger helis. I use a separate bec to power my Receivers and control boards due to frying my electronics on more than one occasion. A bec designated as your only control board power source will save you money in electronics and brown outs that can cause a crash. Now that I'm into multirotor I think my heli days are behind me.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a home made voltage reducer on the copter now. When I fly with 1 battery, I use it to reduce the power to my brushless gimbal.

Right now, I have the 4s powering the HFP. I have the power from the first ESC going to the HFP board and all other ESC power disconnected. Am I incorrect in that. It worked fine with the 30 amp esc's and if I recall, that was how it was suggested to connect up.

I wonder if that was part of my problem today.

bensid54

I find if you go with a remote BEC it takes away a lot of control problems and the input power is always steady with no real bad voltage spikes that can take out electronics.

ryancanon

You could always sell me your pocket cam and use that money for a very nice flight controller...

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jfro

Aerial Fun
You could always sell me your pocket cam and use that money for a very nice flight controller...

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haven't had much chance to play with it, but liking what I saw so far. Little sparce on controls, but great image. It would be a killer deal if it had 60 or 50p. I'll pass on the selling, but wife unit would like me to since the charge card bill will be coming in a few weeks.

I'm guessing they will be available in bulk in 2-3 months.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I agree with bensid54, using a separate bec is better for powering your flight controller. I think it's safer too, if you overdo it sometime and burn out the ESC that happens to be powering your FC and lose control completely it would be a disaster.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I agree with bensid54, using a separate bec is better for powering your flight controller. I think it's safer too, if you overdo it sometime and burn out the ESC that happens to be powering your FC and lose control completely it would be a disaster.

My current config (via the HoverFly Manual) is my 4s battery directly feeds the Hoverfly Pro board. ESC/motor 1 has all 3 wires going to the HFP fc. Then 2-7 have the middle wire disconnected (as per HF manual).

When you guys are talking about a separate bec powering the flight controller, which power are you speaking of.

For the radio receiver, all 3 cables are coming from the Hoverfly Pro and going to the receiver. The receiver has no other cables, so it's obviously getting power from the HFP board. What am I not understanding?

bensid54

It is likely me that doesn't understand, can you take a pic of your setup so we have a better idea of what you have.

jfro

Aerial Fun
It is likely me that doesn't understand, can you take a pic of your setup so we have a better idea of what you have.

my MR is apart right now waiting another fc.

Here is the HF's diagram which I followed. Only I have 8 motors...

Notice the center wire from the esc's go to hoverfly fc only on the first esc. The others, have the center wire (power) clipped.
Then, (not in diagram) all radio receiver wires (3) are connected between hoverfly fc and the receiver. I'm using 6 channels for the reciever and fc. I use channel 7, (which is wired from receiver to the gimbal's pitch input).

I'm just confused as to what the esc's middle wire is supplying since FC is getting power from my 4s battery.

View attachment 13235

Attachments

• hfp wiring.jpg
    hfp wiring.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 258

bensid54

Your receiver is getting it's power from the one ESC BEC and that same power supply is what your master controller receives it's voltage signals from. You should replace this power source with a remote BEC it will save you grief regarding control problems or voltage spikes.

sas

Personally, I prefer to use opto esc's that don't have any kind of bec in them. Always best to power your HF board direct / via voltage regulator as per HF manual and this will also power your rx. I'm sure you are across the fact that HF is pretty picky about which esc's it will work with. I have a decent size quad in my little fleet which uses HF Pro and Hobbywing 40A esc's and feels more like a single rotor to fly ;-)

Current work horses are all MK but I've flown several DJI based systems and they're all good. I've tried a number of other different controllers in my r&d phase and concluded that the 'big three' are MK, HF and Wookong / Naza.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am getting 15 minutes flight time with my TBS Discovery, I am running the below configuration with a 4500 mAh 4s 30-70C Lipo.

GoPro on board, FPV cam, 600Mw VTX, EagleTree Systems OSD, GPS and eLogger. She flys great, very responsive and I am extremely happy with the build.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I am getting 15 minutes flight time with my TBS Discovery, I am running the below configuration with a 4500 mAh 4s 30-70C Lipo.

GoPro on board, FPV cam, 600Mw VTX, EagleTree Systems OSD, GPS and eLogger. She flys great, very responsive and I am extremely happy with the build.

deanot, you listed TBS Discovery with the Core fitted, Graupner 9x5 props, Standard DJI Motors etc....

What are standard DJI motors? What is Core Fitted?

I'm getting a replacement Hoverfly Pro to replace my malfunctioning FC thanks to the kind folks at Hoverfly. I'll put that back on my XY8 and then figure out something to build using the Naza v2 / gps I bought.

So far, the features are nice on the Naza, but I don't get the silky smooth flying and yaw out of the Naza that I do on the Hoverfly Pro. Not sure I'm setup properly yet, but my video certainly is not as good. I'll give the Naza another try and if I can't get it more to my liking, I'll sell it and get another HFP.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to build a discovery type quad with small go pro gimbal or build a more convention quad with gopro and 2 axis gimbal. My first goal is the 15 minute flight time. 2nd wish is for smooth video.... I"m not looking for high speed fpv flying, but rather more air time and decent quality video....

Discovery frame with carbon fiber arms and low kv motors? Discovery Pro with low kv motors? Conventional quad with low kvmotors? Or discovery or other light weight quad with higher dv motors and smaller props?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I decided to just buy a DJI F450 frame for now. Tiger 2216 900kv motors and 40amp Maytech/ simon K flahsed ESC's. Built it friday and saturday ngiht. Bout 6 hrs as I shortened the motor cables and re-soldered all the bullets connectors.. Started with APC plastic props 10x4.5? I think.

Flew today for first time sans camera gimbal & camera. Used my 5000mah 4s batteries from my xy8. Got 18, 20, & 21 minutes on 3 batteries with just casual flying.

Got it dialed in pretty quick with the Naza M. Liking how it flies. Very pleased with the build and flight times. Will wait to see what I get with gopro3 and gimbal...

jfro

Aerial Fun
What's really nice is motors, esc's and batteries are almost cold to the touch after 20 minutes. It's only round 70 here today, so that helps. So much cooler than my xy8 gets.

Other thing I'm ecstatic about is the Naza M flies so much better than I was able to get on my xy8. Yaw and straight flight were not what I wanted on the xy8 w/ naza. Will get the HFP back on that. Things are balanced and good on both MR's. I think it had something to do with the XY8 configuration. Of course there's about 8 1/2 lbs difference also but that shouldn't be an issue....

Will hold final judgment on the litte quad till I see some footage from the gopro. Have to figure out a landing gear and assemble the gimbal.....