To stabilise or not to stabilise... THAT is the question

Bluerex

(US viewers please add as many "Z"s as you feel necessary)

I have had a couple of really satisfying test flights in the past couple of days. The Brushless gimbal from CopterFrames is working beautifully with my 550d and I am looking at lens options.

I like this http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod9101.htm - but ask the question "Is a stabilised lens the best option?"

So.... (as above) :tennis:

Charles

Bluerex

Hehe, Ok Chris, so in general IS lens are considered a good thing.
I guess I was curious as to people's experiences with IS on aerial platforms - was there a downside (like the tripod issues)... so I think I will continue to put body parts on e-bay to fund
the purchase of canon IS lenses :tennis:
I really like the look of the 24mm...

C

SMP

For us, the Canon 24mm IS gets the most AP airtime using 5D2/3 and 550D. It's a wee bit wide on the full frames but perfect on the 550D. Bear in mind, its bloody heavy considering its small size and needs to be stopped down a bit to get sharp sharp corner to corner.

kloner

Aerial DP
we use IOS as much as possible.... if this is nex that sigma lens when your system is spot on works nice, super sharp, but it's not a super tight lens, if you barely wag it you can feel it's guts move around inside and it makes shake... but clear as a bell when it's smooth

tombrown1

I was about to ask the exact same question about the GH3. How important is the ois from the 12-35mm Panasonic lens versus the Olympus 12mm prime without ois?

Thanks,

Tom

jcmonty

I generally turn the pan stab off on the GH3. It makes for jerky pans. IOS will get you jello more easily if your rig isn't dialed.