Multirotor landing ring

andrewrob

We've been looking at loosing the landing skids and switching to landing in a ring raised a few feet off of the floor, are these a DIY only thing or is there anywhere you can actually buy them from?

Thanks

swisser

How big is your multirotor? A bucket with a brick in the bottom works quite well. Or if you want to be more portable, just hand launch/land if it's not too heavy.

Breezemont

Attachments

• browdernet006.jpg
    browdernet006.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 382

andrewrob

Never even thought about using pipe tstrike, and I work for a company that makes it so would be ideal! Boom to boom is about 770mm from memory and about 6.3kg.

Thanks all

tstrike

pendejo grande
yeah, I've toyed with that idea myself for my hex that has a set of landing gear I'm not real fond of, plus I'm hating the restraint in how low you can hang a camera and gimbal. I make all kinds of 5hit outta that stuff, but that sweet hamper in the picture isn't mine.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I tried a large inverted lamp shade mounted on a large tripod and it worked really well... or mount the lamp shade on top of a field post.
Landing on a plastic wash tub or bucket was possible but tricky with all the ground effect and prop wash bouncing back up.

Thinking about losing the photo higher retracts on my SJ8 since my new gimbal hangs a little lower. Save some weight? Anybody come up with a killer design that is still transportable and not too cumbersome?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Not I.... but I settled for the rotating tripod landing gear as used on the Cinestars........ lighter and simpler than the servo controlled retracts and the landing legs never get in the way of the camera field of view.
But PID tuning the yaw axis motor requires the entire MR be hung in a sling.....for the legs/camera to rotate freely.

Thinking about losing the photo higher retracts on my SJ8 since my new gimbal hangs a little lower. Save some weight? Anybody come up with a killer design that is still transportable and not too cumbersome?

Quinton

Not I.... but I settled for the rotating tripod landing gear as used on the Cinestars........ lighter and simpler than the servo controlled retracts and the landing legs never get in the way of the camera field of view.
But PID tuning the yaw axis motor requires the entire MR be hung in a sling.....for the legs/camera to rotate freely.

I just took my rotating tripod landing gear off, I really did not like it.
Saying that it was on the Skyjib mounting plate and toad in the hole.

The cinestar large mounting plate would be much better as you would be connected to the MR directly over a much wider area on the 3mm thick CF instead of the anti vibration plate of the Skyjib, it just felt like it was tugging and pulling too much.
Also I did not like taking off with them as the slightest bit of wind they would start to turn your MR
Toad in the hole is great for handheld on the Movi, Im not 100% sure yet on the MR

Then landing you immediately had to flick a switch to kill the gimbal or it would start to rotate really fast as the pan motor was still working.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think if these guys can fly with no landing gear anyone can...

I've been considering it for a while now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

We can make one up for you if you give us some dimensions etc.

Get in touch through our site, www.flyonix.co.uk or call on 01837 52005

I could take you up on that offer Flyonix.
I was actually on the phone to you a couple of days ago ad bought your microhdmi cable for the GH4 nand discussed the Arrow+

It makes much more sense doing away with the retracts, especially the Skyjib ones, as they are so heavy.

A couple of things to consider, making it lightweight, portable, maybe some kind of suspension in it, and possibly having the legs adjustable for uneve ground.
Not sure if anyone else can add any thoughts.
This could be everyones answer to the sub 7kg problem at the moment as the retracts are usually the heaviest part.

Don't think there would be an option for a co-ax solution, but then again I have seen you flying lawnmowers and Dr Who Tardis's:)

flyonix

Flyonix
Hello Quinton,

good chatting to you on the phone the other day!, didn't realise it was you!

We are in the process of creating a landing/launching ring at the moment, and are taking into consideration about lightweight and portable, as well as other features, What is the wingspan of your machine? is it a SJ8?

I could take you up on that offer Flyonix.
I was actually on the phone to you a couple of days ago ad bought your microhdmi cable for the GH4 nand discussed the Arrow+

It makes much more sense doing away with the retracts, especially the Skyjib ones, as they are so heavy.

A couple of things to consider, making it lightweight, portable, maybe some kind of suspension in it, and possibly having the legs adjustable for uneve ground.
Not sure if anyone else can add any thoughts.
This could be everyones answer to the sub 7kg problem at the moment as the retracts are usually the heaviest part.

Don't think there would be an option for a co-ax solution, but then again I have seen you flying lawnmowers and Dr Who Tardis's:)

Quinton

Hello Quinton,

good chatting to you on the phone the other day!, didn't realise it was you!

We are in the process of creating a landing/launching ring at the moment, and are taking into consideration about lightweight and portable, as well as other features, What is the wingspan of your machine? is it a SJ8?

It is a SKYJIB 6 Super (1080mm from motor to opposite motor) 500mm booms.
Would be great if you could make an extendable/retractable ring [maybe square would be easier] to suit other machines and not be limited to a particular size.

Curious as to what you guys come up with... I made mine but am a little iffy about it after about 10 flights in the last 2 days.. lifting straight up seems to be a chore unless you full throttle to get the gimbal out of the ring.. and as much as these things don't like to descend in a perfect world, "dropping it in" has been a little harrowing. I may try a stand like the one in the video that was posted in this thread. Seems like angled ascent and decent might be easier to nail.

Since I haven't had any interest in my photohigher retracts which are for sale.. Maybe i'll modify those to extend the skids down a little further. Having the ability to land anywhere at anytime in the event something might go wrong is a nice mental cushion to have. My first flight without retracts all I could think about was "don't get to far away" , "must land right there"... LOL

SMP

We're in the same boat, gimbals are now so much lower that we've also done away with the retracts on the jib but the real trick seems to be finding ways to deal with our coaxials. Landing the flat jib in a frame is tricky but landing the bloody coaxials is far worse! Whatever happened to the small landing stubs on the downtube of the gimbal idea...