V2, GPS problem

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I have a problem with my Naza V2.
When I plug into the computer I get the following messager "GPS not calibrated, or magnetic field interferance. Please calibrate GPS again in good condition."
and when I try to connect to the radio outside, No magnetic stuff in the area, I get the Red and Yellow flashing lights.
Anyone know what's up?

I'm outside in an area where I always tested my V1 and the GPS was never a problem. I also checked the area with an analog compass, I couldn't detect any magnetic issues

Giovanni59

I just installed V2 and I kept getting the same message. I calibrated 3 or 4 times and still the same issue.
I kept bringing it outside and eventually it started to fly. I then kept getting an issue with voltage protection, kept landing itself even with full batteries, I turned the voltage protection off ( I time my flights with the TX so not really needed until I figure that out).
I brought it inside to play with the gains and adjust the gimbal and when I went to fly it started right up but would not throttle past idle.
Could not even turn it off, TX had no effect on it, had to reach under the spinning props and power down at the batter while spinning. Now all I get is CFG=ERR and I need to configure my TX but I get no reaction.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Wow!

I would take your's back to the store ASAP! That is totally dangerous, it should work the way it is supposed to. So basically you have no idea what it's going to do from one flight to the next. That's a liability waiting to happen. Take it back before it hurts someone and you get your butt sued off.

DJI is really starting to suck.

johna58

I have an F550 with a Naza-M and GPS, both version 1 and a DX8. I upgraded the software to version 2.12, the firmware to version 3.12 and the GPS to version 6.0.1.2. Until the upgrade, I was able to calibrate my GPS with no problem. Now, every time I try I always get tree flashing red light than a slight pause. In this state, I am unable to start the motors at all this point. I even reconfigure without the GPS. After exporting and recycling the battery connection, I get the same set of flashing red lights. At First, I thought I might have a bad GPS unit but when trying without it, I am thinking it is either the Naza or the software. All indicators says the connection between the Naza and the receiver is working as designed because I was able to fly before the upgrades and when I hook up to the computer, I can still see the response of the transmitter inputs from within the Assistant (version 2.12) software.

Has anyone experience this situation and how were you able to resolve it (if it is possible)?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I'm still trying to get my V2 to work. I think it might be the ESCs not being calibrated, but wow, what a mess. Johna58, wish I had advice, but I'm stuck to.
DJI now has more competition. I think they should have spent less time creating that stupid little Phantom toy and more time making proper MC firmware. I'm about to move to one of their competitors and never look back.

johna58

Wow, having problems with V2 says two things to me and that is DJI did not initiate a quality control process, did not identify and address all parameters, process, did not initiate an adequate alpha and beta testing plan or a combination of all of the above. Maybe they were too focus on trumping their competition and the ever-widening market. With that said, I think DJI is too big and too committed in this area to not listen to all of us and correct these post-production issues. With the reasonable cost of others like OpenPilot and others they should put effort into how to lower the price of both Naza models and GPS units to be more appealing to all.

I have a CC3D that I am planning to use in my QAV540 (whenever that is released). That is why I was reluctant to put it in my F550 (at this time). Besides, I like the RTH feature that I wish exists with the CC3D (Still waiting for REVO to be release to the general public).

I want to apologize, in advance, to all the Phantom owners and this is not meant to be show any disrespect but IMHO, I also agree that DJI should have focused in more on the main line of products and not committed time and resources developing the Phantom. There are many quad copters that under the $200 (USD) for those (like me a few months back) starting out to buy and try.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I got stated in all this with the Open Pilot CC board.
I got one of the first releases. Great system, really fast super configurable. and there is a lot to be said for people who are willing to build their own stuff.

I do this type of thing professionally so I went for the closed source (DJI) in the hope of support and ease of setup. But there is no way that I'm not going to build my own bird. I pick and choose everything I need and then build it. This way I know every, wire, solder joint, screw, bolt, piece of carbon fibre and modified part. Think people who've gone out and bought a pre built system or a toy like the Phantom are doing themselves a huge disservice by not getting to know their system before flying it. Not to mention it's just plain dangerous.

Case in point: There is a guy in my city who is trying to start a business like mine. He had a DJI F550 built for him. Never turned one screw or followed one wire. DIdn't read anything Just went out and tried to fly it because he was told they are easy to fly. (He never flew anything before).
First F550 he sends up flies around (city park) looses perspective panics and hits RTH. However, he didn't take the time to let the GPS initialize before launch so when he hit RTH it just flew away over a neighbourhood. (Nver to be seen again)
Second one (DJI F550) he took so many hard landings and tip overs that things started to come lose. One day he's flying over a crowded parking lot and he blew a motor and the whole thing came crashing down just missing a car, not to mention he was 20 feet from a highway. He's now on his third and flying over roads and neighbourhoods.
My point is; Any of these out of the box systems toted as camera ships are the worst idea, and dangerous as more noobs are picking them up, plugging them in and flicking the switch. Quality control will get worse, as more people get into this more idiots will come along and do stupid things and this whole thing is going to become over regulated.
I already have to pay huge insurance costs and file Special Flight Operation Certificates with Transport Canada for my commercial flights. All it's going to take is some idiot in a city park to loosing control and have it fly into a government building or hurting someone and the whole thing gets shut down.

I've had trouble with this last build, getting know the Naza V2 and forgetting to program the endpoints in the ESCs but I did get it going and not one prop was added to the bird until everything is worked out. Yesterday I balanced my motors, today I balance props, tomorrow I test fly, I've taken my time to cross my "T"s and dot my "i"s. I hope more people get into this and hope more will build their own stuff and take the time to cross "t"s and dot "i"s to.

My rant is over.

johna58

I was introduced to this hobby by my wife in November. She thought that I needed a distraction and stress release from my work (I am a systems and application engineer and the director for all technology for the city and county where I reside) so she get me an AR Drone for my birthday. To make a long story short, I became interested and bought a F550 in January and a Disco the following months (had to wait for orders to be filled). During this time, I have researched and added FPV, OSD, GoPro 3, HorizonHD, Naza-M with GPS and CC3D. I will look at a UHF but I need to find time to study and take the technician level HAM license test. Over the past several month, I have become better and gain more control flying both the F550 and Disco but that is not without my fair share of paying my dues and rebuilding both aircraft. This hobby does take a level of dedication, time, patients and (of course) lots of money. Being a techie person, the last part is what is quickly being depleted. I plan to keep my Naza in the F550 and will install the CC3D into the Disco this weekend as I start my rebuild (last month, I cut the corner too sharp on a turn and the Disco hugged a tree). I think the next advancement to OSD and GPS is proximity warning and collision avoidance with an option to tie it into an automatic override hovering function (as an option).

I agree if anyone (new to the hobby or transitioning laterally from soemthing else like fix wings, cars, boats or even the traditional rotary arena) still needs to know all about their craft and how it works. I have learn and do balance my motors, propellers and watch my crafts weight (I wish I watch my own person weight the same way, lol), the CG and related factors. Matching props with the correct and best battery and conducting pre-flight checks like making sure the propeller nut is on tight enough and checking all screws for tightness (I have also used blue lock tight at times) in important for I have had a nut and associate propeller spin off. lucky for me it was only about 20 feet off the ground and it landed i a way that only one arm was broken (I have learned to keep spare arms in white, black and red handy).

I have digressed too much and have gone off on a tangent...Sorry!

Thanks!

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I was introduced to this hobby by my wife in November. She thought that I needed a distraction and stress release from my work (I am a systems and application engineer and the director for all technology for the city and county where I reside) so she get me an AR Drone for my birthday. To make a long story short, I became interested and bought a F550 in January and a Disco the following months (had to wait for orders to be filled). During this time, I have researched and added FPV, OSD, GoPro 3, HorizonHD, Naza-M with GPS and CC3D. I will look at a UHF but I need to find time to study and take the technician level HAM license test. Over the past several month, I have become better and gain more control flying both the F550 and Disco but that is not without my fair share of paying my dues and rebuilding both aircraft. This hobby does take a level of dedication, time, patients and (of course) lots of money. Being a techie person, the last part is what is quickly being depleted. I plan to keep my Naza in the F550 and will install the CC3D into the Disco this weekend as I start my rebuild (last month, I cut the corner too sharp on a turn and the Disco hugged a tree). I think the next advancement to OSD and GPS is proximity warning and collision avoidance with an option to tie it into an automatic override hovering function (as an option).

I agree if anyone (new to the hobby or transitioning laterally from soemthing else like fix wings, cars, boats or even the traditional rotary arena) still needs to know all about their craft and how it works. I have learn and do balance my motors, propellers and watch my crafts weight (I wish I watch my own person weight the same way, lol), the CG and related factors. Matching props with the correct and best battery and conducting pre-flight checks like making sure the propeller nut is on tight enough and checking all screws for tightness (I have also used blue lock tight at times) in important for I have had a nut and associate propeller spin off. lucky for me it was only about 20 feet off the ground and it landed i a way that only one arm was broken (I have learned to keep spare arms in white, black and red handy).

I have digressed too much and have gone off on a tangent...Sorry!

Thanks!

I think all new comers should be directed to johna58's post.
He sums it up right there.
My hat is off to you Johna.

Circuit

None of these things are toys. Like all hobby grade RC equipment they should be respected and maintained properly. The problem as I see it is that people think that dollars replaces knowledge. Everything not fixed wing in my fleet I have built myself. This is so WHEN it crashes I know how to fix it and make sure it is done right.

When I built my F550/NAZA V2 I watched videos, read a ton, then took my time and did it right. Before putting props on it was checked and rechecked.

Imo, you should have helicopter experience before multi-rotors. Building and flying. These are flying robots.

Sent from my second brain.

Circuit

More on topic...

Did you take the props off and try to reflash the firmware? When upgrading mine it took twice.

Don't put the props on until you get positive bench tests.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
None of these things are toys. Like all hobby grade RC equipment they should be respected and maintained properly. The problem as I see it is that people think that dollars replaces knowledge. Everything not fixed wing in my fleet I have built myself. This is so WHEN it crashes I know how to fix it and make sure it is done right.

When I built my F550/NAZA V2 I watched videos, read a ton, then took my time and did it right. Before putting props on it was checked and rechecked.

Imo, you should have helicopter experience before multi-rotors. Building and flying. These are flying robots.

I certainly agree with the helicopter experience.
Too many people as I said are getting into this with no flying experience.
As far as toys, one only needs to watch the Phantom add to realize DJI is totally toting it as a toy. You know, the add with the magical wrestler.