Hoverfly HF Firmware update server down?

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Well I didn't mean "pro" like Flynt Hill Solutions or Guided Systems "pro", but I always thought of them as for professionals since they became Hoverfly.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

Sounds kinda annoying issue when u got a board all ready to be plugged in... Lol... Although got to admit there Manuel Mode is amazing with 4.8 and I thank the team for at least making something that just works time and time again. Itsmnot the most intuitive system for sure when u first get started, she can't be beat for pro use.

3dheliguy

Sounds kinda annoying issue when u got a board all ready to be plugged in... Lol... Although got to admit there Manuel Mode is amazing with 4.8 and I thank the team for at least making something that just works time and time again. It's not the most intuitive system for sure when u first get started, she can't be beat for pro use.

So I'm trying to update a board and I'm getting the same issue (now 3 weeks after original post). Can anyone test their connection for me? Thanks!

Just checked an same issue here. I can say I have updated firmware about two weeks ago so it was up for a while. Must just be down for a bit again.

workshop

The online update system works for HF (software security, customer control) but only for the customers if they can keep it up. The long term stability of the platform is in jeopardy if the IT falls apart.

hoverben

Person of Interest
The server did go down again yesterday. It is back online as of about midnight last night.

Workshop, if a server is down, that is an issue with our hosting company, not our technology.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Workshop, if a server is down, that is an issue with our hosting company, not our technology.

It seems to me, if Hoverfly selected a particular hosting company, and they prove to be unreliable, it's Hoverfly's duty to find a server more reliable for the sake of their valued customers. Paying customers don't want to hear excuses.

I don't know. That whole statement puts me off. Shifting blame is not the game you want to play. Your technology is good if not great. Your choice of hosting service may be dubious.

workshop

Webheadfred brings up some valid points. I won't address the curt reply from HoverFly other than to say I thought it was unprofessional.

My point is that the online update procedure wherein software is provided via direct connection to a company server rather than downloaded by the customer and later installed (the technique used by most other companies in this field) is counter productive from the customer's viewpoint.

The original intent of the live update system is to protect HFT's IP and that is smart for HFT. However, every time the server goes down it seems that one customer or another is faced with an uncomfortable reality; the products are only as good as the connection to the server.

Opinion respectfully submitted.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi guys, no argument from me regarding the inconvenience of an update server not being available. it's a new phenomenon with HF so let's not quite crucify them just yet.

for what it's worth, after installing the updater and config clients, the links to run the software are placed in the Start menu, not in the originating folder. This detail eluded me initially and I thought everything was running with a live reference to the mothership at all times! I'm better now, thanks for asking. :)

Bart

workshop

No intent to crucify; those guys are college professors and smart enough to know all this already. I am (probably) stating or re-stating the obvious. I know they are off inventing the next best thing and chores like server uptime is, although a high priority for them I imagine, perhaps being overlooked.

It has taken me months to get a website running so I know how hard all this must be for HFT and guys like you Bart for that matter. Hats off to all!

Jeff

hoverben

Person of Interest
I do understand that from the customer's perspective, a server issue is indistinguishable from a software issue; I only meant to point out that there is a difference between the two "under the hood." (Also, I should've used the word "product" rather than "technology."

There's no "shifting blame" involved or intended. Any networking professional will tell you that server downtime is unavoidable; the best you can hope for in the long run is to minimize it. Of course, two occurrences within about a month probably does warrant us taking a look at our current arrangement and seeing if there is a better option.

Jeff: I understand your points, but as I see it, having a downloadable executable would only make a difference if you were reloading firmware that you already had. New firmware would still require you to connect to a server and download the executable (or update it). I really don't see how that makes an appreciable difference in the issue of server reliance. Explain please?