Brushless Gimbal for GH3

jcmonty

I am this guy! haha

Like Steve said, I work with a guy on these. He has a machine shop and is probably one of the best gimbal designers out there. Should get our massive 3 axis one up in running a few days.

The key is reduction. Belt drive on roll makes everything better IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGNWh4JFT0c No post stab. This was when I was still playing with it. Camera was with 12-35mm lens.

I have little experience with direct drive roll gimbals, actually this was my first Nex gimbal so can't compare but the roll holding force is really good. I have a gopro gimbal (which has smaller motors, though) and the cabling had to be thought carefully so that it did not affect the motors capacity to hold the camera in place, here there are two nice things that convinced me: the holding force should have been (and is!) quite high and the cables are passing through a hole in the roll axle so that they do not affect roll. Counter element was that the system would have had a slower response to fast movements but in the real world a 1:2,5 (roughly) reduction still retains all the reaction capacity i am able to ask from it.
Before going brushless i knew i would have had to think about the connections to the camera (video exit, shutter and zoom cables) and that is why i chose a solution that was preferring torque to speed.
Video? Didn't think to publish anything i shot so far but...why not? Test flights are so boring....but worst thing that can happen is someone fall asleep watching it. Hopefully this evening i'll upload something.