NAZA V2 Hardware hands on !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay ready to test.

Ripped out the guts of my CX4 and switched to Naza V2. I know this bird best from its behaviour and it had some wobble on its way when going straight down.
Very interested on the changes V2 will bring.

Bare CX4 guts out:

naza1.jpg

Placing the PMU. Nice aspect no LED included more options to mount the PMU know. In case of a CX4 with dome,
I can finally mount the PMU inside now !

naza2.jpg

Placing GPS. Little modded construction from the original CX4

naza3.jpg

Mounting Naza V2 main controller, Center of Gravity as far as it goes. Little of on the Z axis maybe, but shouldnt be a problem !

naza4.jpg

Can-bus connected from the PMU and the LED

naza5.jpg

LED mounted to the landingear

naza6.jpg

Dome back on, little configuring and good to go !

naza7.jpg

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
No sorry i went straight for the V2 hardware ! But i will update my TBS with the new firmware and NAZA V1 and also give it a spin tomorrow. I know both birds well and how they act. Think it I will be able to have a feel for it what changed !

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yesterday I updated one of my TBS Discovery to the new 3.10 firmware and gave it a couple test flights. To be honest I don't see a huge difference from the 1.8 firmware on the V1 Naza, if anything it may not be quite as solid in ATTI mode as it used to be, feels "looser" on the sticks. It does seem to hold position with less nervousness in windy conditions, there was a gusty wind blowing when I flew it and it pretty much just sat wherever it was when I clicked into GPS mode but it could do that prior to the update, only thing different I saw was less twitching and jumping in the gusts.

I did a couple hard accelerations straight up to get the basic gains dialed in and also let it fall back down from each one, does have a tiny bit more stability coming down but nothing significantly better. Part of that may be due to the Silabs based ESCs reflashed with BLHeli 10 firmware, that made a HUGE difference in stability on descent. If I had any stock ESCs around that I could swap over it would be interesting to see how much difference the 3.1 makes with standard ESCs, unfortunately I don't have any with factory firmware so I'll leave that to someone else to test.

After the upgrade I did a reset to default and re-entered the same settings as before, the Assistant software did force an IMU calibration before it would let me do anything else though, so at least it was aware enough to make that happen.

One thing I was hoping would change with the new firmware but it didn't was the LED flash sequence. Ever since I changed this one over to a PPM connection to the RX and made the change in the Assistant, the LED only blinks green regardless of the mode. The only way I can tell if it has satellite lock now is to keep trying the RTH switch until I see the LED start flashing continuously, then I know it has a lock. Otherwise it never does the 3 - 2 -1 - 0 flash for the GPS, just the same green flash for ATTI/GPS and RTH. Did this on 1.8 and now also with 3.1 and obviously tied to turning on PPM. A bug in the firmware...? Anyone else using PPM have this happen?

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ken,

on my CX 4 i have a Jeti Rsat installed so PPM. Before having the NAZA V1 I didnt have any issues with older and the newest FW and now dry on the table with the Naza V2 the LED also functions fine!

LED communicates over Can-bus those there has to be some logic included in the LED reading out the info what it should show color wise. I woul suspect the LED itself has an issue. Did you ever try switching the LED/PMU.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Actually i remember hearing this before with a WKM and it was indeed the LED as in the LED unit itself. Not being able to mix the colors to red yellow whatever anymore. But I could be wrong and also have a wrong apporach to how the LED works !

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have a couple others I can swap out and see, I even have a brand new spare around here somewhere. The weird thing is it worked normally right up to the moment I swapped to PPM and then it started the green only thing, I'll have to find that spare and swap this one out to see what happens.

At least now I know it's working normally for someone else. Not a big deal since I rarely look at it after plugging the battery in and everything else works as it should, just odd that it happened at the exact same time I did the swap...

Ken

Tahoe Ed

I have a couple others I can swap out and see, I even have a brand new spare around here somewhere. The weird thing is it worked normally right up to the moment I swapped to PPM and then it started the green only thing, I'll have to find that spare and swap this one out to see what happens.

At least now I know it's working normally for someone else. Not a big deal since I rarely look at it after plugging the battery in and everything else works as it should, just odd that it happened at the exact same time I did the swap...

Ken

Hi Ken and Boris,

I just thought that I would share my V2 experience. So far, it is working well on a F550 quad. I have a H3 hard mounted, the DJI iOSD and an video downlink. The F550 quad was an experiment that I am not sure will stay but it is fun anyway and gave me a chance to fly the DJI 10x3.8 props on 4S. That part worked very well, quite, plenty of lift and strong. I crashed three times dialing in the gains, D/R and Expo and in the process only broke one prop.

You will note in the video that at one point I put down the Tx and pull out my iPhone to film. I inserted that in the video. Have a great week.

Last edited by a moderator: