Brushless conversion for av series gimbals?

Maverick

Looks very impressive!

Can you do upload a video of a test in front of a mirror, using the mounted camera, or else do a 'third person view' test...?

Also, do you happen to know the weight difference, i.e. the weight of the materials removed vs the weight of the materials added...? Is the kit going to leave it overall much heavier...?

Mav.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'll be waiting to see what soundmind comes out with before I buy anything else by PH.

Pretty sure most of us in the PH camp feel the same way...

$450 is half the price of an AV130 and not that much less than the cost of a Nex 5 size brushless gimbal. Add the fact that P/H does not have a good history of supporting products, especially when things aren't going well, and I'll pass on this one. For $450 I can buy the motors and an ALexmos board and do the conversion myself, most likely the way I'm going to go now that I've heard the source of the kit. At least I can repurpose the parts if it doesn't work out well and I won't be left with an abandoned product and no support.

Update the RSGS to control a brushless gimbal??? I'm not even going to waste my time thinking about trying that approach, I've already spent far too much of my time trying to make an RSGS do what it was originally intended to do...

Here's an idea, credit me the $$$ I paid for the RSGS, I'll send it back and pay the difference for the conversion kit, that's about the only way I'd even consider buying one at this point.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
retained the reduced drive system to mulitpy the power from smaller motors to keep the weight down. 3rd axis in process.

I exchanged emails with Alex. M. specifically asking about brushless motors driving a gimbal through a gear reduction and he recommended against it saying no one had been able to tune the system when the motors were anything other than direct drive.

Please post lots of video confirming what you've accomplished (without post production stabilization or on board image stabilization) before taking anyone's money.

kloner

Aerial DP
if you've seen ours has reduction and works kick butt. on roll it eliminates roll shake that's in every dd i see footage from bigger than a hero size. this is all three axis on brushless drive

if you've seen ours has reduction and works kick butt. on roll it eliminates roll shake that's in every dd i see footage from bigger than a hero size. this is all three axis on brushless drive

That's super smooth - well done Kloner!

jcmonty

I am with Steve (obviously :)) on this one. Reduction has a lot of advantages, and the Alexmos definitely works with it. All of the gimbals I use have it. Our three axis we are releasing shortly with have yaw and roll reduction. You do lose a bit of reaction speed, but it's not much and depends on the motor. The holding torque you get is impressive. Works well under the MR and handheld We will be posting more videos soon.

Now the 10:1 ratio of the roll on the Av200 may be a bit too much from what I have seen. Might require less windings, but interested to see how it turns out.

soundmind

Hi Guys

Sorry for my absence, been way on business the last couple of weeks, i will post some pics and video during the next week,

FlyACG

Any update on the AV series update or have we lapsed into Photohigher PR mode?

I spoke with Kim at Photohigher earlier today, he says they are filming their demo video and waiting for the kits to arrive from packaging/their supplier. Says they should be available at the end of this week... We'll see in 5 days I suppose!

soundmind

HI Guys, again sorry for the delay, i manageto pull the usb connecter off my alexmos board and had to wait for a nother one.......

video i did yesterday buys being proccessed on youtube.

http://youtu.be/zxF4E1IMgek

this was in 16knots wind gusting to 23knots at times.

i still have some viberations on my frame that seems to be making to to the gimbal at times,

this was with a nikon d600 and sigma 24-70mm f2.8 onboard, i think there are to many guys that will be flying with a 24-70 f2.8

i will try and get some shots with 35mm prime asap.

i must also ad i spent a total of 15seconds balancing the camera - the reduction drive has heaps of torque and is much more forgiving that without it.

i will upload some pics as soon as i have the gimbal back its on its way down to wellignton for some more pro flying ;-)

till then

im out.........;-)

soundmind

will have some pics as soon as i get it back, sent it off to someone who knows what they doing with video to get some more footage, i should have take some before i sent it but forgot sorry will post some soon.

SMP

Sry brother, looks like the same tilt jitters that bloody thing has always had... Roll looked much better though, so I'm definitely hopeful.