550 weight and setup question

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am sure my 550 is heavy, not sure of the weight as of yet but I will try to get that. My question is, what props are you using for somewhat heavy lift? Reason I am asking, my 550 will take off around half throttle in ATTI mode with the following setup.

2 2650 25-50c Lipos in Parallel, 10" new DJI props, DJI motors, Naza M and GPS, Landing skids (not sure of weight). My batteries are pretty warm, getting about 10 minutes flight time and my motors are getting pretty warm too.

I don't like the batteries or the motors getting warm, so I am looking for ideas to fix this. Maybe going to 9x5 props, 4s lipos with a better "C" rating, lower KV motors? For now I need a quick fix, or do you think this will be fine? Ohh, I have my GoPro to mounts under the skid frame too.

Thanks in advance.

meme

Wich motors do you use?
My heavy F550 with 900`Tigers gets warm lipos too, motors stay cool. I do not think that warm lipos are a problem ?

cheers, meme

VINHEX

To really know your throttle you need to switch to manual mode as the wkm will compensate. You need to get some height and switch to manual she should start to drop and you will need to get ready to throttle If over 65-70 % then to heavy for set up.. I had an F550 be it totally standard with graupner props think the weight was 3.2kg with camera and battery.. If you get into trouble switch back into Att or GPS but get ready to do so!!! (Note: this is at you own risk I would hate to advise and she drops like a stone) but I was advises to do this and the throttle was around 75% not enough.. She flew like a bumble bee lol see video

http://youtu.be/PX5_wxvfhWo

http://youtu.be/k29n0O0zVtU

Items can get warm if working a little hard but not hot if hovering around.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Wich motors do you use?
My heavy F550 with 900`Tigers gets warm lipos too, motors stay cool. I do not think that warm lipos are a problem ?

cheers, meme

I am still using the standard DJI motors at this time, I get worried when my batteries get warm, I was under the impression heat is a killer.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
To really know your throttle you need to switch to manual mode as the wkm will compensate. You need to get some height and switch to manual she should start to drop and you will need to get ready to throttle If over 65-70 % then to heavy for set up.. I had an F550 be it totally standard with graupner props think the weight was 3.2kg with camera and battery.. If you get into trouble switch back into Att or GPS but get ready to do so!!! (Note: this is at you own risk I would hate to advise and she drops like a stone) but I was advises to do this and the throttle was around 75% not enough.. She flew like a bumble bee lol see video

http://youtu.be/PX5_wxvfhWo

http://youtu.be/k29n0O0zVtU

Items can get warm if working a little hard but not hot if hovering around.

Still using an Naza M at this time :) Moving out of Atti will make it climb pretty fast, but I am sure that is because of the 50% throttle.

For my F550 c/w landing gear, I use 2 x (25 to 35C - 4S 5000) mah batteries in parallel and 9 x 5 graupners. Batteries get very slightly warm around 13 minutes flight time but that is in cool weather at 3300 feet ASL.

I am sure my 550 is heavy, not sure of the weight as of yet but I will try to get that. My question is, what props are you using for somewhat heavy lift? Reason I am asking, my 550 will take off around half throttle in ATTI mode with the following setup.

2 2650 25-50c Lipos in Parallel, 10" new DJI props, DJI motors, Naza M and GPS, Landing skids (not sure of weight). My batteries are pretty warm, getting about 10 minutes flight time and my motors are getting pretty warm too.

I don't like the batteries or the motors getting warm, so I am looking for ideas to fix this. Maybe going to 9x5 props, 4s lipos with a better "C" rating, lower KV motors? For now I need a quick fix, or do you think this will be fine? Ohh, I have my GoPro to mounts under the skid frame too.

Thanks in advance.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Interesting, Thanks for all of the input. Just out of curiosity, what are your gain settings at? I had seen one guy using 180's almost across the board with exception for Attitude and Vertical gains. Seemed a little overkill to me.

When MR weight increases because of: Larger motors, longer props, heavier batteries......

basic & attitude tuning settings move up from F550 recommended settings towards S800 recommended settings (appears in table near end of Naza Manual).
In my case, when I upgraded to heavier motors, longer props and larger batteries, I started on the work bench by splitting the difference between the recommended settings for F550 versus S800 and landed on 180.

But from there I configured the RC and Naza so that I could make final tuning adjustments by means of the RC xmitter while flying the F550. J
ust configure X1 per Jon Desjardins Youtube videos on that topic....part 1 is located at.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg
Part 2 continues with the Naza Assistant screen settings......
While these instructions are specific to Futaba, the concept for all RC systems remains the same.

Interesting, Thanks for all of the input. Just out of curiosity, what are your gain settings at? I had seen one guy using 180's almost across the board with exception for Attitude and Vertical gains. Seemed a little overkill to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I got my skids installed, GoPro mounted underneath the gimbal mount. I now have perfectly clear images from my time lapse photos, can't wait to one day get some decent gimbal and camera to suit. :)