LOST MULTIROTOR IN HILLSBOROUGH NJ- NEED Search HEXA with FPV

Still pro

I am looking for anyone near Hillsborough NJ to fly over a cedar lot near a park to search for a lost fully loaded 800mm Hexa Aerial photography rig. I was photographing the tower from the X position in the Google earth image below when there was a sudden mechanical issue. I recovered the Hexa with a manual RTH but only got it to recover for a few seconds before she went down. I know the general area she is in but after searching for the past 6 hours we haven't recovered anything. I have a feeling it may be in the top of a cedar in a dense section of the lot. The trees are about 25-30 feet tall in that area. I have a 20" monitor to view the flight on so anyone with a decent Rig that can scan the area for me would be a great help. The weather should be nice the next few days so at least that will buy me some time.

Attachments

• AVM-PARK.jpg
    AVM-PARK.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 365

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I wish I could help but I'm in Toledo for the RC show this weekend. If you're still stuck in the tree I can maybe try to help on Monday or Tuesday?

Still pro

Lost HEXA update: Hexa found and returned

On April 12th I got a phone call from the local hobby shop I deal 5 minutes from my house. (Hillsborough RC Hobby) They asked me if I recently lost my Hexacopter. I told them I did and described it to them. They said they have it sitting in front of them. 2 guys brought it in and said they found it and have been looking through the pictures to try to find the owner. I just went and picked it up. Its trashed but they found it a few days before the rain came So at least some of the electronics are salvagable. The way the shop owner knew to call me was because of the battery connections I use and the battery straps. He is the only one in the area that carries them and knows I purchased them from him. The batteries are puffed and garbage also. I thing the only thing I will salvage is the Naza/GPS,The JR receiver, The video Downlink and the camera lens.The Crane III Gimbal was totally blown apart and the servos for it were apparently spread across the crash site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 423

Dewster

Your multicopter looked way better than mine when it crashed. I lost FPV,two motors, 2 ESC, 6000 mah lipo and a gimbal. My DJI WKM survived along with the receiver.

What do you think happened?

Tomstoy2

It's nice knowing that there are still people out there that will go out of their way and help a lost acft pilot out. If they left contact info, you owe than a beer!

Still pro

I'm not sure what happened. It suddenly went Ito a violent shake. I switched to RTH right away just to get it to come a bit closer knowing it was going to go down. It recovered for about 5 seconds but then went down. I would have to think a prop. I have been using the 14" APC props and they have been great. The only thing that bugs me about them is they are VERY thin and fragile on the ends. I have chipped 3 just transporting the darn thing. So maybe one had slight damage to it. I do a pre flight inspection every time I fly. I didn't see anything abnormal. Guess we will never know. These things can come down any time without any notice. Luckily I don't photograph over populated areas or roadways. You can never trust your machine no matter how much money you have spent on it. 2 motors and 2 speed controls are also trashed. But going to replace all if them on the next build. I can't trust them to carry my Mark II.

dazzab

Sorry about the crash. I'm very interested in how to find a lost bird. Several people mention GPS trackers which seems reasonable but these require the cell network correct? I often time fly out of phone coverage. Also, can't you tell where it crashed from the telemetry? Very nice to hear that people were smart enough to take the gear to a local shop.

Razzil

I asked for video to see if there was anything in it to determine what went wrong. After that comment, I wouldn't help you anyway. Better luck on your next build.