Any Camera Heavier than GoPro on DJI F-550?

For now, I fly only the DJI F-550. I have stock motors, 9" Graupners, minimal weight landing gear(3 fiberglass legs).

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a heavy duty machine like a Cinestar...

...but for now I was wondering if anyone has had success lifting any type of camera heavier than a GoPro with the F-550. (Not thrilled with still image quality from GoPro Hero2)

I see many new light-weight cameras coming on the market. Sony NEX *

Since I'm mostly into still photography and not video, I really don't need any fancy (heavy) gimbal. I'm happy to rigidly (and minimal weight) mount a camera and correct any left to right tilt in photoshop. I'd also need a set-up to remotely trip the shutter.

I believe I read somewhere that DJI suggests a max weight of around 5 lb for the F550. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
View attachment 10862

Attachments

• IMG_8407.jpg
    IMG_8407.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 441

Dewster

Aerialmediapros flew a DSLR camera on their F550 with arm extensions. My F550 that I converted to a Y6 is just shy of 7 pounds when loaded with batteries and a Sony Action Cam. The F550 frame is pretty robust.

VINHEX

I loaded my f550 up to just under 2.8 which was all standard BUT it was flying like a bumble bee.. If you wanting to upgrade it maybe be better to wait rather than forking out upgrades for motors and esc's on the F550.. Only and idea I loved my f550 and they are strong..

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

maxwelltub

I've gotten my 550 to lift a T2i no problem. I should say the lifting wasn't a problem but the stable footage was not going to happen.

toxotis70

i also want to mount a sony nex 5n… its only 350 gr.
Can i do it with my f550 and a light set of legs-gimbal ?

Thanks for all the input so far. Toxo, let find the max recommended weight for a stock F550. I read somewhere that the mass of a heavy set-up impacts the NAZA's ability to control it well. The WooKong (spelling) is engineered for more mass.

If it is determined that a F550 could safely fly a Sony NEX, I'd then need to trigger it from the ground for still photography.

Does anyone know about remotes for these Sony NEX cameras? Is so what is the range and weight?

I'm getting OK shots from the GoPro Hero 2:
Aerial photos GoPro

but,...the lack of image quality from the GoPro stills it very apparent in 12x18 enlargements. I'd want to make prints even larger than 12x18.

Thanks in advance again, for any advice.

meme

I fly the F550 with 900 kv Tigers and a AV130 with Nex5 and the RC Shutter you linked. Works perfect

Topflight

If it is determined that a F550 could safely fly a Sony NEX, I'd then need to trigger it from the ground for still photography.

Does anyone know about remotes for these Sony NEX cameras? Is so what is the range and weight?

I'm using a Strattosnapper to control my video and snaps remotely. Works good. Works through a switch on your radio, so the range is as far as you can communicate with your bird, minimal weight. Aerialmediapros.com has them. The also sell the AV130, which I use.