Editing software.... Where to start?

blades

I'm just getting into multi-rotors.... I have experience of DSLR's and adobe photoshop. Just wondered what you guys suggest as the best editing software for video? I have started out with a Phantom and a GoPro black but I feel I will out grow this by about noon tomorrow :) Already in love with the bigger rigs.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance :nevreness:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My vote is for Premiere Pro. Great integration with other adobe software. Imovie would do everything you need to do with your basic editing. Using a NLE is not hard, you are just cutting and pasting clips for the most part, adding some fades.

Austin913

+1 for Premiere and After Effects. I strayed away from Adobe on the last PC I built and went with Avid Studio, as it was cheaper NLE software and I already spent enough on the computer build. Avid is, eh, ok'ish. Not as intuitive to pick up, coming from Adobe. This was my transition from MiniDV to HD, as I had just picked up a Canon T3i also. Since then I've done maybe 3 or 4 edits with the system... and every time I get back to it I have to figure out my workflow all over again.

Efliernz

Pete
I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 10.

Downloaded online, works well for me, especially with 1080p from the Gopro and Sony RX100.
Lots of tutorials.

Pete

labtopia

AVID media composer, if you or someone you know have student status it's only $295. wider format support and light years beyond premier. you can link to most camera formats without conversion and start working.

trust me, i know what i'm talking about :)

dave

hjls3

I am a complete novice - i worked my way thru IMOVIE and had lots of fun and learned alot. Two months ago - I downloaded the free 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X. Then I bought it. I have never used anything but IMOVIE and FCP for video. I use CS6 for pics and I really do like FCP. Pretty easy to use. Two days ago I edited a short movie with footage from NEX, T2i, T3i and a 5DMK3 - had no problems. Found out some stuff after I was done that would have helped smooth things out a bit but again - i am a novice. My vote - Final CUt Pro X - with a MAC.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am a Media Studio Pro user from way back but these days for easy stuff I just use Windows Movie Maker.

Pete

blades

I am a complete novice - i worked my way thru IMOVIE and had lots of fun and learned alot. Two months ago - I downloaded the free 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X. Then I bought it. I have never used anything but IMOVIE and FCP for video. I use CS6 for pics and I really do like FCP. Pretty easy to use. Two days ago I edited a short movie with footage from NEX, T2i, T3i and a 5DMK3 - had no problems. Found out some stuff after I was done that would have helped smooth things out a bit but again - i am a novice. My vote - Final CUt Pro X - with a MAC.

Cheers for the info.... What spec of mac do you use?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
+10 for FCPX on my new 27"iMac. It worked fine also on my older 23". There is a lot of controversy over the swap from FCP7 to FCPX but if you aint used FCP7 then you wont know what the issues are, all of them are really at the very high end of editing anyhow.

If you get it I have a real handy book I bought to get started. I have done with it now so could pass it on cheap I was going to sell it on Amazon/ebay. was £19 but I will happily sell it on for £10 P&P

ISBN 978-0-240-52383-5

Dave

blades

+10 for FCPX on my new 27"iMac. It worked fine also on my older 23". There is a lot of controversy over the swap from FCP7 to FCPX but if you aint used FCP7 then you wont know what the issues are, all of them are really at the very high end of editing anyhow.

If you get it I have a real handy book I bought to get started. I have done with it now so could pass it on cheap I was going to sell it on Amazon/ebay. was £19 but I will happily sell it on for £10 P&P

ISBN 978-0-240-52383-5

Dave

Hi Dave.... thanks for the info and the offer of the book. :nevreness: Great minds and all that... I have actually ordered it from Amazon already!!

hjls3

The book is great = Dave suggested it to me and I just received it. I certainly wish I had it before I dove in head first, but none the less - stoked to have it now. Worht saying too, even though I did not have the book - nor much experience - i managed a decent edit the first go around. you tube was a helpful spot too.

Hi Dave.... thanks for the info and the offer of the book. :nevreness: Great minds and all that... I have actually ordered it from Amazon already!!

almphoto

I use PP CS6. A lot of my friends that used FCPX are switching over. They like the integration of the Adobe Master Suite.
A great place to learn software is http://www.lynda.com, it's not free, but they have tutorials on a lot of software.

Bison52

I use FCPX too. I benefited greatly getting started from training videos by Izzy Video. Plus Izzy's a multi pilot.

trec-r

Get the Adobe suite. I have used Final Cut, Avid, and many others. The combination of After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Speedgrade really can not be beat. FYI I come from Pro video/film and am rather new to multirotors.

hjls3

Thanks Bison - that is some good stuff. I went thru most of them this morning. Picking up bits a pieces of helpful info. Mostly some shortcuts on what I was already doing. Might check out those Izzy Videos Blades.

I use FCPX too. I benefited greatly getting started from training videos by Izzy Video. Plus Izzy's a multi pilot.