Octocopter at the Arnold Palmer Invitational 2013

Tomstoy2

Personally, I would have taken my club to it!!! Looks to me like he had to be about 10 feet from him, and a damn piss poor job of flying!

Forgive my laugh at everyones expense.:highly_amused: It is great to see the folks who use this technology professionally gaining inroads to the mainstream. I guess I will have to keep my subscription to the Golf channel.

Cheers,
Shawn

Hi Pete and CopterCam, Im really confused at what your talking about. I just took a look at the video and to me, it looks like a pilot who has full control of the multi and is focused on getting shots. In the big leagues, producers only want shots and fully know that the pilot is going to get the multi back into position as fast as he can to redo the shot or try a different variation.

Not to mention all the cameras, all the professional golfers and he is the president of Hoverfly operating his product. Thats a lot of stress and where when literally every step counted, the shoot was a success.

My hat is off to Al, Great Job!!!

Bill
Got Aerial llc.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Does that kind of shot even need a Heli? I would have brought my 18' jib crane. Wonder what the golfer was thinking having that so close to him.

dazzab

It's the final shots that count and if the client was happy then you did a good job. Serious question, how did the players react to it? Did any of them express concern etc? Also, do you need any special permission to fly so close etc? TIA

DennyR

When ever I have flown Major golf tournaments with full size helicopters for course CGI it has to be done when the course is empty of people and carried out with an AOC license and special permission. No pro golfer would allow the noise from that MR during practice.

Stacky

When ever I have flown Major golf tournaments with full size helicopters for course CGI it has to be done when the course is empty of people and carried out with an AOC license and special permission. No pro golfer would allow the noise from that MR during practice.

Well it looks like there were plenty of golfers out there when the filming was being done

Tomstoy2

Well, I guess I see things differently than most people, ( no big suprise there, my sister would say ).
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to pick a fight.*
I'm all about the freedoms our shed blood has given us the right to, and I'm all about stopping big government from taking over these rights.

Guess what I really don't understand is,,,

The FAA has shut down all "for profet" use. Right or wrong, that's just the way it is.
So, when I see stuff like this it makes me wonder what is better? The guy who spends a couple hundred bucks on a quad and then decides he wants to see what the top of the clouds looks like a few thousand feet up, or the guy who spends 5 figures to make some money off his rig and damn the government?

Al, if you vointeered your time and services, then I commend you!
However, if you accepted any compensation what so ever, then you are part of the problem.

Now we are looking at legislation that will restrict any recording of private property.*
I don't care where you fly, unless it is over international water, somebody owns the land.

I see both sides of the debate.
I just want to fly, share my vid's, not have to worry about breaking some damn law somebody pushed thru because they are an alarmist.

I want the professionals to make a living doing their thing, too. As long as they are and can do so legally.

I also want the government to stay the hell off my door step!

So, in otherwords, I have no answers, not even a clue to one. Therefore, it makes me part of the problem, too, not being able to choose a direction.

As far as my origional statment goes,,, ok, a little harsh, agreed.
Still, even with the wind that was evident, and agreed you had way more power than necessary, you do look to be doing a lot if dancing around with the multi.
Me, yep, I would have chased it with my club. Would have made a great faux Bennie Hill clip, knowing full well I would never have hit it!
But that is besides the point.

The point being, there are more and more "professionals" exploiting their rigs for profit, despite the law.
This is almost as damaging as the guy who crashes into a crowd, just like the event last week in China where a baby lost her life.

As I said, I'm also part if the problem for doing no more than arm chair quarterbacking.

CopterCam

Firstly, let me say that I am all too aware of the stress involved in getting the shot, particularly when one has a Director in your ear. These paymasters have little idea, nor to they care of the technical or physical demands in acquiring the shot. I feel we as RC Pilots need to become more fully aware that, the pursuit of artistic endeavour must never compromise public safety.

If Al, as owner and President feels he is in total command of his camera platform, then who am I to argue ? It is great to see RC Platforms becoming a common sight in TV & Film Productions. As one who has 30 years experience in the Golf Industry, I will be more than surprised if we see these operate for close in shots during Tournament play, notwithstanding the safety concerns ?

As has already been mentioned, the Putting Green shoot amounted to a 5 sec 'Slider' shot......... got to commend Pat Perez for his powers of concentration, unless he was already in on the shot ? :nevreness:

Photronix

Pilot
This was basically a demo for the Golf Channel. One of the producers asked me to come out so he had some footage to show people at the channel. Nothing was really planned in terms of shots but we were trying to push the edges of what could be done. I don't think there are any plans to use multi's during tournament play but mainly for features. It sure gained alot of attention.