Hoverfly HELP - I am starting to think I'm "special" - HF Pro issues Green Board

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Ok, so I had this HF Pro (Green) board set up on a cheap frame and it worked very nicely without much effort at all.
Flew smooth as butter, AL worked and to be honest I never even tried AH.

Anyways, I pulled the HFP board out of el cheapo and built a decent Y6 rig I built.
(Pics- First pic shows rig, I have since moved the batts to the main frame and off the gear,
and the second pic shows me setting up the gimbal. All was great!)

View attachment 10525View attachment 10526

It's a fairly big rig at 900mm motor to motor. 40amp ipeaka Simon K esc's with 750KV (big) Ipower motors,
spinning 12/4 wood Gemfan props on 4S with (2) 3500 packs that are brand new.

The HFP board has the power filter, and all the ESC power leads are pulled but 1 to power the rec through the board.
It's updated to 4.8 and I calibrated it. All checked out.

The rig flys great on Manual and I was starting to get the gain set perfectly. Yesterday Auto Level seemed to be going great as well it would be solid, but change a little Altitude when I hit the button ever so slightly.
So since everything was moving along nicely, I strapped on my AV130 and NEX5 and I was going to start the process of getting the vibes tuned out of the rig. I have one of Rusty's vib damping plates installed, and it takes some fiddling to get the right number of the M3 elastic bushings installed to get it all nice, nice and the rig footage ready.

I set up the gimbal last night in the HF set up client and in the workshop it was doing really well. Moving in the right directions, and was actually pretty stable on the first try.
I could rock and roll the rig and the cam was almost stationary.

Today I go out and its a crap day, gray skies, wind blowing 20+ MPH but I wanted to test this thing. (I have been flying airplanes for 20 years and helis for a few so I'm not really scared of wind) Anyways.. I take off and notice that the gimbal after a few moments seems to lose horizon a tad. Strange, but I figure I can tune AL a little before I try to figure that problem out.
I pop on AL and the rig drops the back rotors at 30 deg and takes off after me and the ground. My instincts take over and I flip back to manual and firewall the motors at the same time getting the thing level... right after this, the gimbal goes 30 deg to the right and around 20 deg up.. and remains there like that is the horizon. I land and am now sitting at home.

I had video rolling and you can see it here.

I know there are some vibrations and all of that in the vid, like I just said I was just working on getting the rig smooth. I mean it's not vibrating badly, but it's not "There" yet at all.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck I'm doing wrong?!?!
Did I miss a set up step? I did the calibration with the board turning to all points, and using the hair dryer and all of that. It all checked out.
The board is set for Y6, and all the motors are turning properly. And it flys very stable in manual...even in this 20+ MPH wind today.

Arrgghh. It took me about 20 minutes to clean the poop stain out of my undies when I got home. ;-)

Attachments

• 804138_10200689356026585_874623311_n-1.jpg
    804138_10200689356026585_874623311_n-1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 241
  • set up Y6.jpg
    set up Y6.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Hook it up to the setup software and leave it for a while. See if the horizon on the software drifts after a while. You dont need the power hooked up. I saw something similar a while ago with someones green board, the horizon indicator indicator would drift all over the place and never settle.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
OK so I plugged in the board to the comp. The horizon is tilted at best and moves around slightly but is not flat.
What do I do?

Photronix

Pilot
What firmware version are you using? Have you completed all of the calibrations.

You should be running firmware v4.8 and redo all of your calibrations.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I did update to 4.8 and I redid all calibrations.
I will re-do a flash and recalibrate everything tomorrow again.

I still love my HFP's! This one just has me stumped!

kloner

Aerial DP
i've had it and got rid of it redoing the firmware. make triple sure the switch is in the right spot when your doing it.....

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
OK. I am at a loss.

I think I may live in the votex of suck. Maybe there is some kind of a force field going on here or something?
The same exact thing is happening to both of my green HFP boards.

Here we go...

I re-flashed the new firmware 4.8 successfully as seen here:
View attachment 10554

I then re did the calibration both gyro temperature and Accelerometer as seen checked here.
Also you can see the board is flashed with the new firmware:
View attachment 10555

When I went to the general screen the horizon is all over the place.
And again, this is on BOTH of my green boards...
These pics are all within 5 seconds..
View attachment 10553View attachment 10556View attachment 10557View attachment 10558

HELP!!!

The same boards on a cheap hex rig with a crappy 2 axis gimbal were working perfectly. I MEAN FLAWLESSLY.
I removed them, put them in their silver bags and boxes until I built this new rig.
And now I'm having these issues?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1829.jpg
    IMG_1829.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 256

Stacky

Ok, with respect to your rolling horizons, I have seen before but Im sorry I was unable to get any fix for that.
I think the best thing would be to send a ticket in to Hoverfly via the zendesk help section on their website. Include if possible a video of the horizon rolling or photos as you have done here. If you find a solution a local guy called Alan Henry here in NZ would be thrilled to find out about it, he has the same issue as you

View attachment 13523

When I went to the general screen the horizon is all over the place.
And again, this is on BOTH of my green boards...
These pics are all within 5 seconds..
View attachment 13521View attachment 13524View attachment 13525View attachment 13526

HELP!!!

The same boards on a cheap hex rig with a crappy 2 axis gimbal were working perfectly. I MEAN FLAWLESSLY.
I removed them, put them in their silver bags and boxes until I built this new rig.
And now I'm having these issues?

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Thanks, I hope to find a solution as well. I just submitted a ticket. Hopefully there is a good answer.
I love the way my HFP boards fly! I just want to be flying! and dialing in my new Y6 RIG!

Photronix

Pilot
OK please try the following.

Launch the Firmware update client. Under the board/product pulldown menu there is one called something like "ZTest" (Sorry I can't pull it up right now). Select it and go through the flash procedure on the PRO. IMPORTANT--->Once you flash in Position 1 wait for 3 mins before switching to position 2 and hitting the OK button. Then after you flash in position 2 wait 3 mins before doing anything else. This erases the board.

Now start over and flash v4.8 on the PRO.

Disconnect the USB when you are finished. Wait 30 seconds. Reconnect the USB and re-do the accel and temp calibrations (sorry I know this is a pain). Then disconnect the USB and reconnect. See if the horizon is normal now in the General tab.

It is important after you flash the board to disconnect the USB and then reconnect before launching the Setup client.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Al.. going to try it now!
(I even printed out your instructions so I can check them off!)
Thanks!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Ok , i followed the instructions exactly.
Erased the board. waited the 3 min between switching to pos 2, and 3 min after that.
I reflashed to 4.8. Disconnected the board from the usb cord waited 30 seconds and reconnected.
I redid the calibrations.

When i initially went to the General tab, the horizon started out at level and at 0. Then the horizon remained level for a while and the altitude slowly bounced down to -10, then-20, then -30 and finally kept bouncing from -30 to -50 and back.
It remained doing this for a min or so, and then the horizon went off about 5 deg to the right. At this point I picked the board up and moved it around, and the horizon seemed to follow, but when I placed it back to the level surface, the horizon stayed 10 deg off..

I'll try doing this to the other board tomorrow as I'm too tired to do it tonight.
I can take a video of it if need be just let me know.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
During all of this none, as it's just the board plugged into the computer through the USB port. When I have it in the rigs, I had it as motor 1 for a while and now it's motor 6.
Does the position matter?

kloner

Aerial DP
mine do,,,,,,with power wire from esc bec to thetop left two esc outputs the horizon rolls around, voltage says 2000 and something, gain numbers are nutts, other 6 it just acts weird randomly not linking, going in the rx side is the only consistent way mine work on the green. they have ipeaka w/ simonk and the other is plush. it even acts strange not powered up, just cause the wires there.

theres one black board here that is ice and it has a bad case of the rolling horizon and has been back to hf, then put back in with the same results. For the most part if flies ok

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
How do I go in on the rec side? Extend the red wire from the esc and plug it in where? Straight to the rec?

kloner

Aerial DP
i just undo the red esc bec wire and move it over to the other side. swap it out for any of the red wires or mine are usualy on there own pin on the camera control inputs red wire spot, straight to the rx would work too.... just move it and leave it rough to see if theres a diff