Nab 2013****

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
wow they want to sell it for 15000$ !!!

this preorder offer looks interesting...big temptation...

You do realize the $2500 is just the down payment to hold your spot in line, right? When they eventually build and ship them you'll have to fork over another $12,500...

So far it looks like 4 people have jumped on the bandwagon, not exactly flying off the shelf at that price.

Ken

For $1000 every real estate agent out there can get great quality pics themselves now. I noticed B&H Photo are selling Phantoms now.

O well ... there goes the neighbourhood.

It's not quite that dire, but it is interesting. Will definitely change this industry more than the MOVI it seems to me.

-$679 Phantom
-$1000 GoPro Zenmuse
-$399 GoPro

Roughly a $2000 package, but good luck finding a real estate agent that knows how to anything besides recharge their Iphone

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
You do realize the $2500 is just the down payment to hold your spot in line, right? When they eventually build and ship them you'll have to fork over another $12,500...

So far it looks like 4 people have jumped on the bandwagon, not exactly flying off the shelf at that price.

Ken

15,0000 is just to much to risk anything. If it would be a revolutionary new system and no comparable technology would exist then maybe one could consider ! Dealing with the Zenmuse and comparing it to the Alexmos approach, the alexmos approach isnt far behind. I personally dont buy the three times better stabilization of the Zenmuse EVO. I wouldn't know besides the vibrations ( mainly S800 prob) and the rare but given drift on the roll axis, what should get better.

I think the chances are high that till the end or even before mid year you will see the first brushless gimbal based on alexmos taking cam like a RED. It just a question of the right motors. Than feature like majestic mode have to be implanted to give us more tools and not question stubborn stabilisation.

I am going to hold my horses for sure this time.

Boris

anaka

Hi Boris I agree with you

for sure we will see new motors in the next months that will handle a RED

after Alexmos all have to change

Str8 Up

15,0000 is just to much to risk anything. If it would be a revolutionary new system and no comparable technology would exist then maybe one could consider ! Dealing with the Zenmuse and comparing it to the Alexmos approach, the alexmos approach isnt far behind. I personally dont buy the three times better stabilization of the Zenmuse EVO. I wouldn't know besides the vibrations ( mainly S800 prob) and the rare but given drift on the roll axis, what should get better.

I think the chances are high that till the end or even before mid year you will see the first brushless gimbal based on alexmos taking cam like a RED. It just a question of the right motors. Than feature like majestic mode have to be implanted to give us more tools and not question stubborn stabilisation.

I am going to hold my horses for sure this time.

Boris

It depends on what you plan to do with it. I have a different viewpoint. I am pretty sure I will have this thing paid for in a couple of months.

They have sold over 100 of the hand held versions so far. Not too shabby.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Be aware, they do plan to come out with a smaller lower cost version for a dslr, so there's that. (at least that's what megan said)

DKTek

By the time the FAA is done figuring out what to do, it may cost you $15,000 just to get a commercial UAV license in 2015...and who knows what can be done with that.

The hand held rig is cool though. I assume that it will convert over for aerials easy enough.

tombrown1

tstrike

pendejo grande

Attachments

• hoverfly gimbal.jpg
    hoverfly gimbal.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 397

3dheliguy

The zenmuse that doesn't drift well that's ok. But sorry to say when the DP tells you to change lenses on your GH3 well let's just say your assed out. Running a little crappy pancake lense on a gh3 is not going to fly for all Occasions, and if we know DJI its going to need to be one lense or one very close to the weight recommeded. It's still hobby grade, not much expansion for 5000 dollars. Rather invest my time into the alexmos gimbal board, and as get as far away from DJI as I could.

3dheliguy

That's why Freefly through a crapload of money at there Movi, because they know what the industry wants it's just that simple.

I have to agree with people on here it doesn't look to good for the guys that put in the work. I'm just glad I'm not them, and can reap the subtle rewards of the new less expensive tech coming out.

Tahoe Ed

Consider the cost of being a NAB, $250,000-$500,000 based on the size of their display. That is not a small investment. I am not sure what it cost PhotoHigher since they were outside with the satellite dish guys and a much smaller space. Even with those factors it could not have been cheap. The real question for all of the exhibitors is was it worth the exposure? With 10% margins on the high side and 5% on the low side, you would need the show to generate an additional $2.5-10 million dollars in sales to justify your presence. Really!!! Is it worth that much??

Last edited by a moderator:

llbr22

Consider the cost of being a NAB, $250,000-$500,000 based on the size of their display. That is not a small investment. I am not sure what it cost PhotoHigher since they were outside with the satellite dish guys and a much smaller space. Even with those factors it could not have been cheap. The real question for all of the exhibitors is was it worth the exposure? With 10% margins on the high side and 5% on the low side, you would need the show to generate an additional $2.5-10 million dollars in sales to justify your presence. Really!!! Is it worth that much??

Here's my take on this one:
NAB this year had 95,000 participants. I went to probably a $1M party thrown by HP. There are small time folks there mixed in with big timers. Per NAB fact sheet: $20.7 billion (USD) in purchasing power*

My 'day job' is designing production facilities. Mostly mid-sized stuff where any given signal conversion box , tripods, trusses, lighting, dollys, costs $5k-$20k+. Cameras are $10k-$150k. Sometimes we use robotics. Centralized signal routing costs us hundreds of thousands.

So is it worth it to manufacture for a market that's busy working in pro-production? If professionals see the value in a product, then. Absolutely.

I've seen manufactures go from a small 5 x 10 booth to 30' x 30' or more. When certain niches in this big industry catch on to something they like, it grows super fast.

I counted 6 or so multirotor booths scattered through the central, south and outdoor halls. I'm sure some wont be there next year, but I'm pretty sure some are here to stay.

SMP

I'm going to add a set of handles to my AV200s, put a cow sticker on the side and sell them as MooVii's for 8000.00

Stacky

The thing is you arent looking at 5% or 10% margins. The margins are much higher than that, they have to be to be able to generate enough income to stay alive.