DJI Ground Control Station Challenges

I am very eager to get the DJI Ground Control Station software up and running with my new WKM. I bought the LK900 Mhz (DL900) version.
And for a price of $520 for the package my expectations are high in view of the price and excellent quality of the other DJI products which I own and fly as indicated in the signature below.......

HOWEVER......... I am in need of some timely and qualified technical support.......

They key issue is that GCS datalink cannot yet be established. When trying to establish a wireless link to the WKM a box appears on my screen indicating "trying to handshake to controller".
Before it is able to complete the message "permission denied" suddenly appears and there is no path forward......

I am hoping someone on this forum will be able to help me...... Tried dealer support but no response thus far :upset:

Hope I don't have to move to "PLAN B"!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
DJI DATA LINK AND GCS SOFTWARE SETTINGS PROBLEMS

I get Permission Denied and failed to connect to datalink.
Please check if your DJI waypoint function has been activated. You need to enter new Serial number Provided by your dealer into assistant software to activate new waypoint functions.
Please contact your local DJI Dealer if you wish to purchase a upgrade .
If you have purchased the DJI Data Link it will come with 1 free waypoint or click and go as more commonly known. When you purchase the DJI 2.4GHZ Data Link from Quadcopters.co.uk please email us with your Hardware ID no from your Wookong M and we can obtain a upgrade serial number for your wookong View data link .

Handshake failed when connect the datalink.
Please check if:
1.Datalink is powered.
2.USB driver for datalink in CD is installed.
3.Select the correct Com Port in GCS.
4.Keep the distance between air-side datalink and ground-side datalink more than 2 meters.
Handshake failed can also mean the new upgrade serial number has not been entered into the Wookong M so the GCS software and WKM will not communicate .
Check by clicking info in Assistant software and it will show you the serial number , hardware id and also any upgrades that have been enabled like waypoints etc.

Does the DJI GCS support 64bit computer operation system?
Yes, it supports 64bit Window 7 OS, doesn’t support Android and Mac OS so far. Please keep your eyes on annoucement or news in DJI formal website.

Can I install DJI GCS on more than one computer?
Yes, however, only one computer can work the datalink at a time.

The Map does not appear in GCS, what can I do?
Please make sure the latest Google Earth Plugin installed correctly, you can try to open google map alone to find out if it works well, otherwise, the plugin has to be reinstalled. Additionally internet must be hooked up at your first usage of GCS. Please update google plugin as well as GCS if you update.
Another note when you install the data link and GCS Software for the first time , please ensure you do this in the order on the GCS CD as this will install everything needed inc google maps plugin etc.
HARDWARE INSTALL PROBLEMS
What am I supposed to do if there is something wrong with WooKong-M installation?
Please refer WooKong-M manual, WooKong-M FAQ and other chapters and sections related on DJI formal website.

Should I plug 2 USB into the PC at the same time?
This is not recommended we advise just having one usb device connected i.e. the DATA LINK Receiver to be sure of no problems.
DJI DATA LINK WAYPOINT GENERAL PROBLEMS
Does WooKong-M datalink support video downlink?
No,it does not.You can use video downlink from the third party, However DJI Have just released DJI OSD for the Wookong M and also 5.8GHz Video downlink please see Quadcopters.co.uk main site for this.

Datalink can be automatically cut off in one minute.
Please make sure you use DJI Wookong M datalink, not the original DJI helicopter waypoint datalink or 3rd party datalink.

I burnt the datalink by mistake, what should I do?
Please contact your local dealer for repair, do not fix it by yourself. Always ensure antennas are connected at all times when powering up DATA Links or video TX/RX

I lost my GCS CD, where can I download it?
We do not provide download of GCS. Please contact the local dealer or DJI headquarter to get a CD.

What’s the working range of 2.4GHz datalink ?
Range is approx 3km with the 2.4ghz data link .

I have a 2.4GHz Radio does it interfere each other if my Tx and datalink are both 2.4GHz?

No. It uses intelligent frequency hopping or smart Spektrum technology, so they won’t interfere each other.

Will waypoint mission continue if my radio signal is lost?
The waypoint mission will be continued, However if the aircraft operates fully-autonomous mission, regardless of Tx signal and datalink signal. If the Datalink Signal is lost the software will cause Go Home function.

How to use the DJI Groundstation Software?
Please go through user manual, there is also a simulation mode that will fully simulate a real waypoint mission.

What features does DJI GCS have?
GCS provides lots of useful features at different levels to meet most the needs of customers.Different permissions make the features different, you can reach DJI local dealers or DJI headquarter for details.

Must I have Internet Access while using Groundstation software?
No. It will turn into offline mode automatically when there’s no internet. You need to load the map of your flight area with internet first. The map details will be saved in your PC automatically and can be used in offline mode when there’s no internet outdoor.
So if you have no internet connection or wireless dongle at the flying site , please first fully zoom into the chosen area on the map and the pc should cache this . Do not clear cache if doing this as you will need to reload the map in your chosen area.

Does the DJI Data Link Transmitter and Receiver need seperate power supply ?
No the receiver connects to the Can Bus on the DJI Wookong and the Transmitter connects via USB on the laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for that feedback......I gleaned a few items from it.

But I was under the impression that the new offering which includes one free waypoint was all inclusive for the $520 hardware/software package and that a change to the serial number would no longer be required.......
If it was changed at time of purchase, no-one ever advised me.
I bought the WKM from one supplier and the GCS from another.
And there seemed to be some evidence yesterday that the link was partially established since the message was:
Unable to complete datalink...... please confirm correct WKM datalink voltage or ensure driver is correctly installed........ something like that!

Since today is a US Holiday...... looks like I have to wait another day to get some action from the dealer!

Three days of torubleshooting wears a guy down!!!!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Tell me about it... I thought you got a serial at the time of purchase? but as you say, if they changed it they should have said so. Hope you get it sorted out...

thinwing

# days huh??Mine has taken about a solid week of debugging new s800/wkm/iosd/900 lmk....down to last few issues I think...The thing I do not quite understand is offline use.Typically I would have internet access at home and than drive somewhere i plan to operate .If I understand this..you open google plugin and zoom to highest level of area you are operating in..say a 5 kilometer circle...ok ..than what....no where in the program is a save map function to harddrive...just a map will be saved auto matically to cache...is this in ram memory than?meaning you cannot turn off computer during you drive to location???Would somebody smarter than me explain how this works???regards kp cocuh

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Reduced my troublshooting time by not getting involved with the iOSD at all.... had enough on my plate without that extra challenge.
I drove to a flying site that had no internet access, booted up GCS and selected connect to my 900Mhz datalink system and there was the MR shown at the appropriate location on Google Earth. Flew in Futaba RC mode and there was the live GPS coords and the flying trace in the correct locations...... so yes it does work. Why???? I don't know.... maybe the GCS overlay has all that built in already. I did note however that there is a historical slider bar at the lower left where you can select Google earth historical satellite maps from a range of years and therefore the maps are all historical while the MR position moves across them (unlike Garmin where the maps move underneath your centered vehicle icon.

hazardpro

It gets cached in the GE cache. Eg view location at home before you set out... This is then cached in GE... Turning pc off is fine (it works just like you web browsers cache)

Doug