Hoverfly Big X8 Observations.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Greetings folks!

Thanks to a lot of bad weather, I was able to finish my X8 build. Here are the specs...

HFP & GPS
40" MTM.
Avroto 2814-11
Turnigy Plush 40a ESC
APC 11x47 props
Carbon fiber arm tubes
Rusty's Frame
Quadframe legs.
2.5kg aprox without gimbal
4s 5000 mah
External Magnotomiter per Hoverfly
Media Tek GPS 2.0 antenna
4.6r3 firmware.

Observations....

First, I set the gains on my T8FG to 60 to begin with as I've used arms this long before. Just a couple of tweaks and I settled on 90 for the gains. It is absolutely the smoothest craft I've flown. Hovers at 40% throttle. Maneuvers with authority.

I dialed out the drift in AL and restarted. Autolevel is very nice. GPS hold is very nice. Much better than the Y6 ever was (more on that later). Took her up a little, about 10m, and engaged AH. I kept my finger in it in case it got squirrly. It descended about a foot and held nice and level. I was really pleased with this as I never could get the Y6 to hold well.

I didn't try RTH as I was pressing against darkness but will do more tests tomorrow. As I maneuvered to land, it was so very smooth that it landed and touched like a feather. No bump. No constant adjustment. No fighting the thing to get it on the ground. All much better than expected.

Here's what I think...

The biggest difference are the new motors. Compared to the RCTimer BC3536-11, these Avroto 2814-11 are night and day. As I was building, I tested each arm for vibration. At full RPM, the vibration was nearly imperceptible at the other end of the boom. Each motor was this good. I think all my previous issues were the bad motors causing vibration, affecting the HFP sensors. As well, the variance of the RCTimers were huge. A few were just ok and the rest were crap. I didn't fully realize this until I got the new motors. I mean NIGHT AND DAY!

I opted for the 11x47 props to get faster motor response when the HFP needed it. I normally use a slightly bigger prop on the bottom as it gets better efficiency. I may try a 12x38 on the bottoms. Not until I get the camera on the new gimbal though and see how she looks.

I did do something different and I may regret it. I put the ESC's completely in the body adjacent to the arms. I intentionally over sized the amperage so they wouldn't run so hot as there won't be as much air flow. I felt them after the flight and they were barely warm. Also, I used a combination of crimps, solder, crimps with solder, to determine if one was better of if one would fail before the other. By far, it's faster and easier to use crimps. I kinda modified a few of them to get a smaller joint as it was getting tight inside the body. We'll see. I also soldered all the motor connections in the frame. To replace a motor or ESC would require a complete disassembly of the X8. Probably not too smart on my end but I'm stuck with it now. I also placed the ESC's on their sides as this was the only way they'd fit. This required a spacer between the arm mounts and the body plates to allow them to fit like this. I also added for good measure, a rubber spacer hopefully to reduce vibrations. With the new motors, I doubt I'll need them but they're there now.

I can honestly say that this build does everything Hoverfly says it should. It flew so incredibly easy, that it nearly brought tears to my eyes. I love big multi's as they're so stable. Tomorrow I'll do more testing and hopefully take a video of her flying. I've included a few pictures. If I can help anyone from my build, let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 412
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 421
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 407
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 420
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 399
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 359

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Hey John,

I haven't decided on a camera yet. I'm looking towards the Panasonic Lumix type camera to start. I have the Hero2 now but the Rusty's Gimbal I'm fix'n to put together will hold more camera. The Hitec 7940 and 7945 servos I have should handle those pretty nicely.

The arms are 5/8 carbon fiber tubes I bought here. I've used them before and they work nicely.

Arms are too long if you ask me but i would like to see wideo off it flying.

Hi Lanzar

Interested in your comment especially because of your great experience with X8's (which I think I have followed most!!). But I thought that longer arms would be a bit more stable? Or are you thinking about avoiding props and arms in video view?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
As well... I'd like more from your X8 experience. I've had another X8 that was 36" MTM and it was far more stable than my 20" MTM quad. I'm using the same type arm on this one and just thought I'd take advantage of a few more inches. First flight was beautiful. I have a few gun permit things to do this morning but I'll take and post a video this afternoon. I appreciate your feedback.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
I told ya! I knew you would like this config. The large X-8 is so smooth. We still don't use a gimbal on ours. There is no real need yet.

Lanzar

I must say it looks smoothe. Well since i dont have experience with hooverfly this looks wery stable. No payload atm so hard to say what will happen later on. We saw that DJI does not like long booms in any configuration. Its ok in low wind but when the automatic wind corection kicks in the longer booms cause more wooble. Well good Job. Now you got me interested that i finaly unpack one hooverfly and test it. :)

jonseal

I just finished watching the video (sorry I missed that before) and it looks pretty stable and flies nice. Ineed some advice. Have you ever had or simulated a motor failure? If so does the software compensate for that or make it worse? Second question, have you ever tried using the x configuration with out using 4 90 degree angles? For example 75 degrees and 105 degrees? Thanks for your help!

jon

PaNt

I just finished watching the video (sorry I missed that before) and it looks pretty stable and flies nice. Ineed some advice. Have you ever had or simulated a motor failure? If so does the software compensate for that or make it worse? Second question, have you ever tried using the x configuration with out using 4 90 degree angles? For example 75 degrees and 105 degrees? Thanks for your help!

jon
The X8 is not 90 degrees angle.. The + is 90..

jfro

Aerial Fun
Anybody know what the angle of the arms is for an xy8?
Other than getting the landing gear farther away from the lens (wider angle to shoot), what is the advantage of a xy8 or an x8. I hear peeps saying the same thing about both. More stable in wind with little loss of lifting power over octocopter....

Webheadfred: You mentioned hovering at 40% throttle with your 8 avrotos 2814-11's. Wonder what that would be with 1500-2000g more for gimble and camera? What do you think you could safely add (maximum) to your rig in terms of gimble and camera weight?

I have ordered a few parts, but was going to build my own center piece out of aluminum with FC arms. After looking at your build, those center plates look pretty nice. I may look into those some more. Part of my reasoning on starting with a blank center plate, was I wasn't sure of my arm configuration in regards to maybe trying a x8 or xy8 type layout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I'm getting a solid 8 minutes with the X8 using a 5000mah battery. As I add the camera gimbal and camera this weekend, it'll add another 1kg to the weight. I expect it to remain stable in the wind and I expect 6 to 6-1/2 minutes. After I prove this, I expect to upgrade to an 11000 mah battery or use 2x5000mha. I'd like to get 10-11 minutes flight all up. I have a small quad that I get 15 minutes maneuvering.

I haven't tried simulating a motor out. I have seen video though of a fellow in the jungles in South America lose a motor and land without incident. I expect the HFP would handle this without much fanfare as it would simply increase the power to the arm that dips as a result of the failure. As long as you're in the middle of the power curve, the single motor will more than compensate. The others will manage the yaw issue and there you go.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm building something very similar. 8 - Avroto's 2814's and an X8 or XY8. Main difference will probably the span. I'm looking at 29-32" inches. Going to start a little wilder and bring the motors in bit by bit. Not sure on batteries yet, but going to try 4s 35C ( or 40C) to start.

Ordered one of Rusty's new 21.5mm frames.

Let us know if you get the 10,000 mAh batteries....Be interested to see/hear how they do.

Aerovideo

That looked really smooth in your video, even in the wind. Now you've made me want an X8 too :)

Any onboard video from it yet?