FPV Regulations in Australia

homer911

Anyone in Australia know where I can find the regulatiins for FPV. I was just about to buy 20mW transmitter for UK but i mat be moving to Austraila soon. Also, what are the regulations for commercial use or a mulitrotor?

Cheers

Steven

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Edit: well I completely misread your post didn't I :\

Last edited by a moderator:

Coptergeist

As far as commercial use. You need a license to do any commercial work with them. Which is basically your ground subjects for a pilot license and a whole lot more, which will cost over $10000 to achieve, and a long time. There are only 26 people in the whole country with the license. I can post the full details of what you need if you like, but it is very lengthy.

homer911

As far as commercial use. You need a license to do any commercial work with them. Which is basically your ground subjects for a pilot license and a whole lot more, which will cost over $10000 to achieve, and a long time. There are only 26 people in the whole country with the license. I can post the full details of what you need if you like, but it is very lengthy.

Cheers Coptergeist,

$10000???? WOW. Why so high? I dont think I will be going near that. Could you PM me the links anyway. Worth a read..

homer911

OK, so I shouldn't gett 900Mhz. How about 5.8Mhz? And what about the power, we are limited to about 20mW here in the UK and this is very limiting regarding distance. I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for on the net.

Anyone from down under with a Video Rx & Tx that could help?

Steven

Coptergeist

Legally 5.8GHz you are good. But it doesn't punch through tree's etc very well unless you use a helical antenna tuned to 5.8GHz. Some people are using 1.3GHz, not sure if its legal though. The thing to consider is if it will conflict with emergency services frequencies. But the laws are very behind the times here about FPV. You will probably get away with a more powerful TX like 500mw, and I can't remember reading any info about the laws regarding power, but considering the law that you are not suppose to fly beyond line of sight, you might guess that something like 20mw might do about this distance. I use 5.8GHz 500mw and have even been pulled over by the police with my whole ground station in the back seat and they asked me what it was etc, I told them and it didn't concern them at all. Anyway hope this is a help.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Just an add on to this thread.

Australia looks like getting some common sense into the commercial flying for AP, some of the lighter flying weight rigs are probably going to be able to get basic approval by simply filling in a form online.

Still not enacted yet but CASA look like taking a fairly sensible approach.

Pete

Coptergeist

Just an add on to this thread.

Australia looks like getting some common sense into the commercial flying for AP, some of the lighter flying weight rigs are probably going to be able to get basic approval by simply filling in a form online.

Still not enacted yet but CASA look like taking a fairly sensible approach.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update. Do you have any links that I might find out for information regarding this. How did you find out? I had a conversation with the people from aerobot, and they mentioned a similar thing. But can't find out any more information about it at all.

Cheers