DJI "NEW" 10" Props

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
My question is how do you know your going to need 10" rather than 8"?

Beep, Beep, Honk, Honk, Over and Out Rotorhead

Trial and error or experience from someone who's already done it. There are too many factors to be able to say one will work where the other one won't. Weight is a huge factor and will help determine prop size and if your model is heavy, bigger props will be required versus the opposite. 10" on a stock F550 is probably fine with 3S but I hear with 4S you should use 9" but I have no experience with that personally. I fly an F550 with 750Kv motors and 10"x5 APC props that I balance to as close to perfect as I can. Hope that helps...

I am worried that the proper balancers don't all work. I have two not very expensive ones and they don't even come up with the same results. Do you think getting a more expensive prop balancer makes a big difference? What prop bouncers are you guys using?

Thanks, Tony

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I am worried that the proper balancers don't all work. I have two not very expensive ones and they don't even come up with the same results. Do you think getting a more expensive prop balancer makes a big difference? What prop bouncers are you guys using?

Thanks, Tony

Tony, it has a lot to do with the way you put them on the balancer too. In my opinion they are all pretty much the same. The key is if the shaft is straight that the prop sits on and if there is as little resistance as humanly possible. You need it to spin freely and then you can balance it from there. You don't have to be perfect, just as close as you can make it. It is not just a skill, it takes some finesse. Make 110% sure that your prop is on the balancer perfectly, if it's off you won't balance right. I spend about 10-15 minutes per prop but I'm over-the-top, it probably is more like 5 minutes but I prefer perfection I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The kit is coming with 4 propellers of 10 in and 4 propellers of 8 inc, I'm comfused about that.

Let me start by saying I do not own a real DJI F550 and I have never used their propellers ever and I never would even if they were given to me for free. The reason why is for a long time now their propellers have been known to be garbage, they break easy and sometimes in flight (the old ones anyway). I use APC propellers myself but you can't use those so I would highly recommend getting some Graupners then if you afford them. You will fly much smoother and your flight time will likely be a little bit longer, they are expensive though. I don't care for the DJI motors myself, they have an 8mm notched shaft which they use to force you to buy their garbage. My 2 cents...

abonto

For balancer get the Dubro and nothing else, your balance will be the same even if you take it-out, re-mount it and whatever. For me I find the new DJI 1038 close to the graupners and it's a lot cheaper, I ordered more of these. If your payload is heavy use the 8" propeller matching it with 4S batteries, I also find the 8" to be spinning faster , therefore, eliminating vibrations and shakes (good for aerial photography & videography), but if payload is not that heavy, 10" is perfect! I honestly, don't like using the 9" props because I have to bore a 8mm hole on it, and I screw up the alignment most of the time (your prop most be precise), if DJI comes out with a 9" that will fit the 8mm, I'd probably start using that with all my 3s.

Here's the 1038 props, trust me it's pretty good!
http://www.dji-innovations.com/dji-releases-1038-10-inch-propeller/

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
For balancer get the Dubro and nothing else, your balance will be the same even if you take it-out, re-mount it and whatever. For me I find the new DJI 1038 close to the graupners and it's a lot cheaper, I ordered more of these. If your payload is heavy use the 8" propeller matching it with 4S batteries, I also find the 8" to be spinning faster , therefore, eliminating vibrations and shakes (good for aerial photography & videography), but if payload is not that heavy, 10" is perfect! I honestly, don't like using the 9" props because I have to bore a 8mm hole on it, and I screw up the alignment most of the time (your prop most be precise), if DJI comes out with a 9" that will fit the 8mm, I'd probably start using that with all my 3s.

That's hilarious that you say that, The Dubro, because that's exactly what I just so happen to have. I bought one randomly and got that one and I swear by it also, they work very, very well.

Faffer

I am new to all this but was looking at what prop balancer to get .. I phoned up this place http://www.4-max.co.uk/prop-balancers.htm

And was told the TopFlite Power Point Prop Balancer would be better then the Dubro... now is that sales talk or would it be better

I need real life users to give me feedback so I get the right one 1st

I will be getting a DJI 450/550 thinking more towards the 550

Cheers

Richard

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I am new to all this but was looking at what prop balancer to get .. I phoned up this place http://www.4-max.co.uk/prop-balancers.htm

And was told the TopFlite Power Point Prop Balancer would be better then the Dubro... now is that sales talk or would it be better

I need real life users to give me feedback so I get the right one 1st

I will be getting a DJI 450/550 thinking more towards the 550

Cheers

Richard

Richard, since you're asking for opinions I'll give you mine...Quads are TOYS that are nimble and fast but not for filming unless that's what you're after, tricks and flips. Get the Hexacopter, check out my YouTube channel. I have the F550 and to me that's where it's at, power to lift and agile enough to do some serious flying. I am now doing inverted split-S's from 50 feet up to around 4-5 feet off the deck...it's way too much fun.

Faffer

Richard, since you're asking for opinions I'll give you mine...Quads are TOYS that are nimble and fast but not for filming unless that's what you're after, tricks and flips. Get the Hexacopter, check out my YouTube channel. I have the F550 and to me that's where it's at, power to lift and agile enough to do some serious flying. I am now doing inverted split-S's from 50 feet up to around 4-5 feet off the deck...it's way too much fun.

Hi Helloman1976

I was thinking a 550 for video and learn and then the TBS frame for later and FPV .. so I am one end of the scale or the other .. the 450 is in the middle so ok for both but then Id only be looking to upgrade to bigger for more lift.

Will check out your video files later

Just got my TX and RX got a deal on a 8FG so plenty of switches for options on the 550

Richard

Dewster

Hi Helloman1976

I was thinking a 550 for video and learn and then the TBS frame for later and FPV .. so I am one end of the scale or the other .. the 450 is in the middle so ok for both but then Id only be looking to upgrade to bigger for more lift.

Just got my TX and RX got a deal on a 8FG so plenty of switches for options on the 550

Richard

You can get good video with the F450 and longer flight times on the less expensive end of the spectrum with a quad. My DIY XAircraft crashed when a prop broke in flight (Gemfan carbon fiber). This was before DJI's spinning recovery update for hexas. I had to test my WKM to see if it was still flight worthy so I put it on my F450 using the surviving Avroto motors from my deceased Hexa. I had mounted a GoPro camera underneath the belly of the quad and got excellent vibration free video using unbalanced APC props. I had 9 minute flight times using a 3s 6000 mah battery (the only ones that I had for my Hexa). I had to land it into a cigar box since I did have landing gear. Lol

Quads are easier to transport and faster to deploy. They give longer flight times because they typically need less power. Just make sure you have reliable props. Lose one and you're done.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Hi Helloman1976

Richard

When I read that what I'm thinking is that you're going backwards, why would you learn on a Hexacopter and then go to a Quad? Once you have a Hexa you'll never want to see a Quad unless you want to go fast and do tricks and aren't worried about clear and clean video. An 8FG should cost you $199 brand spanking new with no servos and no receiver. What did you get and where?

hjls3

An 8FG should cost you $199 brand spanking new with no servos and no receiver.[/QUOTE said:
I would like to know where you can buy a 8FG for 199$?

Faffer I like what you are thinking. The 550 is a nice stable platform to learn on. Once you get that dialed the TBS is a nice bird that you can fly quite a bit faster. Either platform is perfectly capable of clear and clean video.

Faffer

To me the TBS will be better for FPV but the 550 will do both just needs more power and wont stay in the air as long ..

I was tempted with the 450 but just think for the extra I can get more lift. Failing that removing 2 legs from the 550 and I have a larger 450.

Still a long way to go and parts needed .. its just time and making sure I go the right path

Richard

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I would like to know where you can buy a 8FG for 199$?

Faffer I like what you are thinking. The 550 is a nice stable platform to learn on. Once you get that dialed the TBS is a nice bird that you can fly quite a bit faster. Either platform is perfectly capable of clear and clean video.

Sorry, it should have been $299 not $199 but here it is and there are several on there at that price. If you look on the internet you'll also find them at that price. I thought they did not come with a receiver but it turns out they do just not servos. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190686825989?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
To me the TBS will be better for FPV but the 550 will do both just needs more power and wont stay in the air as long ..

I was tempted with the 450 but just think for the extra I can get more lift. Failing that removing 2 legs from the 550 and I have a larger 450.

Still a long way to go and parts needed .. its just time and making sure I go the right path

Richard

Typically, from what I've seen, the quads don't stay up as long as the Hexacopters it's the other way around. The quads, from I've seen again, stay up around 5-8 minutes and my Hexacopter stays up an easy 13-15 minutes with no issues with weight or any problems at all, see my YouTube channel if you want a demo. I usually land at about 11-12 minutes to keep a reserve on hand but I could go as long as maybe 18 minutes on these packs to empty. With a Hexa you have the ability to lift more also so you can carry much more battery than a Quad, I have the option of getting 5,000 or 6,000mah batteries and run them in parallel and I could stay up for well over 20 minutes in that case. I've never seen a quad stay up for longer than maybe 10 minutes max. Also, I run 4S packs and if I went to 3S I'd be up in the air for days... :D

Typically, from what I've seen, the quads don't stay up as long as the Hexacopters it's the other way around. The quads, from I've seen again, stay up around 5-8 minutes and my Hexacopter stays up an easy 13-15 minutes with no issues with weight or any problems at all, see my YouTube channel if you want a demo. I usually land at about 11-12 minutes to keep a reserve on hand but I could go as long as maybe 18 minutes on these packs to empty. With a Hexa you have the ability to lift more also so you can carry much more battery than a Quad, I have the option of getting 5,000 or 6,000mah batteries and run them in parallel and I could stay up for well over 20 minutes in that case. I've never seen a quad stay up for longer than maybe 10 minutes max. Also, I run 4S packs and if I went to 3S I'd be up in the air for days... :D

I'm only getting 5 to 6 minutes on my F550 with 3S batteries 5000 mah. I must be doing something totally wrong!

BTW, I did order the Dubro. Thanks

SMP

We have the Dubro and TopFlite magnetic balancer. the Dubro is easier to use due to slightly higher resistance. This will get you a 9.5 out of 10 balanced prop. The top flite will give you a 10 out of 10 but you'll earn it. Bottom line both work wonderfully, if we have cocktails and several hours we use the magnetic.