Another fail-safe query for the internet...

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hi all,

So on the Naza + GPS system I currently have fail-safe return to home working when I enable it via the 3 position switch on my tx, however when I test it with signal loss by switching off my tx it does not return to home. Instead it just gradually drops to the ground using the rx built in preset fail-safe setting (currently 25% throttle) in ATTI mode.

I am correct in thinking that signal loss should activate the return to home function yes?

Do I need to set my preset fail-safe on the Spektrum rx to be the fail-safe position on the Naza with say 40% throttle?

Here's another question, do some of you use mixing to take advantage of all 4 modes of your Naza - GPS, ATTI, Fail-Safe and Manual? Just to give me an idea, how have you got your transmitter set up to take advantage of 4 modes with only a 3 position switch and some 2 position switches?

I was thinking of being in GPS mode then having a mix on another switch to move to fail-safe. But I am still pretty new with this and not really sure what the best way might be, if at all possible.

I have a Spektrum DX7s with an AR8000 receiver.

Cheers :)

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Yeah I have advanced fail-safe set to go home and land, which works when I enable fail-safe by the three position switch, that is not the problem.

The problem is that when I switch off the tx for signal loss it just lands (safely). No return to home. :apathy:

I think I need to reconfigure the Spektrum preset fail-safe to default to the Naza fail-safe position. I wish the had different names to avoid confusion.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yes that's correct. If you take the naza fail safe out of the equation and set your bind fail safe to say 40% throttle, that's what it will do if you lose signal. In order to default to fail safe you need to bind your radio with the fail safe switch enabled. Now when you lose signal the radio defaults to whatever the nazas fail safe mode is. Keep in mind their are 2 different bind modes where one way is specific for setting up the radios fail safe.

Pozzix

Hi there,

I have a DX6i and I set TH at 15%. Is it true that when Naza doesn't receive signal from Rx (tx signal loss) take the whole control of quad despite the percentage of TH long as it is more than 10%?

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hi Pozzix,

Our terminology might cross over a little but this is my understanding of it...

TH (throttle hold?): I have a throttle hold switch on my transmitter which is a mix that puts throttle to 50%. This holds the quad in a hover when activated.

Fail-safe: On the Naza this is a software setting for land or return home & land.

Preset fail-safe: A feature built in to some receivers to default to a preset tx configuration if signal is lost. You need to check if your receiver supports this feature, set the switches and throttle on your tx that you want as defaults (throttle above 10% but below 50% so it does not fly away, flight mode in ATTI to land safely or Fail-safe to return home & land if you have GPS), then re-bind your tx to the rx using the preset fail-safe bind method.

I found that 25% throttle in ATTI worked nicely for auto-land, at least from a short height.

If you have warnings enabled on your transmitter when you turn it on (eg: throttle above 10%), you will have to disable the warnings before re-binding the preset fail-safe then re-enable them after binding.

Pozzix

Hi Hartz,

you are right, something rush play some jokes :)

TH is for me abbrevation for throttle.
I perfectly knowing about differences about failmode types (i.e. Failsafe, smart failsafe and preset failsafe)
I configured my tx (dx6i) and rx spektrum ar8000) in preset failsafe mode with failsafe switch activated and throttle on 15% of its course (referred on calibration values of naza assistant sw). When I switch off the tx, on naza assistant sw I can check failsafe mode active and throttle on 15%.

My question regard if 15% of throttle value is enough or I have to increase till 40/50%. IMHO if naza take control of bird and throttle is over 10% (as write on manual) it will be works, so 15% of throttle value may be right. Should Naza manage throttle itself or it was based on preset failsafe throttle value?
Has someone experience on that?

Thks

Max

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
It does not manage the throttle speed unless you use return to home failsafe. It holds throttle at the value you set it at until signal is restored or you turn it off.

I would use 25-40% depending on how heavy your MR is. 25% worked fine for me without any camera's/stock weight - It descended quite smoothly.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Guys,

Is it normal that the flight mode slider in the Assistant doesn't indicate failsafe even though the transmitter has been turned off? Is the only way to check this by flying it and flipping the radio power off?

I get the Failsafe position on the slider when I use the two-switch combination with the radio on but when I flip the radio off it doesn't move.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hi Bartman,

We're all out of Bort license plates :)

It sounds like you don't have the preset fail-safe set correctly. When you turn the tx off it should move the sliders in the Naza assistant to the flight mode and throttle position that you have pre-configured.

Pozzix

Bartman, don't try if you don't have a correct response in assistant sw. As hartz say you don't have set correctly preset failsafe.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Bartman,

We're all out of Bort license plates :)

It sounds like you don't have the preset fail-safe set correctly. When you turn the tx off it should move the sliders in the Naza assistant to the flight mode and throttle position that you have pre-configured.

That's what is weird. I have a two channel mix set up so that I can trigger failsafe with the radio and I've used that switch combination when I bind the receiver but i'm not getting failsafe when I turn off the transmitter.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I think I know what you mean. Maybe try reversing your mix switch so that the mix switch off position will enable fail-safe, and the on position will enable manual mode. That's how I have mine configured at least and it works like a charm.

3 position switch: GPS, ATTI, X
2 position switch: Mix to change X between Fail-Safe (when in off position) and Manual (on).

Pozzix

If I understand your issue, this regards how you setting preset failsafe. I use Spektrum 6ch tx with 8ch rx and I had bind tx/rx with throttle at 35% and failsafe 2 position switch (mix of two switches) in on (up for me) position. It works very well for and if turn off the radio naza switch in failsafe mode with throttle at 35%. What tx brand are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
That is the preset fail-safe setting. Sorry, I thought your were already binding using that method for some reason :|

Glad you have it sorted.

wizzy87

Hartz, if im correct in assuming you want the same as i have just setup.

I have a DX8 and An AR8000

i have set it to smart failsafe, meaning when signal or transmitter it switch off, then the rx goes into smart failsafe and in turn uses the RTH function.

Here's how i did it.
First of all.
On transmitter, Set up half stick, and put into GPS mode with RTH switch activated

Plug Bind plug into RX
Power Up Quad You should have Amber flashing lights on RX
Then start to Bind TX with RX while in this process, remove bind plug.
Once Bound power off quad then TX

Plug into GPS Naza Software power up with TX and test it.
When TX is turned off it should go into RTH function

Hopefully this helps.

Phil