GPS and Failsafe

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I just got my WK-M ship in the air and am trying to get it fine tuned - a bit tough when it is -20 C out. However my question is this: In order for failsafe Go Home to work (for Come Home to work when the transmitter loses connection), does GPS have to be set when you bind? I guess the question is does Go Home work if you are not in GPS mode? I thought about this as I was doing the Preset Failsafe bind with my Spektrum 10t and decided to go back ensure that GPS mode was activated before I did the bind with Go Home or does GPS kick if you select the Go Home switch? ...it would be good to know for future reference.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Dah, after thinking about it, it only makes sense that it has to be in GPS mode otherwise it doesn't know where Home is - at least that is what I would assume.

olof

Osprey
I have a Naza unit and I assume (you know what they say...) they WKM is the same.

As long as you have satellite lock on 5 or more when taking off (more are better) you can fly in any mode you like, and if radio contact is lost then Naza/WKM will go into FS mode, and come back or land depending on how you set it up.

I always power up in GPS mode and once I see the LED indicating 6 or more satellites (on Naza this is a slow steady green blinking) I take off usually in Atti mode.

Razzil

You should really get all the functions working in the software setup client before you start flying and trying to use them. You might find this link below some help. It's regarding getting the 3-position switch working on a spektrum transmitter. The difference between the Naza and Wookong aren't much differently other then waypoints. I found using the sub-trims worked for me, when getting the three of them dialed in ... link here. Another thing to remember is if you're getting that toliet bowel effect, spinning around in a circle ... double and triple check you're GPS location and measurements.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
olof, good insight - that makes sense.
Razzil, I will check that link out

Thanks for the feedback.

fredor

Olof is there some reason you take off in attitude mode and I take it fly in ATT mode as opposed to GPS

olof

Osprey
Olof is there some reason you take off in attitude mode and I take it fly in ATT mode as opposed to GPS

I like atti mode better for video, it is smoother the heli is not continually trying to correct position. I like to use the wind to give me smooth shots. And I also find the smoothest move for a camera is to just get some speed going and then let go of the sticks, in GPS this will stop the heli in position, in atti it will give you a smooth glide, you can climb or descend smoothly this way as well while drifting. By accelerating into the wind at an angle and then letting go in atto you get a very nice smooth arced flight path. I guess I just like to "feel" the wind and use it.

I have also found that GPS gets more accurate once you are up 10 meters or so, there are a lot of trees where I fly so poor or spotty reception may have to do with this. I have found that the GPS on takeoff has a tendency to want to move the heli laterally. Whereas if you use Atti you know what will happen it will drift with the wind.

I really do like GPS it is a great way to hold waiting for something to happen, like a train to come out of a tunnel or a person to enter a scene, but once I start shooting I like to just drift with occasional smooth inputs. And GPS is definitely very handy if you loose orientation or sight of the heli. Or if the wind gets real nasty and gusty and you just need to get down and land, or hold for a bit to wait for the gusts to die down.

I fly in the mountains where the wind does funny things at times.

I use a Naza it may be that the GPS in the WKM is a lot smoother but the smooth drift part probably still holds true.

Here is a video from a F450 and GoPro and a F550 with a NX5n and gimbal:

Last edited by a moderator: