I've Had It With DJI ESC's.....advice?

That was before I had a Blue in my hands and was able to open it up and verify they are the same thing. Whichever Chinese factory makes the Blue Series for HK also makes them for Maytech along with writing the firmware. There aren't that may operations that actually design and build ESCs though they do at times customize them to vendor request if needed but often the same hardware is sold by a half dozen or more vendors the only difference being the label, color of the shrinkwrap, and the price.....

.....If you set the Maytech to 16kHz update rate they fly better than a standard ESC that only does 8 kHz but they aren't even close to how smooth the reflashed version is, there is a very noticeable improvement when used with a WKM and the current SimonK firmware.

On the matter of who makes what....here's an interesting find: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11215832/tm.htm

As for the rest.....How DO you reset the update rate to 16khz? The card won't do it, I understand.

....sT

crcr

As for the rest.....How DO you reset the update rate to 16khz? The card won't do it, I understand.

I'm interested in that also.

If the Hobbyking Blue Series are the same as the Maytech ESC's, does that mean you can change the refresh rate to 16Khz on the Blue Series also?

Have just been comparing the 40amp version of Blue Series and Maytech. The specs do seem to be the same except the size and weight. The Maytech is 3mm higher and 8g heavier.

Maytech:
MT40A-SBEC-V1

• Application Multicopter, RC Airplane and Helicopters
  • Cont.Current 40A
  • Lipo 2-6Cells
  • Burst Current(10sec) 60A
  • Net Weight 38g
  • BEC 5.5V/4A Switch
  • Size(mm)(L x W x H) 52x23x10
  • Programe Device Transmitter/Program Card

Blue Series:
Cont. Current: 40A
Burst Current: 60A
Battery: 2-6 Cell Lipo / 5-18 Cell Ni-XX
SBEC: 5.5V/ 4A Output
Size: 52*23*7mm
Weight: 30g

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

mbsteed

aerial video centric
When the ESCs arrive read the section of that manual on programming. Based on my memory (it has been awhile) - start out with TX throttle in high position which then starts the programming of the ESC you also setup a motor and ESC and a battery altogether. You will hear different sequence of sounds, see the manual, each sound sequence is a different setting in the ESC - when the sounds get to the 16Hrz then quickly move the throttle stick to the bottom - you will hear confirmation beeps then unplug everything. Mark the ESC with permanent marker as being done, move on to the next one. This is just a vague description - I would go by the manual.

You are getting those from Mikrokopter.us - I wonder if those are coming preprogrammed? Has the fellow from there gotten back to you on that?

The description does say: "Excellent for use with most Multicopter systems right out of the package. No need for complicated modifications."

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm interested in that also.

If the Hobbyking Blue Series are the same as the Maytech ESC's, does that mean you can change the refresh rate to 16Khz on the Blue Series also?

Have just been comparing the 40amp version of Blue Series and Maytech. The specs do seem to be the same except the size and weight. The Maytech is 3mm higher and 8g heavier.

Maytech:
MT40A-SBEC-V1

• Application Multicopter, RC Airplane and Helicopters
  • Cont.Current 40A
  • Lipo 2-6Cells
  • Burst Current(10sec) 60A
  • Net Weight 38g
  • BEC 5.5V/4A Switch
  • Size(mm)(L x W x H) 52x23x10
  • Programe Device Transmitter/Program Card

Blue Series:
Cont. Current: 40A
Burst Current: 60A
Battery: 2-6 Cell Lipo / 5-18 Cell Ni-XX
SBEC: 5.5V/ 4A Output
Size: 52*23*7mm
Weight: 30g

Yes, the programming options are exactly the same, they use the same programming card, and the instuction manuals are the same only with different company names. The blues come with very thin heatshrink the Maytech with thick which accounts for most of the height difference, weight differences are usually due to lemgth of wire and weight of heatshrink. Both are made by ZTW with the only difference (besides the sticker and heatshrink) is Maytech charges 3X as much as HK for theirs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20673934&postcount=105

Some options can only be set via TX programming, 16kHz refresh rate is one of them. Another nice feature is you can reverse the direction of the motor in software so no need to worry about which ESC wires connect to which motor wires. Changing the refresh rate is a PITA because you have to work through about 12 other options first and they're all designated by different tones, it will taKe you a good half hour or more to change 6 of them...BTDT...

Ken

You are getting those from Mikrokopter.us - I wonder if those are coming preprogrammed? Has the fellow from there gotten back to you on that?

I'm afraid not. I have sent two emails in an attempt to get an answer to that and a few other questions. As of yet, there has been no response of any sort beyond the robotic reception emails claiming that the inquiry was received.

....sT

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

I tried, killed 2 esc's and never did get it to go. hobbyking sells an atmel plug that stradles the chip it's programming and looks like it's easy, but

Yes...I've looked into the flash procedure. And I am with you.....while I suspect I'd be able to muddle my way through eventually, I'm afraid I'd have a casualty or three by the time I got it figured out. Think I'll pass. Unless I just HAVE to, I'll just program for 16kHz and call it a day.

That is...unless we have someone from the Carolinas that is familiar with all this and willing to help out. ....Anyone???

sT
official forum chicken

OK.....for those in the know, here's another probably stupid question......

To program the 40A Opto's: As the opto's do not have a BEC, can I place them individually in the circuit with the WK-M and program each of them there.....or do I have to program them away from any affects of the WK-M using a battery and BEC.

(obviously, I've never had to reprogram an ESC on a multi before.....this is new to me)

....sT

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I programmed mine separately and I think that is how the WK-M manual suggests it needs to be done as well. However, not sure how that works with opto version.

mbsteed

aerial video centric

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
hmmm came across this - no soldering involved perhaps flashing those ESCs might be doable after all.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27195__Atmel_Atmega_Socket_Firmware_Flashing_Tool.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7PfHRGb7F8&feature=player_embedded

Oh it sounds like you would also need:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Programming_Device_for_ATMEL_proccessors.html

Do this before you cut the red wire.

Is this what you would need for flashing the Maytech ESCs?

Yes, you would need both. I have one of the flashing tool adaptors on the way along with a box full of 30A Blue series for a couple new builds. The flashing tool will save a lot of time vs. having to solder/desolder 6 wires to various spots on the board just to load the firmware. I wouldn't cut the red wire, just lift the tab on the servo connector and slide it out then wrap it to the cable with some electrical tape, you never know if the ESC might wind up on something else where you would need or want to use the BEC.

Has anyone tried these Multicopter branded ESC's http://www.multicopter.gr/esc/multicopter-gr/bullet-connector/mc-40ab-77-detail that have already been flashed with SimionK. I guess they are re-branded something but not sure what.

Ken, have you seen these ones at all? good or bad?

Thanks

From the description and the two side by side caps at the power end my guess is they're ZTW/Maytech/HK Blue hardware. At approximately $32 US plus shipping from Greece not a bargain for what you get, you can buy and reflash 6 HK Blue for less than the cost of 2 of these shipped.

Ken

crcr

Thanks Ken

I think I'm going to visit HK. Just a question about the 600hz of the SimionK flashed ESC's. Do you notice a big difference in performance and handling in the wind with the 600Hz over the standard 400Hz ESC's? or is it not necessarily the 600Hz but something else in the firmware that makes the SimionK firmware better with the DJI.

The reason I ask is that in the Tech Specs on the DJI site it only lists 400Hz as a supported refresh frequency. http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/wookong-m/specifications/

Thanks
Craig

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken

I think I'm going to visit HK. Just a question about the 600hz of the SimionK flashed ESC's. Do you notice a big difference in performance and handling in the wind with the 600Hz over the standard 400Hz ESC's? or is it not necessarily the 600Hz but something else in the firmware that makes the SimionK firmware better with the DJI.

The reason I ask is that in the Tech Specs on the DJI site it only lists 400Hz as a supported refresh frequency. http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/wookong-m/specifications/

Thanks
Craig

The whole 400/500/600hz thing is mainly marketing BS and really has little to nothing to do with how fast the ESC can change the speed of the motor. The input Hz rate is determined at the controller end and most of them have been outputting 400Hz for a long time as that has been what the fastest digital servos have been capable of so it has become somewhat of an informal standard. The fact that the ESC can receive and interpret the PWM data at 400Hz really has nothing to do with how the firmware works on the backend cycling the FETS, it only means that the controller can send more PWM cycles. Standard firmware uses a throttle filtering algorithm that purposely slows and smooths the output rate at which the motors can spool up/down so in the case of say an RC heli you're not breaking or strippng rotor drive gears by making the motor speed up or slow down too quickly. This is not what you want in a multirotor, to compensate for wind you need to be able to change the speed of the motor in either direction as rapidly as possible and that is exactly what the SimonK formware does, remove the throttle input filtering and allow the ESC to make those changes as rapidly as the hardware is capable of. Once you've flashed an ESC with SimonK code I wouldn't recommend using it on your Trex 450 unless you have a lot of maingear sets you want to use up.

If you study the PWM architecture you'll see that it really can't go much beyond about 450Hz, it's a limitation in that you simply can't get that many cycles into the timeframe unless you can change the laws of physics which to the best of my knowledge none of the Chinese factories have managed to do yet... ;)

Ken

crcr

The whole 400/500/600hz thing is mainly marketing BS and really has little to nothing to do with how fast the ESC can change the speed of the motor. The input Hz rate is determined at the controller end and most of them have been outputting 400Hz for a long time as that has been what the fastest digital servos have been capable of so it has become somewhat of an informal standard. The fact that the ESC can receive and interpret the PWM data at 400Hz really has nothing to do with how the firmware works on the backend cycling the FETS, it only means that the controller can send more PWM cycles. Standard firmware uses a throttle filtering algorithm that purposely slows and smooths the output rate at which the motors can spool up/down so in the case of say an RC heli you're not breaking or strippng rotor drive gears by making the motor speed up or slow down too quickly. This is not what you want in a multirotor, to compensate for wind you need to be able to change the speed of the motor in either direction as rapidly as possible and that is exactly what the SimonK formware does, remove the throttle input filtering and allow the ESC to make those changes as rapidly as the hardware is capable of. Once you've flashed an ESC with SimonK code I wouldn't recommend using it on your Trex 450 unless you have a lot of maingear sets you want to use up.

If you study the PWM architecture you'll see that it really can't go much beyond about 450Hz, it's a limitation in that you simply can't get that many cycles into the timeframe unless you can change the laws of physics which to the best of my knowledge none of the Chinese factories have managed to do yet... ;)

Ken

Thank you very much, appreciate your detailed reply. Just one more thing before I decide on the ESC I need.

After the ESC has been flashed with SimionK firmware, is it working harder in any way that would make it heat up faster meaning there is a need to go for the next size up?

I'm building a Skyjib X8 for lifting an AV200 with 5D, 2 x 6s 8000mah packs so I'm guessing the weight is going to be around the 8 - 8.5kg mark. I was looking at the 40amp ESC's but wondering if I should go to 50 or 60amp to be on the safe side. A little extra weight but maybe worth it?

Thanks
Craig

hexacop

HexaCop
Instead of spending the $$ for the Maytech, order a set of these instead for $10.47 each http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html
If you want 40A go with this one for $18.33 each... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html

EXACTLY the same hardware and firmware for a lot less cash and available in the US warehouse. I've had both the Maytech and Blue Series unwrapped on the bench and there is no difference, the manuals are even the same with minor wording differences here and there. Currently using a set of these on my Cinestar 6/WKM with SimonK firmware driving AXI 2814-22 motors, they are definitely up to the task.

Ken

YES, fully agree.
And you know what, Maytech is selling OPTO versions, but THERE IS NO OPTO, at least not on the 30A ESC
See my post and the pictures here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807625

hexacop

HexaCop
Has anyone tried these Multicopter branded ESC's http://www.multicopter.gr/esc/multicopter-gr/bullet-connector/mc-40ab-77-detail that have already been flashed with SimionK. I guess they are re-branded something but not sure what.

Ken, have you seen these ones at all? good or bad?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure this are the same ESC like RCtimer HVSK-40A Multicopter Brushless ESC 40A (OPTO)
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=850&productname=
I have received them and will test them in the next few days.