Hoverfly GPS blinking purple with MediaTek antenna

Aerovideo

I've submitted a ticket but thought I might post here as well to see if anyone had any ideas.

When I hookup the GPS to the Setup Client everything shows as okay and I get a GPS lock even inside my house. I then disconnect it from the computer and try the main flight battery and the GPS blinks purple briefly, then appears to get a lock and goes to red then either green then sometimes it makes it to blue then it immediately switches back to blinking purple which according to the manual means an error. See this video to get an idea of what's going on.

It still has the 2GB micro SD card that came with it. I erased the files on it and tried again and still no luck. I tried a 32gb micro SD card and it didn't work either. No files are being written to the card. The 2GB card is formatted Fat(16).

I've never had any problems with my GPS until using the mediatek receiver.

Both HFPro and GPS are running 4.6.2, just flashed them both again this evening just to be sure.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghaynes

Paul there is a file on the SD card that contains data needed by the GPS. I think it is a declination database. If you wiped that out then that might be the problem. Interesting on the card size since mine is a 4gb.

Aerovideo

Thanks Gary, that was indeed the problem! All is well again. I think I got one of the earliest GPS cards when they were first released, maybe that accounts for the card size difference?

While my GPS is now fixed, the problem I was originally trying to solve when I made things worse is about 1 in 5 starts results in a purple flashing light. Unplugging the flight battery and trying again usually works. I still wonder if this might be a slight difference with the antenna. Like the antenna takes longer to start up and reply to the GPS card so the GPS thinks no antenna is attached.

Pure speculation on my part.

Paul