F450 Day 1 First Flight

Background: I've never flown anything RC other than a few 'toy' level planes and $20 helis. I had RC cars and boats as a kid though.

Built up an F450 and waited (and waited) for my HK order of batteries and charger to arrive to no avail. This past week I'd had enough waiting and went to a LHS to get enough supplies to get started.

Finished the build earlier today and took it for a maiden flight. Right off the bat I think my aileron and rudder were both reversed, but I was able to navigate it (basically) enough to run through a whole battery.

Re-charged my only battery (until my super late HK order arrives) and went back out after reversing a few controls in NAZA Assistant and it was much easier this time. Seems to hover relatively steady? All settings are at defaults.

Pic of it finished: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jabella/8300864693/in/photostream

Video of second battery flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2yMQiQa9D0

HOLY CRAP, IT FLIES! I had to shift the battery once or twice to get it to stop drifting, but now I think it's fairly steady?

Anything terrible that I've missed or anything troubling from the video?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I find it interesting, like yours... My low battery light flashes and it hits the floor. Got to look into that myself.

DesJardins

I personally disabled the low-voltage cutoff function as I always time my flights, check voltage and have an alarm from MaxAmps on my balance port.

But if you want to use that function there is a really good video on YouTube that takes you step-by-step on how to calculate and calibrate the correct values with load...etc

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I personally disabled the low-voltage cutoff function as I always time my flights, check voltage and have an alarm from MaxAmps on my balance port.

But if you want to use that function there is a really good video on YouTube that takes you step-by-step on how to calculate and calibrate the correct values with load...etc

I take it this is the one? Pretty informative, shame he never made the 2nd part, but it is a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

Des,

Is this the alarm? Does it work well?

I see some similar type alarms on other places cheaper - I might have to get one (or re-tune mine) as it goes off WAY to soon. I probably flew 4-5 more minutes after first red light today.

Finally took it outside. Traversed a few small yards, got more height. No disasters, not even a hard landing.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I got a little video yesterday too, can't do anything today, we got some ice storms going on right now.

After 6 days I've flown 4 or 5 times - got a few more batteries and have been learning. Here is a short vid from today, cut from 30-40 mins of flying:

I'm slowly getting the hang of things - it got windy later in the day. I still feel like it sounds really rough on video, not smooth the way I expect, but I'm not sure why.