DJI Naza F550 jumping up and down (+/-5 metres)in altitude hold. Unflyable!!

Mon0bLE

I'm new to all this, and I bought a hexacopter a couple of months ago and I've had some problems. I'd really like to hear what you think. Here is a copy of an email I just sent to the retailer (sorry it's so long):"....I've just come back from testing the hex outside and I only managed a couple of minutes as it was practically unflyable.After lifting off you can instantly feel something is wrong as it just wants to drop back to the floor and ends up bouncing along the ground when it should be ascending. When it does get up it will randomly shoot 5 metres into the air and then drop back down again. It is a truly terrifying thing to fly, and I can't really get any enjoyment out of it at the moment. I have had several crashes after trying to hover and having the copter drop out of the sky and tear itself up on the grass.It is worth noting that none of this occurs in manual mode, so the problem is definitely with the Naza. I have tried many variations of gains, trims, settings etc. and recalibrated the software and transmitter. I've also different startup procedures (e.g. starting in manual, waiting for 5 sec, taking off, switching to ATTI) but nothing fixes it. A few weeks ago I was getting the occasional good, solid flight, but recently its been out of control. I read somewhere that the newer Nazas have a problem where the Barometer is affected by sunlight exposure on its left side, so I have tried covering that side with tape, but to no avail.The problem is especially frustrating as I am hoping to start doing some FPV, but at the moment this would be both incredibly dangerous and quite impractical. From my point of view, there is a problem with the Naza you sold me, but I be interested to hear your opinion. Here is a video demonstrating how, when the throttle is placed at centre position, the hex jumps up and down and onto the floor:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJdelc_z3qAAt about 10 seconds in, the throttle is in the middle and I don't touch it again until I shut it off after the crash at the end. Sorry for poor quality.At the moment, I am so fed up with it, I think I'd really like a replacement, but at the same time, it would be much easier if it could be fixed and I can try out FPV at christmas with all the family here."

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am wondering if you need to adjust your Gains a little? Now I am certainly no expert, but the reaction just seems very slow to me.

Also can you share where you mounted the DJI Naza, and if the ESC outs are pointing to the front of the 550?

View attachment 8309

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 375

Mon0bLE

I am wondering if you need to adjust your Gains a little? Now I am certainly no expert, but the reaction just seems very slow to me.

Also can you share where you mounted the DJI Naza, and if the ESC outs are pointing to the front of the 550?

View attachment 10669
I had thought it might be the gains. I had had them on around 160 and I lowered them to 145. I had presumed that the movements were the oscillations that DJI refer to as an indicator that the gains are too high. Do you think I should have increased rather than decreased the gains?

And the Naza is placed directly in the centre between the two plates of the frame and yes it is facing the right way.

whats your att gains set at? what batt and what is the set up ? did you buy it new?
Pending on set up, you could run as much as 200% at gains down too 100 in my experience..
Do tell more and i will try to help

just scene the video

the naza will not hold the craft in the wind.. the naza simply auto-levels so if the wind is blowing and you go to atti mode, it will self level however will not stay in 1 spot.. for this, you need the gps.. it will stay in 1 spot only if you have gps

Mon0bLE

whats your att gains set at? what batt and what is the set up ? did you buy it new?
Pending on set up, you could run as much as 200% at gains down too 100 in my experience..
Do tell more and i will try to help

Yes I bought it new and I'm using a 3s 5000mah lipo. At the moment the gains are around 145 but I'm not at home so I can't tell you exactly. I've had them as high as 165 before.

regarding your second post, I think you may be misunderstanding my problem. My naza is not able to hold ALTITUDE. I am not bothered about the horizontal movements, I realise that I need GPS for this. In the video you see that the throttle is at centre and I am not moving it up or down. Therefore the hex should be staying vertically level and moving only horizontally.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Out of interest, I did not notice the size blade you are using? Can you elaborate on that for me?

Reason I ask, I put the 10" on mine just to see what it would do, it was all over the place and not very stable.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Basic Gain Pitch 160
Basic Gain Roll 160
Basic Gain Yaw 150
Basic Gain Vetical 160
Attitude Gain Roll 130
Attitude Gain Pitch 130
Battery 3s 2200

I copied these numbers from another user that has a 550, running 9.5" Props, might give you some base figures to try, but it may differ with prop sizes, weight and so on.

I have also seen another using Graupner 10.5" Props, using a 4s 35c -60c 6000mAh using the default numbers.

There are more numbers in this spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au16aK6Q-0p0dENkdXVGVHJLRm5fRTFQdjBZbUhxZ3c&pli=1#gid=0

Benchmark

Try to recalibrate your IMU in the setup assistant.

see page 36 of the manual for this.

Also while you are in Naza assistant make sure you PC has internet connection then check if you are running the latest firmwere and software.

Mon0bLE

Out of interest, I did not notice the size blade you are using? Can you elaborate on that for me?

Reason I ask, I put the 10" on mine just to see what it would do, it was all over the place and not very stable.

This is interesting. I have only ever used 10" props. I will have to try with 8s when I get the time.

Basic Gain Pitch 160
Basic Gain Roll 160
Basic Gain Yaw 150
Basic Gain Vetical 160
Attitude Gain Roll 130
Attitude Gain Pitch 130
Battery 3s 2200

I copied these numbers from another user that has a 550, running 9.5" Props, might give you some base figures to try, but it may differ with prop sizes, weight and so on.

I have also seen another using Graupner 10.5" Props, using a 4s 35c -60c 6000mAh using the default numbers.

There are more numbers in this spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au16aK6Q-0p0dENkdXVGVHJLRm5fRTFQdjBZbUhxZ3c&pli=1#gid=0

Thanks, this is very useful, I'll give it a go.

Try to recalibrate your IMU in the setup assistant.

see page 36 of the manual for this.

Also while you are in Naza assistant make sure you PC has internet connection then check if you are running the latest firmwere and software.

The IMU is the one thing I haven't altered yet. I'll have a look. And yes everything is up to date.

meme

Haven't read the whole Thread, but it seems to me that you had Sun on the left side of the Naza. Apply some black tape there and try again.

-meme

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Dumb question, but what has sun got to do with these units? am I missing out on something?

Ohh, I searched around and found what your talking about. WOW.... Seems maybe the sunlight heats up the Naza just enough to maybe increase the pressure inside the unit, slight oversight on DJI's side there. :livid:

Jeppa

I also had the exact same problem. I tried the black tape and now it flies like a champ! They should put this in the DJI set-up guide!
As soon as i flew the craft after sticking on the tape, flying became so easy and i was actually confident with it. Took the 6d up to shoot some pics.

Mon0bLE

so i've just been out flying and testing different gains. unfortunately, nothing really seems to affect the issue very much. if there was any improvement, it was very minor. i haven't put any black tape on yet, i will try this later. however, this morning there was no direct sunlight - it was cloudy and early in the winter morning - and i'm still not sure this is the problem.
I had a thought though, my gopro footage tends to be quite shaky at the moment, do you think vibrations could be affecting the naza??