LiFe Batteries and Voltage Protection

scapekey

Greetings!

I'm new to the hobby and learning lots from this forum.

Question: Does anyone know how to configure Voltage Protection when using A123 or LiFe batteries?

Long Version:

I took a chance after understanding the science (and not the RC implications) and had some A123 LiFe packs assembled custom.

Does anyone have any experience with using these cells? Especially regarding the Voltage Protection drop-down "option" of Lipo exclusively.

I'm decent with electronics (arduino and the like) and these cells offer 2300 mah at 3.3 V. My 6S 19.6 V A123 pack is rated at 9600 mAh. Oh, and the 4 I had custom built weigh 503 grams average. I'm not even going to mention what I pay for these but if you help me figure this out, I'll share.

So, how to I deal with DJI's voltage settings and my 6S A123/LiFe pack, at 19.6 V and 12 V max discharge?

I'll have lots to offer in future post but this issue is almost grounding my progress.

A hard earned newbie tip: Check your connections before and if you want to save BATTERIES, check the after too. (FPV has gotten me 3 times now on the bench).

Thanks and looking forward to participating.

Scapekey

(Will work on sig)

ps I'm currently using the 5S setting in DJI Assistant to bring me closer to my more literal voltages. This could be completely the wrong way. Acknowledged.

Last edited by a moderator:

scapekey

According the A123 data sheet, 50C continuous and 120C 10 sec burst.

A123 - ANR26650M1-B

Cell Weight 76g
Cell Capacity (nominal/minimum) (0.5C Rate) 2.5/2.4 Ah
Voltage (nominal) 3.3V
Internal Impedance (1kHz AC typical) 6m
Power* 2600 W/kg
Recommended Standard Charge Method 2.5A to 3.6V CCCV, 60 min
Recommended Fast Charge Method to 80% SOC 10A to 3.6V CC, 12 min
Maximum Continuous Discharge 50A
Maximum Pulse Discharge (10 seconds) 120A
Cycle Life at 20A Discharge, 100% DOD >1,000 cycles
Operating Temperature -30°C to 55°C
Storage Temperature -40°C to 60°C
According to my builder, 60C cont. and 200C burst are typical.

The Voltage Protection setup is confusing as crap.

Instead of constraining inputs, trust the pilot that he can calculate his own protection voltages. If I want watch my bird burst into flames at 400 ft., that's my decision.

If a noob, like me, doesn't RTFM and risks a sizable investment, then shame on them/me.

Thanks again!

nytram

I have just googled these and there only 2500ma each

Martyn